USC 2009-2010 Applicants

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
It seems like everyone who was once on the wait list and now has been accepted, interviewed back in November (4-5 months ago). Being on the wait list is frustrating... I hope I find out before August.:confused:

Members don't see this ad.

I was a November interviewee and I have been waitlisted.

Members don't see this ad :)
Farmercyst, what were your stats? What year are you in? Do you think think it's harder to get in now than before?

I got the yellow package today. But, I already made up my mind to attend UCSF, so good luck! Especially arrowheadgirl.

I got the yellow package today. But, I already made up my mind to attend UCSF, so good luck! Especially arrowheadgirl.

Hey OldPharm, your lucky..... I guess you could say the same thing about me as well, since I also got accepted into UCSF. But my #1 choice is USC, I know you may think I'm crazy.....

Hey mixmommy,

I got into USC but not UCSF. UCSF was my first choice. Too bad we can't trade schools

Hey OldPharm, your lucky..... I guess you could say the same thing about me as well, since I also got accepted into UCSF. But my #1 choice is USC, I know you may think I'm crazy.....

I'm married as well, so I completely understand why you would want to stay close to your family. Luckily my wife can relocate with me anywhere I go. :) Good luck!

hey for your lor, did you guys get them from profs and pharmacists? did anyone get letters from health professionals other than pharmacists? like nurses or doctors?

I asked two ochem professors and one pharmacist. Gl arrowheadgrl!

I have no idea. Maybe Pharmecyst knows?

I don't know from experience, but someone up thread mentioned they were reviewing the entire AC list and would be sending out emails. It sounded like they may be selective and not offer the waitlist to everyone. Again, this is what I've read on this thread only, I have no inside info on this.

Members don't see this ad :)
Farmercyst, what were your stats? What year are you in? Do you think think it's harder to get in now than before?

I had 3.49 cum/3.59 sci. No pharm experience, 8yrs customer service with SoCalGas. I was in Golden Key and Phi Kappa Phi, Eagle scout, and a couple other ECs. Graduated from that academic powerhouse Cal State San Bernardino:laugh:. Applied early decision to Oregon State, interviewed 10/13, transitioned to regular applicant status 10/25, and immediately applied to USC and Western. Applied to LLU (non-PharmCAS). Interviewed at Western in Feb, USC in March. Waitlisted at both. Got in at USC in May and Western in July. Rejected without interview at LLU, Denied at OSU (I think in April, so I know about long waits.)
I'm a P3 right now. We'll be getting our rotation selections next week or the week after.
I can't say if it's more difficult or not. My year they interviewed 600 people (150x4). Since then they've interviewed only 450 (150 in Nov, then 100x3). But the average GPA has increased as well (3.5 my year to >3.6 now) So there's less competition, but the competition is more fierce I guess.

is anyone applying to on-campus housing?
Please help!
I am not sure how convenient that is in relation to how expensive it is
Thanks!:)

I have a question about USC. The program at USC, does pharm school work with other schools? Like med school and other health professionals. For instance, do pharmacy students have connections with other health professionals? Or do pharmacy students only communicate and work with themselves? Is the pharm at USC an interdisciplinary program?

I have a question about USC. The program at USC, does pharm school work with other schools? Like med school and other health professionals. For instance, do pharmacy students have connections with other health professionals? Or do pharmacy students only communicate and work with themselves? Is the pharm at USC an interdisciplinary program?

It's something we're working on, but I think the only time you'll see real interdiscipilinary work is on 4th year rotations. Even then it's probably limited to a few settings (acute care, psych). We've had people from PT do lunchtime meetings on an EC basis, but it's not part of the curriculum. We have MDs who lecture, but not really from an interdisciplinary perspective, it's primarily just basic medical sciences (pathology, etc) I've heard Touro has a good interdisciplinary program, FWIW.

Thanx farmercyst.

Anyone else giving up their seats at USC?

Hey, if you hear from USC after being placed on the waiting list, please post.

LOL, yes I do agree.....Oh well, everything happens for a reason

I'm from the bay area, so moving to SoCal will be a life changing experience. USC and UCSF are both great programs. I feel very fortunate to have been accepted to USC. I wish you the best of luck at UCSF. SF is a beautiful city. It is just a bit cold foggy.

for those of us on AC/waitlist.... will we/have you been notified once your letter of intent has been received by the office?

its still early, but i was just wondering. obviously we wont get a nice e-mail with a number on it this year, but hopefully we will get something.

for those of us on AC/waitlist.... will we/have you been notified once your letter of intent has been received by the office?

its still early, but i was just wondering. obviously we wont get a nice e-mail with a number on it this year, but hopefully we will get something.

