*USC Keck School of Medicine Class of 2011*

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Are we supposed to be sending them transcripts or anything? I think most schools require final official transcripts to be sent directly to them, right?

btw...that weekend is creeping up pretty fast. :D

Members don't see this ad.

I graduated from Cal...didn't actually do a postbac program...just took extension classes at UCI.

I'm dealing with all this financial aid business now. Seeing $65,000 on these papers is a minor heart attack everytime. I'm sure we'll be ok...nothing a few hundred thousand dollars of debt can't fix...haha.

We'll definitely have a great class. I'm excited to finally get this thing started.

I wonder what this second visit weekend is gonna be like. Does anyone have information? Most of us seem clueless about it. Other schools are already sending out schedules.

how'd you come up with 65K?
Tuition is like 40....other expenses (living and such) are about 25K/year?
(call me ig'nint)

how'd you come up with 65K?
Tuition is like 40....other expenses (living and such) are about 25K/year?
(call me ig'nint)

Tuition is ~$40,000. Books, fees, etc brings it to $46,000. The budget they have for next year (which is everything - tuition, books, fees, health insurance, room, board, etc) is just over $69,000. This is now online (should be) in My Financial Aid of the Financial Aid website. Also, I got a snail mail version. And, yes, that number is crushing....

Members don't see this ad :)
So given the cost, would it be dumb to blow all my savings (which isn't much) on a Europe trip this summer? :confused:

So given the cost, would it be dumb to blow all my savings (which isn't much) on a Europe trip this summer? :confused:
No. Not really. I have about 15k and I plan on buying a new car, since I will be using it everyday. Especially since that will make no real difference in the 240k debt that we will be in. Just blow it!:thumbup:

Are we supposed to be sending them transcripts or anything? I think most schools require final official transcripts to be sent directly to them, right?

btw...that weekend is creeping up pretty fast. :D

im wondering this too...do any current students know when they ask for this? im in a masters program and i won't have any complete transcript until early August probably. does anyone know how they define 'satisfactory academic progress' and how strictly they look at it. ever since i got in, ive been slacking majorly and i'm a little scared :(

hi future my classmates!

i am pretty much settled on turning down ucsd for a seat at keck (i know a few people who have done this and said they never once regretted it) so i guess it is time for me to join the thread... ill be there on the 27th (driving up from sd, i would do anything to take a sick day from work) :D

interestingly enough, and by complete chance, 2 guys i went to high school with (out of a class of 50 people total) are also going to be ms1's next year, so we will all see you there!

-mike

hi future my classmates!

i am pretty much settled on turning down ucsd for a seat at keck (i know a few people who have done this and said they never once regretted it) so i guess it is time for me to join the thread... ill be there on the 27th (driving up from sd, i would do anything to take a sick day from work) :D

interestingly enough, and by complete chance, 2 guys i went to high school with (out of a class of 50 people total) are also going to be ms1's next year, so we will all see you there!

-mike

All of you must have graduated from the same exclusive private high school. Correct? Parents are docs?

All of you must have graduated from the same exclusive private high school. Correct? Parents are docs?

seriously, I was a little worried when Keck did a credit check on me during the interview, but then I remembered I'm rich and white so it's all good. Oh also during the interview I told them I was a republican and I wore my baby seal fur coat and conflict diamond ring, just in case, you know.

Hey...I just found this thread, and I'm looking forward to starting Keck with everyone in the fall.

I know it was discussed a bit earlier, but does anyone know if we will get any housing information or suggestions from Keck? Just wondering what everyone else is considering/doing for housing (in regards to location)...

Hey...I just found this thread, and I'm looking forward to starting Keck with everyone in the fall.

I know it was discussed a bit earlier, but does anyone know if we will get any housing information or suggestions from Keck? Just wondering what everyone else is considering/doing for housing (in regards to location)...

South Pasadena for me.

Members don't see this ad :)
Me too. Anyone have an idea what rent is like in S Pas? I"m looking for a one bedroom.

Me too. Anyone have an idea what rent is like in S Pas? I"m looking for a one bedroom.

I think you can get a good 2 bdrm apt for $1300. I'm looking for $1200 *fingers crossed. Not sure about one bedrooms.

