USC First YR Cost of Attendance $152k 2020-2021

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Yea I thought the debt was too much and went PA instead (my whole program costs less than 1 year at USC). Good thing cause I didn't like anything hands on in PA school, so I don't think I would have made a good dentist! It was a very easy switch in terms of pre-requisites, I just needed a little paid healthcare experience, so I had to take a gap year. So if anyone thinks they are too deep in their pre-dental journey, there are always other options to consider as long as you haven't started d school yet. If I were a freshman in college again, I would have majored in nursing. Would have been an even cheaper journey overall. I'm still bitter that ADA refused to refund my $400 testing fee, which speaks a lot about them..

what do you think about PA job prospect in a big metro city? my friend graduated from PA school and had no problem finding a job in Socal in 2019.

do you think you will have a happy career being a PA?

you were in my cycle of applying back in 2016. I remembered you. It has been a while. iirc, you also applied to dental school right? or back then you were preparing to apply but never did?

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 users
what do you think about PA job prospect in a big metro city? my friend graduated from PA school and had no problem finding a job in Socal in 2019.

do you think you will have a happy career being a PA?

you were in my cycle of applying back in 2016. I remembered you. It has been a while. iirc, you also applied to dental school right? or back then you were preparing to apply but never did?

I never went through with applying, but I was studying for DAT. I did have an oral surgeon who had to rewrite his LOR for me, which was a little awkward. Do I think I will be happy? So far I am happy. I don't think I would have been happier in medical school, as there is a special suck that comes with being a student on clinical rotations. There is a lot of unknowns in the PA profession with our recognition as preferred midlevel providers. NPs have made great strides with their recognition and practice rights. PA leadership and older PAs have turned out to be a lot more backward thinking than I thought when I was applying to schools. PA job market is very variable geographically. It's good in metro areas for people who have experience. As a new grad I am prepared having to move somewhere more rural for the time being.

Reactions: 1 user
Any idea what the Average starting salary is in both metro and rural? Did you do a 2 or 3 year program? Any plans on specializing? Derm, orthopedics,etc? I’m trying to advise some of my cousins on what profession they should pursue.

I never went through with applying, but I was studying for DAT. I did have an oral surgeon who had to rewrite his LOR for me, which was a little awkward. Do I think I will be happy? So far I am happy. I don't think I would have been happier in medical school, as there is a special suck that comes with being a student on clinical rotations. There is a lot of unknowns in the PA profession with our recognition as preferred midlevel providers. NPs have made great strides with their recognition and practice rights. PA leadership and older PAs have turned out to be a lot more backward thinking than I thought when I was applying to schools. PA job market is very variable geographically. It's good in metro areas for people who have experience. As a new grad I am prepared having to move somewhere more rural for the time being.

Members don't see this ad :)
Any idea what the Average starting salary is in both metro and rural? Did you do a 2 or 3 year program? Any plans on specializing? Derm, orthopedics,etc? I’m trying to advise some of my cousins on what profession they should pursue.

I'll PM you as not to diverge the thread

When I attend interviewed at USC in 2016, their first year cost is 130k$ something iirc, They let us have a presentation with their own “financial advisor” who just said either IRB or you will be crushed. I asked jokingly if I die will my debt still be forgiven which crack up the whole group of interviewees.

their finance guy also said expect to get paid 98k$ first year out in LA area. Attending that interview set a lot of my own perspective though. I got accepted but went to another less expensive school.

I follow insta of some USC dental students and they also seem to live it up. probably most of them are from wealthy families

When I attend interviewed at USC in 2016, their first year cost is 130k$ something iirc, They let us have a presentation with their own “financial advisor” who just said either IRB or you will be crushed. I asked jokingly if I die will my debt still be forgiven which crack up the whole group of interviewees.

their finance guy also said expect to get paid 98k$ first year out in LA area. Attending that interview set a lot of my own perspective though. I got accepted but went to another less expensive school.

I follow insta of some USC dental students and they also seem to live it up. probably most of them are from wealthy families
Hm... with an interview like that I’d be surprised anyone would attend that school. I know I certainly wouldn’t....

Hm... with an interview like that I’d be surprised anyone would attend that school. I know I certainly wouldn’t....
You way underestimate the lack of financial knowledge of pre dents. I'm convinced most don't even know how interest works.

• Haha
Reactions: 4 users
Personally, if USC or NYU is the only school you got accepted, HPSP is highly recommended. Even a 3-year program would help you a lot.

Reactions: 2 users
You way underestimate the lack of financial knowledge of pre dents. I'm convinced most don't even know how interest works.
Your assumptions are supported by hard numbers.

“28 percent of first-year college students with federal debt reported that they did not have any federal debt. This may be partly the result of confusion about federal vs. other kinds of debt. Among students with federal debt, 14 percent reported having no debt at all. In other words, more than one-quarter of students do not understand that they have a loan from the federal government, and about half of these students appear to be genuinely unaware of the fact that they have borrowed for their education at all.”

Big Hoss

• Haha
Reactions: 5 users

Imma be honest, insta is a pretty bad representation of real life. I have friends that are on yachts/vacations all the time on their instas, IRL they are broke asf

USC kids are obviously really good at borrowing money, so I wouldn't be surprised if their lifestyle is funded by borrowed money/credit as well.

Not trying to throw shade, just sayin...

Reactions: 10 users
Imma be honest, insta is a pretty bad representation of real life. I have friends that are on yachts/vacations all the time on their instas, IRL they are broke asf

Cannot agree with this more. I have friends who choose “live it up” and they are paying ridiculous amount of money into interest and won’t even touch their principle for the next 3-4 years because they owe so much money. These are the same group of people who travel and eat out all the time at fancy restaurants. On IG they may look good but I guarantee you their bank statements don’t look so hot.

Last edited:
Reactions: 6 users

USC kids are obviously really good at borrowing money, so I wouldn't be surprised if their lifestyle is funded by borrowed money/credit as well.

Not trying to throw shade, just sayin...

Or some of those lifestyles are just faked. You can rent a jet for photoshoots.

Reactions: 3 users
Or some of those lifestyles are just faked. You can rent a jet for photoshoots.

This is so deplorable.

Imagine needing to fake being rich for validation. I almost feel bad for "influencers" and other people that feel the need to live a fake life for the gram.
Their camera is living a better life than they are.

Reactions: 6 users
this is the reason I am a "conspiracy theorist". Not a silly one, but I am rational (or I think I am). The entire financial system is the

interesting and refreshing take. haven't really heard of this or looked into it myself. May I ask what program? I can private message if you would prefer that.

feel free to PM me

According to ADA HPI data, they received 180 applications for 6 positions for the 2019 entering class.

Compare that to the 99, 15 and 62 applications that UCLA , MedStar, and Maimonides received, respectively. The difference is those programs PAY you to become an orthodontist. Another piece of evidence showing that most dental students are completely ret@rded when it comes to finances.

Hi,
Sorry for bumping an old thread, but I tried to search the data, and couldn't find it. Would you mind posting the link of the ADA HPI data, I would be curious to know how many applicants there are for each Ortho programs. Thanks a lot in advance. :)

edit: nevermind found it!

Last edited:
According to ADA HPI data, they received 180 applications for 6 positions for the 2019 entering class.

Compare that to the 99, 15 and 62 applications that UCLA , MedStar, and Maimonides received, respectively. The difference is those programs PAY you to become an orthodontist. Another piece of evidence showing that most dental students are completely ret@rded when it comes to finances.
Can you share the link to this data?

Unless you can't think of doing anything other than dental, go to DO or MD school