No idea. I haven't gotten anything from them yet. Will we know how many people will be on the waitlist?

Farmercyst, a few years back, did you return your waitlist form in right away, or did it take you a few days? I wonder how many people are on the list at the moment.

I was desperate with two waitlists and two rejections. That puppy was in the mail ASAP.

I faxed the expression of interest form in right away. I even called to make sure they got the fax bc I was debating whether or not I should mail it too. Even after they said they got the fax, I still wanted to mail it... way too worried about this. But I prob shouldn't mail it too b/c that would swamp them with unnecessary paper work. I hope they were serious when they said they got my fax. Did anyone else fax?

I don't have any acceptance so far, so it adds to stress... But mostly, I just really want to go to USC. I got rejected from UCSF 3/30 after my interview in Feb, but it wasn't a big deal to me b/c USC is always my first choice. This is getting pretty depressing.

Farmercyst, I went back to old threads, and you posted your acceptance on May 7th. I don't know how useful that info is to anyone, but just in case if anyone was wondering.

Farmercyst, a school that I am still considering has a policy that if you fail a class (lower than C-), you cannot progress, and you will be held back a year.

For USC, this is what I got from reading the website: "Students must successfully complete all required courses in the Pharm.D. curriculum with a minimum grade of C and a minimum cumulative grade point average of 3.0 to meet graduation requirements."

So what happens at USC when you get lower than a C? Do they let you take a make-up test? Or hold you back a year? How difficult is it really to pass each class? Also, I heard that class grade averages are usually 80-90%...is that true? That is pretty high.

Hello Everyone!

I just found out that I was accepted to USC after calling them this morning and discovering they had the wrong address on file for me. Now I am debating between University of Michigan and USC. Any thoughts on the two schools, good and bad? I really like Michigan's small class sizes and curriculum. They have a lot of rotation sites and a lot of hospitals in the area. Cost of living there is also not as much as the LA area. I don't know much about USC's program though, but it is in California, and I think I plan on working in California when I'm done. I would like to do a residency after I'm done, but that is not a certainty.

I am from San Francisco and attended UCI for undergrad. I'm most likely going to be declining acceptances to University of Colorado, Denver and SUNY-Buffalo.

Congrats to everyone on their acceptances and good luck to those who are waiting.

Thanks!!

I'm going to be submitting an extra LOR soon. Does anyone know how we go about submitting it? Do we have them email or send in the mail?

I'm going to be submitting an extra LOR soon. Does anyone know how we go about submitting it? Do we have them email or send in the mail?

Send in the mail.. to the admissions addy

Did you guys fax or mail your expression of interest form? What's your recommendation?

Anyone heard back from USC since waitlist email?

Oh and you know what I find ironic?
In the waitlist email, one of the attachment letter said that we should return the form so they can keep us informed...
but on the form, at the end, they said that they may or may not contact us until August 17th... lol

Maybe i'll just contact them if they don't contact me... lol

I didn't apply to Pacific or Western, but I read somewhere on the forum that one of those schools let people know whether they are high or mid or low waitlisted... I wish USC would do that, because I really want to find out where I rank... mostly, I just want to go to USC...

I got accepted, but I am declining my offer...good luck to those on waitlist!

I faxed the expression of interest form in right away. I even called to make sure they got the fax bc I was debating whether or not I should mail it too. Even after they said they got the fax, I still wanted to mail it... way too worried about this. But I prob shouldn't mail it too b/c that would swamp them with unnecessary paper work. I hope they were serious when they said they got my fax. Did anyone else fax?

I don't have any acceptance so far, so it adds to stress... But mostly, I just really want to go to USC. I got rejected from UCSF 3/30 after my interview in Feb, but it wasn't a big deal to me b/c USC is always my first choice. This is getting pretty depressing.

Farmercyst, I went back to old threads, and you posted your acceptance on May 7th. I don't know how useful that info is to anyone, but just in case if anyone was wondering.

Wow... me and you want this SOOOO bad arrowheadgirl. Thats crazy. I did the same exact thing. Faxed it right away. Called and checked. Thought about mailing it too. I think I even faxed it twice, just to make sure it got there. This is my last straw aswell. No acceptances yet. USC is my number 1 choice... and is also my ONLY choice. If I don't get in to SC off the waitlist... I'll have to re-apply and do this all over again next year. The thought of even having to do PharmCAS all over disgusts me.

