USC Class of 2012: Trojan Family Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
4 hours a day may be true on certain days but not during your 1st year clerkship period, IV rotation, elective days and certainly not during your 3rd year (9:00 a.m. to 3-4 p.m). You are required to take 18+ units per semester so you will be spending some time in school, some days more than others.

I also worked a lot during my 2nd and 3rd year. In retrospective, it was not worth it. The money was good but it is only 1/4 the pharmacist rate. The experience was good but pharmacy is not difficult and it is something you can learn by working full time during the summer.

Enjoy your time in pharmacy school. Meet new people and explore your options. Remember, you have the rest of your life to work so take your time.

reminds me of someone who said..
you have 40 years in the workforce...
and i was like 40?!??!?!?!?!? i dont think so...
i plan to retire at the age of 45! :laugh:

if u want to know what everyone else does.. dont listen to me.. im rarely the norm. again i would consider myself and my thinking most non-traditional.. :D sometimes I'd go out of my way to be different.. :p

Members don't see this ad.

oh.. one other thing..

I would take out the maximum amount you can of all the subsidized loans even unsubsidized while you're at it.

why?

well thinking in terms of the REAL WORLD....... not just your academic bubble...

it's the cheapest money you will ever get...

I wouldn't pass up the opportunity to get my hands on cheap money if i had the chance.

dont be afraid of debt. debt is your friend. at least good debt is. I'm not talking about credit card debt. ever thinking of buying a house?? gonna be 5x the debt of your measley little school loans and probably at a way higher interest rate too..

im only taking out loans now cuz i need it to pay off a second mortgage that's at 10% interest rate!

cheap money now.. no credit check or collateral needed... take it!!

i'd rather have money and not need it than need money and not have it..

if you dont understand what im talking about now... in 10 years, after you've been out in the real world for a bit..... you'll know EXACTLY what im talking about..

remember my advice :D

oh.. one other thing..

I would take out the maximum amount you can of all the subsidized loans even unsubsidized while you're at it.

why?

well thinking in terms of the REAL WORLD....... not just your academic bubble...

I wouldn't pass up the opportunity to get my hands on cheap money if i had the chance.

dont be afraid of debt. debt is your friend. at least good debt is. I'm not talking about credit card debt. ever thinking of buying a house?? gonna be 5x the debt of your measley little school loans and probably at a way higher interest rate too..

im only taking out loans now cuz i need it to pay off a second mortgage that's at 10% interest rate!

if you dont understand what im talking about now... in 10 years, after you've been out in the real world for a bit..... you'll know EXACTLY what im talking about..

Thanks your advice has really been helpful. :)

Members don't see this ad :)
oh.. one other thing..

why?

I'm trying to get your statements to jive. Maximize school loans to retire by 45?? I'm not saying don't maximize sub+unsub. Most people will have to do at least that (tuition is $4K above max for both combined anyway), but paying that plus living expenses off tends to take at least 10 years, which gives you 10 years to save sufficient funds to retire. Granted, if you're not on solo income it's easier, but I don't see the 45 year old at retirement happening for most people.

I'm trying to get your statements to jive. Maximize school loans to retire by 45?? I'm not saying don't maximize sub+unsub. Most people will have to do at least that (tuition is $4K above max for both combined anyway), but paying that plus living expenses off tends to take at least 10 years, which gives you 10 years to save sufficient funds to retire. Granted, if you're not on solo income it's easier, but I don't see the 45 year old at retirement happening for most people.

retiring by 45 and maximizing school loans are too unrelated posts.. im not saying you should do one to get the other.

more like
1- maximize school loans and dont feel bad about it.. it's good debt and cheap money.. get it while u can..
2- my personal goal is to retire by 45... and of course most people cant do it but i'm not like most people. :)

dont build your own roadblocks..
dont say no to yourself

there are three kinds of people in this world
people who think the cup is half full
people who think the cup is half empty
and people who go find running water to keep their cups overflowing so they're always at 100%..

there's many ways to fund your education than just loans or work... have you guys thought about looking for scholarships? dont just complain about how expensive it is.. do something about it...

easier said than done??? dont be the half cup!! make it happen!!

