USC Keck vs. Arizona (Tucson)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

han3

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi! Looking for some advice in choosing between USC Keck and Arizona (Tucson). My pros and cons below:

USC:

Pros:
  • Higher ranked (though I know I shouldn't trust in uswnr much)
  • Better fit based on interview day
  • Great research opportunities and clinical experiences
  • LA is a big city with lots to do
  • Close to a support system: grandparents, aunt, best friend all live ~30 mins away (or longer with traffic)
  • Major airport: potential long distance relationship so that would make things easier

Cons:
  • ~25K more expensive for tuition
  • Higher cost of living
  • Safety of area surrounding campus? Not really sure if this is a concern or not

Arizona (Tucson):

Pros:
  • ~25K cheaper tuition
  • Lower cost of living
  • Close to a support system: parents live in Phoenix 2hr away- though there is a possibility one or both will be moving out of state for work

Cons:
  • Lower ranked school
  • Less impressive clinical facilities in general
  • Didn't feel a good fit at my interview day
  • Tucson: it's a big city but definitely not as much to do as in LA
  • Far away (2hr) from major airport in Phoenix

Overall, I would definitely prefer USC if it wasn't for the cost. Is USC worth the extra 100K (before interest) over 4 years? Any input would be appreciated!!

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Yea, I would say go to Keck. It's stronger academically, and I feel like you would be a lot happier there (better facilities, better fit, more fun city, support network,e etc.). To me, that is worth the extra $100k. Your mileage may vary

Hey! I'm making the exact same decision between AZ-Tucson, AZ-Phoenix and Keck

I really loved Keck based on the opportunities and impressive education that students received. I felt that LAC+USC probably had the best clinical training of any school I visited. The patients you see will probably be more diverse in LA compared to Tucson.

I know that the AZ schools have had a lot of administrative issues recently with reorganization and faculty leaving after the Banner acquisition. I had bad impressions in my Tucson interview on how the corporate/academic blend of medicine was effecting the education. Tucson is also lower ranked, has lower board averages and a "weaker" match list in general. Tucson also has internal rankings (compared to True Pass/Fail at Keck)

Ultimately though, I think this also depends a lot on what you want to do. If you're interested in a less competitive specialty, I would go to Tucson (you'll still receive a great education). If you're interested in something more competitive, I would go to Keck.

Members don't see this ad :)
I would say USC as well. Mainly because you like it better and better fit, plus you're closer to family support if you need it. Tucson is definitely a great city (Went to UA for undergrad) and has a lot that you can do - mainly hiking and exploring mountains. The biggest thing I've always thought is your happiness. That's why we earn money, that's why we do the things we do. So if you truly believe you'll be happier in LA than Tucson, go with that. (it also opens up a spot for me for Tucson... :p)

Just know that whichever you'll pick and whatever specialty you choose, you'll be able to pay off the debt. So why not be happier with your choice? (Then again, this is my thought process about it)

Hey! I'm making the exact same decision between AZ-Tucson, AZ-Phoenix and Keck

I really loved Keck based on the opportunities and impressive education that students received. I felt that LAC+USC probably had the best clinical training of any school I visited. The patients you see will probably be more diverse in LA compared to Tucson.

I know that the AZ schools have had a lot of administrative issues recently with reorganization and faculty leaving after the Banner acquisition. I had bad impressions in my Tucson interview on how the corporate/academic blend of medicine was effecting the education. Tucson is also lower ranked, has lower board averages and a "weaker" match list in general. Tucson also has internal rankings (compared to True Pass/Fail at Keck)

Ultimately though, I think this also depends a lot on what you want to do. If you're interested in a less competitive specialty, I would go to Tucson (you'll still receive a great education). If you're interested in something more competitive, I would go to Keck.

I completely agree with everything you said. However, I think Keck also has internal rankings for AOA purposes. I know probably twenty people who go there who say so.

I completely agree with everything you said. However, I think Keck also has internal rankings for AOA purposes. I know probably twenty people who go there who say so.
This is interesting. So they don't have a true pass/fail preclinical? Or do they rank for years three and four?

This is interesting. So they don't have a true pass/fail preclinical? Or do they rank for years three and four?

For year 1 and 2 it is Pass/Fail but I think the percentage you get on your exams still matter and will rank you (so does that make it not true P/F??).

For year 1 and 2 it is Pass/Fail but I think the percentage you get on your exams still matter and will rank you (so does that make it not true P/F??).
If they rank you based on your scores then it is not true pass fail

If they rank you based on your scores then it is not true pass fail

There is pretty much no such thing as a completely "non-ranked" school. Your class rank needs to be calculated and, if your school has AOA, only the top 25% can be eligible to apply. Schools must have SOME metric for ranking students. Class rank really doesn't affect your day-to-day life, despite what premeds think.

I'd pick USC. It's a much better school by basically any metric, has a solid national reputation, and a more appealing location.

This is strange because, if I remember correctly, Keck was the only school that I interviewed with that made it a point that they do NOT have internal ranking. That they have a "true" pass-fail system with no deception. I assumed that the AOA would be found using the clerkship grades but I could be totally wrong about that last part.

But USC is the obvious choice in my opinion. I would wait to get finnancial aid packages from both schools and make an informed decision; only if you can get this by the end of April of course. But it may turn out that the price difference is more or less than just the tuition difference based on need-based aid and cost of living.

Do you know that Keck ranked among the top 15 schools in the US with hottest girls? - I have recently read an article, and I can't resist sharing this.

Source: https://colleges.niche.com/rankings/hottest-girls/

Pretty sure undergrad (aka colleges) does not include med school...

This is strange because, if I remember correctly, Keck was the only school that I interviewed with that made it a point that they do NOT have internal ranking. That they have a "true" pass-fail system with no deception. I assumed that the AOA would be found using the clerkship grades but I could be totally wrong about that last part.

But USC is the obvious choice in my opinion. I would wait to get finnancial aid packages from both schools and make an informed decision; only if you can get this by the end of April of course. But it may turn out that the price difference is more or less than just the tuition difference based on need-based aid and cost of living.

There is no internal ranking for anything EXCEPT for AOA that includes all years.

Pretty sure undergrad (aka colleges) does not include med school...

There is no internal ranking for anything EXCEPT for AOA that includes all years.
I know that some pass/fail schools designate AOA strictly on clerkship grades, so unless you were specifically told or read that it includes all years, I remain skeptical because AOA does NOT = preclinical internal ranking.