*USC Keck School of Medicine Class of 2011*

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

dago

University of Kentucky
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
No no wait. I'm here. It's not sad. Join in people!!!

I gotta get fightingon over here, he'll join. Actually I think he interviewed on the same day as me.

yess!!! its about time we got everyone together...now i will share a special picture with you all so you can see what SC is all ABOUT

ok if u couldnt tell...it is an ice sculpture of tommy trojan, our mascot...you'll learn all about him, i promise. its also about to melt soon :cool:

Attachments

• Image006.jpg
    Image006.jpg
    32.5 KB · Views: 134
Fightingon, Yup thats me I interviewed with you on the 16th. I think you were the first person I talked to too. I'm hard to miss cause I talk so damn much. That day was great, one of the other interviewees actually gave me a ride to the airport that day. So nice. Great experience overall.

cool, well im glad you liked it so much! i loved undergrad there so im pretty sure med school will be at least as good. i wonder how many others they accepted from our interview group?

WOW! We only have 4 people in our class so far!:eek:

What up kids, you've got a new member! I interviewed in early December and have been sitting on this acceptance since early Jan, but I have tried to stay off this site as much as possible. Is everyone going to second-look day/weekend?

What up kids, you've got a new member! I interviewed in early December and have been sitting on this acceptance since early Jan, but I have tried to stay off this site as much as possible. Is everyone going to second-look day/weekend?

i havent received word of that yet...do you know when it is? did they send a letter to let you know?

Someone posted on another thread that second look was April 27th. I haven't decided if I'm going cause thats pretty expensive from NYC and a long flight, but it might be fun to meet some current students and get a better feel for where I want to live before July.

It's April 27. I think I got a snail mail too, but I definitely have an email about it from a couple of weeks ago. I have a friend who lives in Santa Monica, so if he's around, I'll probably go. I'd like to go either way, but I agree with you, Microgal, it's extra $$$ from NYC. By the way, Micro, I'm across the island from you if you aren't going to second-look and want to meet one of your new classmates sometime before August.

Do you guys know when our first day is?

I hope you're football fans (and apparently basketball fans too now!), because those games are a nice fringe benefit for us.

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm so stupid...I started this thread in the premed section. Nice to be moving onto the allopathic class forum. :laugh:

Anyways...we'll be rocking it at USC!!! :D

Last edited:
Dr. Berk,

Where did you do your postbac work? I was a postbac at Columbia (graduated from Wisconsin several years ago). We'll be poor at first, but we'll still have a better standard of living than just about any other med students (UCLA has a clear edge). I also think USC seems to have a much friendlier, laid-back (but still extremely talented) class than most med schools.

I graduated from Cal...didn't actually do a postbac program...just took extension classes at UCI.

I'm dealing with all this financial aid business now. Seeing $65,000 on these papers is a minor heart attack everytime. I'm sure we'll be ok...nothing a few hundred thousand dollars of debt can't fix...haha.

We'll definitely have a great class. I'm excited to finally get this thing started.

I wonder what this second visit weekend is gonna be like. Does anyone have information? Most of us seem clueless about it. Other schools are already sending out schedules.

Sign me up! I'm ready for the left-coast. : D

and for FOOTBALL!!!!!!!!!!

just got the letter after spring break!

Where the hell are our classmates? I'm sure we're one of the more laid-back schools, but there have to be more accepted students on this site.

Where the hell are our classmates? I'm sure we're one of the more laid-back schools, but there have to be more accepted students on this site.

laid-back people on SDN...haha. What a paradox. :laugh:

Looks like i'm headed for SC next year too, whats the total so far?

It's April 27. I think I got a snail mail too, but I definitely have an email about it from a couple of weeks ago. I have a friend who lives in Santa Monica, so if he's around, I'll probably go. I'd like to go either way, but I agree with you, Microgal, it's extra $$$ from NYC. By the way, Micro, I'm across the island from you if you aren't going to second-look and want to meet one of your new classmates sometime before August.