If you are going to max out your unsubsidized loan to pay your tuition or to invest then that is fine (if you have time to follow your investment). But if you are going to max out your unsub loan so you can put it in the bank, then that's a bad idea because the unsub interest is much higher. In addition, most people who borrow more money than they actually need tend to waste it on things that they don't actually need. I say only borrow what you need.

Last edited:
reminds me of someone who said..
you have 40 years in the workforce...
and i was like 40?!??!?!?!?!? i dont think so...
i plan to retire at the age of 45! :laugh:

Just to be realistic, you are not going to be able to retire at age 45 being a pharmacist.

Just to be realistic, you are not going to be able to retire at age 45 being a pharmacist.

i suppose tis getting too much off topic.... We can keep this about USC School of pharmacy.

retiring by 45 and maximizing school loans are too unrelated posts.. im not saying you should do one to get the other.

more like
1- maximize school loans and dont feel bad about it.. it's good debt and cheap money.. get it while u can..
2- my personal goal is to retire by 45... and of course most people cant do it but i'm not like most people. :)

dont build your own roadblocks..
dont say no to yourself

there are three kinds of people in this world
people who think the cup is half full
people who think the cup is half empty
and people who go find running water to keep their cups overflowing so they're always at 100%..

there's many ways to fund your education than just loans or work... have you guys thought about looking for scholarships? dont just complain about how expensive it is.. do something about it...

easier said than done??? dont be the half cup!! make it happen!!

Speaking of scholarships, do you have a list of scholarships that are available for Trojans. Ones that are USC specific?

USC sop gives out about 75 scholarships a year. they have a scholarship banquet every april to select recipients who have won (not all) i think cuz they dont have room. if you want the list.. it's easily found on the usc sop website of who has donated for a scholarship... I've found that some are renewable but I'm just guessing only because I happen to have gotten the same one two years in a row but a different one my third year.

http://www.usc.edu/schools/pharmacy/alumni/giving/scholarship.html

The fao office usually sends out an application at the end of the year so it's open to all students. You should have known about it as well since it was sent thru email to the entire school but I know many people delete w/o reading

the deadline to apply is now closed... you might have to wait til next year if u didnt already apply.

Did anybody have trouble signing the promissory note using the ECSI website? For some reason, the system is saying that my social security number does not match.

If it worked for you, what steps did you take?

Thanks!

Did anybody have trouble signing the promissory note using the ECSI website? For some reason, the system is saying that my social security number does not match.

If it worked for you, what steps did you take?

Thanks!

Same here. Can not login at all. Anyone else can login in?

The financial aid office is never on top of things. I suggest contacting them but knowing them, it will take a while for them to fix it.

Members don't see this ad :)
For those of you who are slackers (as myself), if you need to get your titers/physical/tb the number is 3234425631.

If you don't know now ya know. By the way they were due on Friday.:hardy:

for Those Of You Who Are Slackers (as Myself), If You Need To Get Your Titers/physical/tb The Number Is 3234425631.

If You Don't Know Now Ya Know. By The Way They Were Due On Friday.:hardy:

Thanks

Hey guys, i've been trying to sign up at ECSI and its not working? Has it worked for anybody?

thanks

Hey guys, i've been trying to sign up at ECSI and its not working? Has it worked for anybody?

thanks

It's working now so go to their website and try again =)
Btw you should have received an e-mail from USC regarding the procedure.

Thanks PaperDome for the updated news!

I faxed my Stafford Loan request form to USC FAO on 7/29 and still haven't received a notification regarding the MPN to date? Should I be worried? :scared:

It's working now so go to their website and try again =)
Btw you should have received an e-mail from USC regarding the procedure.