But I guess your right.. all we could do is HOPE and PRAY.

Wow... me and you want this SOOOO bad arrowheadgirl. Thats crazy. I did the same exact thing. Faxed it right away. Called and checked. Thought about mailing it too. I think I even faxed it twice, just to make sure it got there. This is my last straw aswell. No acceptances yet. USC is my number 1 choice... and is also my ONLY choice. If I don't get in to SC off the waitlist... I'll have to re-apply and do this all over again next year. The thought of even having to do PharmCAS all over disgusts me.

But I guess your right.. all we could do is HOPE and PRAY.

Yeah, and it would be an entire year of waiting. Yuck! For so many reasons, I hope I get in USC. Good luck to you and me!

Farmercyst, a school that I am still considering has a policy that if you fail a class (lower than C-), you cannot progress, and you will be held back a year.

For USC, this is what I got from reading the website: "Students must successfully complete all required courses in the Pharm.D. curriculum with a minimum grade of C and a minimum cumulative grade point average of 3.0 to meet graduation requirements."

So what happens at USC when you get lower than a C? Do they let you take a make-up test? Or hold you back a year? How difficult is it really to pass each class? Also, I heard that class grade averages are usually 80-90%...is that true? That is pretty high.

You must pass each course with a C or better. If you do not pass, you may (most likely will) be held back 1 year and can not progress until the course is passed. I know a couple people who have been held back from my year. This occurs at other schools of pharmacy as well. Most course coordinators, not all, curve courses so that the average is a B. I got a 67 in one course and got a B in the course. So there is some pretty serious grade inflation. Each course is different. Some give +/-, some curve, some have strict standard grading scales (80-89 =B, 90+=A), some gave non-standard scales (70+=B, 85+=A). It's hard to say for any given class what will happen, but the end result is that of 189 people who started, we still have 182 going into 4th year.
The other issue of the 3.0 to continue to 4th year can be problematic since B- or less will get you into trouble. I was actually on probation for 1 semester with a 2.97. I'm currently up to a 3.2??. Technically, you can only be on probation for 2 consecutive semesters, but I know a few people who probably have been on probation since 1st semester and they're still continuing. I'm not sure they'll let you into 4th year with <3.0 though. They're not supposed to, but I have no way to monitor that.

Did you guys fax or mail your expression of interest form? What's your recommendation?

I mailed mine and got it certified so that way I could track it online and find out who signed for it at USC.

Hello Everyone!

I just found out that I was accepted to USC after calling them this morning and discovering they had the wrong address on file for me. Now I am debating between University of Michigan and USC. Any thoughts on the two schools, good and bad? I really like Michigan's small class sizes and curriculum. They have a lot of rotation sites and a lot of hospitals in the area. Cost of living there is also not as much as the LA area. I don't know much about USC's program though, but it is in California, and I think I plan on working in California when I'm done. I would like to do a residency after I'm done, but that is not a certainty.

I am from San Francisco and attended UCI for undergrad. I'm most likely going to be declining acceptances to University of Colorado, Denver and SUNY-Buffalo.

Congrats to everyone on their acceptances and good luck to those who are waiting.

Thanks!!

I'm not sure what Univ. of Michigan has to offer, but USC is a great school. In addition to the hard & vigorous curriculum, I heard 1st yr students only go to class in the mornings (get out by 12ish), there is a sense of campus community, and for me the primary reason why I want to go to USC is that > 50% of the pharmacist in southern cali are USC graduates (talk about great networking abilities), and etc....
Furthermore, if you want to eventually practice in Cali, why not stay in Cali? Your going to have to take the Cali. license exam anyways.....

Well, goodluck in whichever program you decide to attend :thumbup:

I wonder if they start filling in seats if one becomes available, or if they wait after the two weeks to mail new letters out...

I don't think the deadline for deposit has past yet for the people offered admission most recently. I don't expect anything until at least a whileafter this point. Just been keeping busy and trying not to think about it too much. :xf:

I don't think the deadline for deposit has past yet for the people offered admission most recently. I don't expect anything until at least a whileafter this point. Just been keeping busy and trying not to think about it too much. :xf:

good luck to you. and me. and those who are still waiting.

The deadline is the 22nd