USC Keck vs Northwestern

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

pianoguy123

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am incredibly grateful for both opportunities. However, I am having trouble deciding between a "top 30" vs "top 20." Is there really a difference? Am I insane not to pick one? They are both around the same price.

USC
Pros:
- from SoCal, and it has a great reputation in California
- can be near family
- would like to practice in SoCal, and it has a high match rate in California
- amazing clinical experience (LAC-USC hospital)
- student body seems cool

Cons:
- less "prestigious"

Northwestern
Pros:
- more "prestigious"
- more recognizable "brand name" nationwide, and might be interested in academic medicine
- great research, match rates, clinical sites . . . great everything

Cons:
- far from family

Members don't see this ad.

They are both good schools that will afford you excellent matching opportunities if you do well. Given that cost is the similar, I would go where you feel the fit is the best.

Reactions: 2 users
If you're looking to match into California, I'd go to USC. Not that you can't do so from NW, you just get home advantage

Reactions: 3 users
Members don't see this ad :)
As someone from SoCal - yeah, those winters..... But, Chicago is pretty awesome. I can't disagree with the above opinions regarding USC being the better bet for matching back to Cali. I'm not trying, so it's not a big deal to me. I don't know the success rate for those who have tried, but I do know it happens and I think I remember Stanford, USC, and the various UCLA sites having been the top matches over the past few years (I don't have the lists in front of me, but they're on the Feinberg website).

Reactions: 1 user
I'd wait to see how financial aid plays out - you can match back in Cali from either school. Both schools are prestigious but I'd lean towards USC if you have a support network nearby :)

Reactions: 1 users