I didn't receive any emails from them. When did they send out the email?

And I JUST tried it again...and it didn't work. =( Worried.

Is this the correct website? https://www.ecsi.net/prom3k/

Choy,

I faxed my request around that same time and the FAO didn't get back to me either. There my be an influx of people because I called and it was sounded pretty busy.

I used Wachovia which does not tend to our program (even though it is on the lender list). When I called I was directed to find another lender.

Thanks PaperDome for the updated news!

I faxed my Stafford Loan request form to USC FAO on 7/29 and still haven't received a notification regarding the MPN to date? Should I be worried? :scared:

Last edited:
Choy,

I faxed my request around that same time and the FAO didn't get back to me either. There my be an influx of people because I called and it was sounded pretty busy.

I used Wachovia which does not tend to our program (even though it is on the lender list). When I called I was directed to find another lender.

I got a confirmation from the FAO via my usc email addy

I didn't receive any emails from them. When did they send out the email?

And I JUST tried it again...and it didn't work. =( Worried.

Is this the correct website? https://www.ecsi.net/prom3k/

Correct website, but I think they sent the email to our school email account on 8/5/08. Also, it should work.I just finished the process.Don't know what going on?

Correct website, but I think they sent the email to our school email account on 8/5/08. Also, it should work.I just finished the process.Don't know what going on?

Thanks. You know what the problem is.. i guess you are onlly suposed to fill it out if you are getting a health professional loan? Anyway, after days of going back and forth with our FA office and finally calling ECSI's customer service line, i figured out that i don't even need to do it. HOW ANNOYING!

I got a confirmation that my stafford loan request form was recieved and they forwarded my info to my lender. i didn't get one, however, for my Grad-Plus loan request form. Has anyone recieved a confirmation for the grad plus loan request?

I got a confirmation that my stafford loan request form was recieved and they forwarded my info to my lender. i didn't get one, however, for my Grad-Plus loan request form. Has anyone recieved a confirmation for the grad plus loan request?

I haven't received any confirmation for both Stafford and Grad-plus loans yet. I faxed both requests on 7/31. I'm so confused. How am I going to sign the Master Promissory Note?

I haven't received any confirmation for both Stafford and Grad-plus loans yet. I faxed both requests on 7/31. I'm so confused. How am I going to sign the Master Promissory Note?

The school might have sent the confirmation email to your USC email address. Good Luck!

Do you guys know when will be the exam for the top 100 drugs?

i talked to someone from the financial aid office and they said that for the grad plus loan, we have to contact the lenders ourselves so they can do a credit check and have you e-sign the master promissory note. i did that and my lender told me that they will then contact the USC financial aid office to certify the loan and arrange for when the loan will be disbursed. As for the Stafford loan, from what i understand from the conversation, the financial aid office contacts the lender you chose. once they do that, i guess the lender will contact us to sign the stafford loan MPN. can anyone else confirm this?

i talked to someone from the financial aid office and they said that for the grad plus loan, we have to contact the lenders ourselves so they can do a credit check and have you e-sign the master promissory note. i did that and my lender told me that they will then contact the USC financial aid office to certify the loan and arrange for when the loan will be disbursed. As for the Stafford loan, from what i understand from the conversation, the financial aid office contacts the lender you chose. once they do that, i guess the lender will contact us to sign the stafford loan MPN. can anyone else confirm this?

The whole process is a bit fuzzy, but here is what I've done and it kind of matches what you heard:

My Stafford lender, CitiBank, never contacted me. I turned in my Stafford request form (I can't think of the exact name of the form) to USC and a couple weeks later I logged in to the CitiBank website and signed the MPN electronically.

As far as the PLUS loan, I signed the MPN right when I passed the credit check. My results still haven't been posted on my financial aid site. I am assuming that the lender is contacting USC because the lender's website says there is no further action needed on my part.

Enjoy your last few free days!