I can't remember exactly when they send this out, but each year students put together the Salerni Student Survival Guide, and students who have lived in various areas of LA write reviews on their area, including pros and cons, average prices, how long it takes to get to school, etc. I think we might have gotten it in late May or so. The school sends out housing ads, too, and anyone can put an ad in. I think the first one is sent in early May, and should have ads by students looking for roommates, students looking for apartments, and people who own apartments/houses that are looking for renters. Putting an ad in there or contacting classmates who've posted ads are good ways to find roommates.

well it was private high school, but you have the rest wrong... one friend has a cardiac surgeon for a dad, so you nailed 1/3, but i have a carpenter and secretary for parents (my grandparents paid for high school b/c my parents couldnt), and the other guy's parents are immigrant small business owners...
(over 1/2 the ppl in my school were on scholarship)

but hey batting .333 in the MLB aint bad :D - see you guys later this month!

hahah...actually my faculty interviewer seemed quite liberal.

seriously, I was a little worried when Keck did a credit check on me during the interview, but then I remembered I'm rich and white so it's all good. Oh also during the interview I told them I was a republican and I wore my baby seal fur coat and conflict diamond ring, just in case, you know.

hahah...actually my faculty interviewer seemed quite liberal.

yeah it was a joke. :cool:

the fact that Keck HSC is six miles to the right of USC undergrad is irony at it's best.

edit// and also depends on how you hold your map :D

I think some other good areas to look into are Echo Park and Silverlake if you're thinking about staying near the eastside and as close as you can to campus. These areas are pretty young and fun. South Pas and Alhambra is more suburb-like. Also, a good option is Mid-City/Mid-wilshire and near Farmer's Market. It's about a 15-20min drive to Keck (always against traffic) and you'll be closer to lots of restaurants/shops.

Why is second look on a Friday? I figure most people are either still in school or working. It would just make sense to have it on a weekend. The only school I've heard of so far to have second look on a weekday.

Why is second look on a Friday? I figure most people are either still in school or working. It would just make sense to have it on a weekend. The only school I've heard of so far to have second look on a weekday.

my guess is because of the faculty shadowing they're setting up, they want faculty to actually be there :cool:

Good Job Dr. Berk..i was searching for the group earlier and found nothing..Im glad you took the initiative to get it going..I definitely joined the group..good to finally SEE FACES....:thumbup:

I joined the facebook group and now my anonymity is no more. I think it's pretty obvious who I am since I seem to be the ONLY girl going to Keck next year. Ah well more fun for me!

Has anyone decided on a lender for their loans? I am not sure which is the best deal.

Also who is scared about taking about 70k a year in loans?:scared:

Has anyone decided on a lender for their loans? I am not sure which is the best deal.

Also who is scared about taking about 70k a year in loans?:scared:

I haven't decided and would also appreciate input if someone has done the research for us. What are we supposed to be considering?

70k a year which will be accumulating interest through the 4yrs and through residency...YAH! very scared. I'm even questioning the feasibility of paying that off. It is kinda skewing my specialty preferences into the money-making specialties and money had never been a consideration for me until now.

going with sallie mae (nellie mae) because that's who I used for undergrad loans. Plus they've been really visible and vocal about their policies since the whole scandal dealy in the north east, so they're definitely going to behave themselves.

edit// for Stafford loans look for fixed rate, no origination fee and no other fees (basically you get the full loan amount, they don't keep anything). If you need a GradPLUS loan, borrow from the same lender you're getting your stafford loans from, so you can consolidate later with ease, you'll probably have to pay something like 3% as an "origination fee" basically you get your loan amount less 3% which the lender keeps because that's how they make money.

I joined the facebook group and now my anonymity is no more. I think it's pretty obvious who I am since I seem to be the ONLY girl going to Keck next year. Ah well more fun for me!

not too hard on the eyes, neither ;) :D

going with sallie mae (nellie mae) because that's who I used for undergrad loans. Plus they've been really visible and vocal about their policies since the whole scandal dealy in the north east, so they're definitely going to behave themselves.

I didn't realize how many options there were. Wow :eek: so lost :confused:

Hey everyone!

I'm finally joining this group! I can't wait to meet all of you!

Anyway, I'm sure some of you are also having problems logging into the financial aid webpage to access your accounts....so for those people...did you already start applying for loans anyway or are you putting that off until you see your financial aid package?

thanks!

Hey everyone!

I'm finally joining this group! I can't wait to meet all of you!

Anyway, I'm sure some of you are also having problems logging into the financial aid webpage to access your accounts....so for those people...did you already start applying for loans anyway or are you putting that off until you see your financial aid package?

thanks!

My financial aid package is already out...it didn't take too long for it to come out either. Couple weeks after FAFSA.

