USC interview--open or closed file?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

jmejia1

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I was trying to gather some info on the interviews at interviewfeedback, but it seems to be down. can anyone fill me in? is it a laidback interview, closed file, etc?

Members don't see this ad.

Mine was a closed file. It was exhausting having to reiterate everything that was stated in my application. All i wanted was a cup of water

Both are closed. Mine was fairly laid back, but you will get a few ethical questions.

Members don't see this ad :)
Mine was really laid back too. It ended up almost like all the open file interviews I had - I still spent most of the time talking about activities I had done. I didn't get any ethical questions from either interviewer.

Is it REALLY closed file?

The first thing my student interviewer told me was that he didn't know a thing about me. However, about halfway through the interview, he brought up something I wrote about in my personal statement-- it was very specific and personal, so he couldn't have guessed it. I didn't think much of it at the time, but I am a little skeptical now. Perhaps he was able to read just the personal statement?

I didn't get the impression they knew anything about me at all. Maybe your interviewer was just psychic :)

Both of mine were completely blind. My interviewers didn't even know where I went to school. However they were the longest interviews I have ever had in my life (1.5-2 hours each). Very conversational and relaxed though. They really made me like USC.