USC-Greenville vs Morehouse

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.

HeartArtist

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey All,

So far I have 2 acceptances (feel very blessed btw) and both programs have some pros and cons.

Pros
Morehouse has excellent pass rates, has mentors galore, does a lot of work for underserved populations, and has Grady Memorial as a teaching hospital, where I will definitely see everything there is to see. Morehouse has traditional lecture style classes which is something I like.

Greenville starts you day one with EMT training so you get some patient care experience right away, and can possibly follow the patients like a longitudinal track type deal. The school is very tech savy with touch screen this and that all around campus, and you are gifted a laptop and ipad with all books downloaded on them. The teaching hospital is the Greenville Memorial Hospital and the school is actually located on its campus, like 100 yards away if that.

Cons
Morehouse is focused on primary care, and I have a strong interest in surgery so I'm not sure if I will get the preparation I really need to be attractive and knowledgeable enough for a surgical residency. Also, the facilities are all pretty dated. The college is not on the campus of the teaching hospital, it's a short distance away, but still too far to walk. There is no immediate primary care opportunity, its strictly book work for the first 2 years (other than asking to shadow). A price for a computer is built into tuition, and its a pc, no way to make it a mac :mad: (petty, yes, but still an issue)

Greenville is a brand new division of the Univ of South Carolina School of Medicine so there is no proven track record as far as board scores/matches go. They also have a larger problem based student group learning model with a small percentage of the education being taught in a traditional lecture style (not sure if I like this yet).

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Hey All,

So far I have 2 acceptances (feel very blessed btw) and both programs have some pros and cons.

Pros
Morehouse has excellent pass rates, has mentors galore, does a lot of work for underserved populations, and has Grady Memorial as a teaching hospital, where I will definitely see everything there is to see. Morehouse has traditional lecture style classes which is something I like.

Greenville starts you day one with EMT training so you get some patient care experience right away, and can possibly follow the patients like a longitudinal track type deal. The school is very tech savy with touch screen this and that all around campus, and you are gifted a laptop and ipad with all books downloaded on them. The teaching hospital is the Greenville Memorial Hospital and the school is actually located on its campus, like 100 yards away if that.

Cons
Morehouse is super focused on primary care, and I have a strong interest in surgery so I'm not sure if I will get the preparation I really need to be attractive and knowledgeable enough for a surgical residency. Also, the facilities are all pretty dated. The college is not on the campus of the teaching hospital, it's a short distance away, but still too far to walk. There is no immediate primary care opportunity, its strictly book work for the first 2 years (other than asking to shadow). A price for a computer is built into tuition, and its a pc, no way to make it a mac :mad: (petty, yes, but still an issue)

Greenville is a brand new division of the Univ of South Carolina School of Medicine so there is no proven track record as far as board scores/matches go. They also have a larger problem based student group learning model with a small percentage of the education being taught in a traditional lecture style (not sure if I like this yet).

Any present students from either are welcomed to give me their input or rip on me for being a whiny premadonna :D Thanks!

Couple of things... I am guessing you are a SC resident?

I wouldn't necessary call your Pros pros and your cons cons. Those ipads and computers you are given at Greenville... you are still paying for it. Also, no way to know until going through it... but searching through the threads in pre-allo and allo will tell you that the earlier clinical exposure is a gimmick to draw you in. Now year-long 'preceptorships' and other programs are a different issue.

I would look at the cost/location factors here... ie Atlanta is on a different level than Greenville. If you are a South Carolina resident... then I would chose it if I was ok with the bigger focus on group activity.

I'm actually OOS, I currently live in Atlanta. But Greenville has been known to offer OOS waivers and pretty excellent scholarships to decrease OOS tuition. I believe I saw one OOS applicant say he only had to pay 16K/yr after the scholarship and waiver. And I'm pretty sure that the cost of the mac/ipad are not built in but given to new students. The tuition is exactly the same as the well established Columbia campus, but I'm not sure if they also receive these "gifts." I guess the smart thing is to wait to see what my scholarship offer will be, if I even get it...

Status
Not open for further replies.