I'm actually going to meet up with their financial aid counselors tomorrow. I'll let you guys know if I find out anything important.

My financial aid package is already out...it didn't take too long for it to come out either. Couple weeks after FAFSA.

I'm actually going to meet up with their financial aid counselors tomorrow. I'll let you guys know if I find out anything important.

I sent them a summary of my package ;)

Como estan todos???? I'm Mexican but that right there is the extent of my Spanish capabilities. In any case, I wanted to congratulate everyone on choosing Keck as their med school of choice and I'm looking forward to meeting everyone. I had a quick question for anyone who might know: I was under the impression that we would be sent some type of Letter of Intent to Register stating we would be definitely attending USC in the Fall. I haven't seen anything like that and so I wanted to see if any of you might know what was going on. Thanx again guys. Take it easy. :D

Como estan todos???? I'm Mexican but that right there is the extent of my Spanish capabilities. In any case, I wanted to congratulate everyone on choosing Keck as their med school of choice and I'm looking forward to meeting everyone. I had a quick question for anyone who might know: I was under the impression that we would be sent some type of Letter of Intent to Register stating we would be definitely attending USC in the Fall. I haven't seen anything like that and so I wanted to see if any of you might know what was going on. Thanx again guys. And sorry if I posted this wrong. Not too familiar with forum posting. Take it easy. :D

what's up man. I'm not sure when the "SIR" comes into play, but I'd assume it won't be mandatory until around may 15th.

you coming to the reception on Friday?

Thanks for the info Penny. Yeah, it's looking like I won't be making it to the orientation. My job has been short staffed so time off is a rare commodity. Looking forward to definitely meeting up with everyone though.

Tomorrow is the big day guys. Make me proud!! Wish I could be there. :(

I'd love to go to Keck and stay in L.A. but the price is out of control. Is $ not an issue for you or the other people you know who dumped UCSD. Looks I am ending up at UCSD because it save me close to 190K in debt vs. Keck. What am I missing here??? Why choose Keck over UC tuition and generous grants.

I'd love to go to Keck and stay in L.A. but the price is out of control. Is $ not an issue for you or the other people you know who dumped UCSD. Looks I am ending up at UCSD because it save me close to 190K in debt vs. Keck. What am I missing here??? Why choose Keck over UC tuition and generous grants.

it's going to cost you less than $25k a year to go to UCSD? That's ridiculous. If you'll be happy there go for it. although, the math makes that seem like pretty close to a full ride at UCSD, maybe double check your numbers.

it'll cost almost 20k a year just to live anywhere in southern california. so that's 80k for four years. That means medical school is only going to cost you, like $20k for four years? Doesn't make a whole lot of sense, but if it's true good work :thumbup:

But it is UCSD, and it's icky. :p

so...what went down at second look...anything interesting?

Yeah, money is a definite issue but I think one huge plus for USC is having the chance to get a lot of clinical experience at County hospital. And it can only get better as soon as the new hospital is built. That's in my opinion of course.

I really don't want our class thread to turn into an argument defending the cost of the school. There have been enough threads like that like. Maybe you should ask this somewhere else, most of us are on this thread cause we're going there and want to get to know each other and prepare for school this August.

so...what went down at second look...anything interesting?

They started us out with continental breakfast - followed by talks on the school and curriculum. It was in the lecture hall we would spend a lot of time in as first years (which by the way is awesome, long tables and power outlets. my days of searching for a place to plug in my laptop are over!) The talks were helpful - I realized how enthusiastic faculty is about the institution, and how the curriculum is geared not only to prepare you for the boards, etc, but make you a well rounded physician. From the 2nd week our first year we practice taking patient history and by the end of our second year we are able to do history and physical exam.

We then broke into groups by the speciality we were interested in. I was in the surgery group, and we saw the training facility where residents and students practice their laparoscopic skills. *** oops EDIT: We even got to practice these skills ourselves! We operated the camera and the probes to move small rubber cylinders over pins.

Lunch was outside over the volleyball court. Good chance to talk to other students, meet some of the 1st years, and soak in the sun. (Must have been 80 degrees/Clear Skies --- too bad all of us were in pants and long sleeves!)

After lunch they took us back into the lecture hall for a student panel. At first I thought there were only going to be 4 students, but 4 more trickled in so we were able to hear from 2 members from each class. I think this part was the most helpful because the students were very honest and covered a wide range of topics- studying for boards, stories from their clerkships, webcast lectures, etc.

We missed those of you who couldn't make it - hope that helps! Maybe someone else can help fill in what i left out!