USC Keck (MD) vs. Tufts (MD/MPH)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

DrSnowman

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi guys, I urgently need help deciding between these two schools (by April 30th)! Thanks in advance!

USC Keck
Pros
  • Close to home/support network
  • LA County hospital, great clinical opportunities
  • HEAL Program and global health programs
  • Loved the campus on Interview Day
  • More research opportunities
  • Great match list -- coming to West Coast for residency is my plan

Cons
  • Not yet selected for MPH (would have to apply for that later) --> that might make it even more expensive
  • Very expensive
  • Doesn't have a medical simulation lab

Tufts
Pros
  • MD/MPH dual degree is guaranteed -- got very similar aid as with USC, but I'm wondering if pursuing an MPH at USC will make it even more expensive to go to USC
  • Great volunteering opportunities; emphasis on community service learning
  • Excellent clinical training
  • Many global health opps with a Global Health Travel Grant
  • Boston - great city to be in as a med student
  • Also has a good match list -- could go to CA if I want to, great East Coast options too

Cons
  • Pretty expensive
  • Would have to re-establish my support network in the East Coast
  • Newly established curriculum that may have kinks in it
  • Didn't feel so great about it on Interview Day (this may have been due to the cloudy weather and snow)

Summary: USC is closer to home and has many of the programs that I'm interested in, but I'm very concerned about the COA, especially if I want to pursue a dual degree. (Cold weather is not an issue for me as I've lived in cold places before.) Any help making this decision asap would be appreciated!

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
As of now, are they both similar in cost?

You could always choose to do a lower cost MPH if you go to USC (correct me if I’m wrong, but if you pursue an MD/MPH the MPH doesn’t necessarily have to be at the same school right? You could apply to other programs)

I had these exact two choices and I withdrew from Tufts last night. Likewise, both were similar in terms of cost, but as a SoCal native, I figured Tufts would be more expensive due to flights back home/moving costs (it’s going to cost me nothing to move for Keck)/buying a car in Boston for 3rd/4th year. Not to mention since I’d also like to match in CA and do away rotations at specific places my 4th year, those would also be additional flights to CA I’d have to pay for my 4th year if I lived in Boston!

Both are great schools though and I know you won’t go wrong with either. Just wanted to share some perspective in case you hadn’t considered those costs :)

• Love
Reactions: 1 users
Go to Keck. Close to home, costs differences are negligible and are worth it anymore for the increase in prestige that comes w USC.

clinical experience is unmatched at LAC.

• Love
Reactions: 1 users