Do you guys know when our first day is?

I hope you're football fans (and apparently basketball fans too now!), because those games are a nice fringe benefit for us.

Hey Bucknasty, yeah I'd love to meet up. I'm actually supposed to meet up soon with a kid who interviewed same day as me from NYC. Want to join in? I'd be happy to meet new classmates! He and I were thinking the Union square dog park (we both have dogs) but I think we could hit a bar or do coffee or something just as easily.

I'm still undecided about where I'm going.... everyday I flip flop. Yesterday's flip flop was due to receiving my "financial aid package" which essentially said, "Congrats! Here's some loans! You just have to find another loan source to cover the $69K budget & you'll be set!!!" I just really struggle with the idea of accumulating $280K in debt (plus interest!!!) over the next four years.....

Are you guys getting better packages? How are you planning on financing this? Do you think it's worth the $$$?

I'd appreciate any thoughts you have & can share about USC, financing USC, etc. Thanks & congrats everyone!

Last edited:
Sweetiepie, I'm choosing to ignore the financial burden for now. I'll be learning my financial aid package in a couple of weeks, but I'm sure I'm just going to have to bite the bullet and wince. Sorry I can't give you more help on this at this point. Where else are you thinking about going?

I also got into UCI, so cost would be substantially less, immediate surroundings more "pleasant" (albeit, more suburban & the reason LA County is so awesome is because it's in an underserved area). USC, I believe, has better clinical training, but I'm having trouble justifying that that is worth over $100K more...

Sorry to bring money discussions to this thread - I just wondered how others were doing it - if everyone else got better deals, are getting more grants/scholarships, are just biting the bullet, etc. Also wondering what people thought of 'SC.... Thanks for your thoughts!

swtiepie, that is something of a tough decision you've got there. i do believe, as you say, that usc's clinical training is superior to that of uci just because of the resources at hand, and for me that is enough to convince me to come to usc. i know the cost is significantly higher but in the long run, but this is your career and the most important thing is going where you will be happy for the next four years. you also want to go somewhere where there are opportunities to get involved outside of the classroom, and usc is well known for great community involvement opportunities (partly because there IS a community to get involved with). thats what i loved about undergrad here, that there was a lot of difference we could make in the lives of our neighbors. but if thats not your thing, realize that usc is undergoing a lot of change right now and the hsc area is being revitalized...you might remember that a huge 'biomedical research park' is being built right behind usc univ hospital...that currently empty space is going to be filled with biotech companies and labs. this will open up a lot of academic/research opportunities in the near future that i think are worthwhile to pay attention to. also the trojan family connections really do go a long way, and not just in southern california. this strong sense of school community/spirit might seem lame or something, but it really works, especially in helping you get research opportunities and top residencies. personally i think it is a really exciting time to go to keck/usc because of all the development that is happening...oh did i mention the brand new all-computerized/digitized LA county?

I just interviewed at Keck this past week and *loved* it!!! I'm from socal originally and really want to stay in California rather than going back east. Anyway, I figure it'll be a few tormenting weeks before I hear from them. Does Keck offer any form of scholarship or just loans? I'm in at UCI but it seems the educational opportunities at Keck outnumber those at UCI, even if it costs an arm and a leg....

Hey everyone...you have a new member....I interviewed end of February and just got my acceptance yesterday (in MA). I'm really excited and will most likey heading over to LA :)

queserasera: Keck has need-based scholarships mostly. Everyone that qualifies (based on parental and personal income) is given a $5,000 scholarship, and a $10,000 interest-free loan. I'm not sure what else is offered, since that's all the aid I got - besides the massive amount of loans.

fightingon: I just wanted to reiterate what you said about the "trojan family", because I had no clue about that before I came here. The level of pride and school loyalty is really pretty crazy. Most of our profs went to USC for med school, and a lot of them went to USC undergrad as well. Everyone I've talked to seems like they're willing to bend over backwards to help USC students get wherever they want to go. If you want to stay in Southern Cal for residency or to practice, the network of USC grads around here is amazing, and seems to hold a ton of influence.

Anyways, didn't mean to crash your thread. Congrats to all of you.

Fight on. :horns:

Congrats to all of you. I'll say hi when I see you guys on the wards.

got some Evite lovin' from USC today. See you all April 27th!

I'll be wearing the "Bruins do it with Trojans" shirt :cool:

I thought it was hilarious to get an evite for second look :laugh:

I thought it was hilarious to get an evite for second look :laugh:

word. next I guess the Deans are all going to "friend" us on Myspace and send animated eGreetings on our birthdays :D

When are you guys moving to LA (those of you not form socal)? Does anyone know when orientations starts?

When are you guys moving to LA (those of you not form socal)? Does anyone know when orientations starts?

on your interview they gave you a packet, a curriculum timeline is in there and I think it shows when orientation is, if I'm not mistaken it happens before all the other classes :laugh:

just kidding I'm full of S, I'd put my money on ~August-ish tho :idea:

fake edit// I live in Pasadena, but I'm looking for an apartment on the westside (santa monica-ish) because I need to be close to the beach or my trick knee acts up.

double fake edit// oh and I'm finding a place asap so I can enjoy pre-med school debauchery near the beach.

on your interview they gave you a packet, a curriculum timeline is in there and I think it shows when orientation is, if I'm not mistaken it happens before all the other classes :laugh:

just kidding I'm full of S, I'd put my money on ~August-ish tho :idea:

fake edit// I live in Pasadena, but I'm looking for an apartment on the westside (santa monica-ish) because I need to be close to the beach or my trick knee acts up.

double fake edit// oh and I'm finding a place asap so I can enjoy pre-med school debauchery near the beach.

Well well you're just full of it today aren't ya Mr. Syphilis

<-accepted last week!

are you guys goin to the accepted students reception?

<-accepted last week!

are you guys goin to the accepted students reception?
I think I am. Hey do I know you? I am UCLA psych '07 too! What are the odds?:eek:

We should get some carpooling going for the reception (2nd look)! It would be fun to arrive in mass Busloads and scare the other students!!:laugh:

I'm gonna drive there....I'm not sure yet if I'm gonna leave from westwood or my parents house (their place is closer to keck campus). ucla psych is awesome though

Whoa whoa whoa....I go away for the weekend and look what happens to our thread. I found it down below the "help needed" thread. Come on now folks. Lets talk Keck again. I decided against shelling out the bucks for revisit weekend, but I'll see u all soon enough. Anyone excited for August in Cali?

Whoa whoa whoa....I go away for the weekend and look what happens to our thread. I found it down below the "help needed" thread. Come on now folks. Lets talk Keck again. I decided against shelling out the bucks for revisit weekend, but I'll see u all soon enough. Anyone excited for August in Cali?
Yeah ill be at the beach!

yeah I'll be...well....here. where I always am. but I am excited about you all being in California in August. keck peoples > *

Does anyone know where most Keck students live and how long the commute is everyday?

south pasadena, alhambra, and montery park are all with 10 minutes drive (surface streets) of keck (they're to the north) but a lot of people live in west LA/culver city/santa monica-ish and the commute is more like 30-40 freeway (against traffic in the mornings)

yeah I'll be...well....here. where I always am. but I am excited about you all being in California in August. keck peoples > *

Well Penny I never would have taken you for the sentimental type.... we're excited to be there too!

Well Penny I never would have taken you for the sentimental type.... we're excited to be there too!

I love everyone who is NOT a Florida Gator :( :(

Hello everyone..I received the GREAT news from KECK on Saturday afternoon..Its good to be apart of this thread...Hope all is well!

Hello everyone..I received the GREAT news from KECK on Saturday afternoon..Its good to be apart of this thread...Hope all is well!

welcome! I consulted my crystal ball and it confirmed good times ahead for all those who choose Keck.