USC (Keck) vs Tufts

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Where Should I Go To School?

• USC

Votes: 92 68.1%
  • Tufts

Votes: 43 31.9%

• Total voters

RocDiva4040

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
UPDATE: USC doesn't offer any need based aid, so I would need to take out 80k+ in loans/ year whereas Tufts offered me a 3/4 scholarship (but I would still need 40k in loans). So USC is double the price of Tufts. I am leaning heavily towards Tufts now. Does anyone still think USC might be worth it?

It seems like this is the choice I'm going to have to make (possible WL movement aside), and it's driving me crazy because they're both so different.

About me: I really care about treating the underserved, mental health, might possibly want an MPH, love cities, diversity is really important to me in my patients, classmates, city population etc. I guess I'm more of a community service oriented person, but I do think I want to pursue clinical research in med school.

USC

Pros:
-Sunshine!
-prestige (higher ranked)
-excellent hospital LAC+Keck (diverse patient population and lots of responsibility)
-I can tell they really care about the students-lots of perks (unlimited free printing, your own study cubicle, free tailgates, alumni connections)
-Diverse city and student body
-Minority Services Research Group (for mental health care disparities-my main interest)
-Great step 1 scores
-A new start/something different
-Got a good vibe from the students/atmosphere of the campus

Cons:
-So far away
-different time zone from my family and friends
-Crazy traffic
-Would have to get a car
-match list is so biased towards the west coast and I'm not sure I would want to do residency there
-thesis requirement

Tufts

Pros:
-Boston is familiar
- no car needed
-Support system! (have some non med school friends there and my family is 1.5 hours away)
-excellent match list
-great global health program
-no thesis requirement
-Boston is probably the best city to study medicine with Harvard and BU around
-could do all of my rotations at a hospital in the town where my family is and save money since it's cheaper to live there than Boston

Cons:
-Cold! (this actually really depresses me. I love to walk and can't do that in the winter)
-city and class not diverse enough
-same old same old (I kind of want a change of scenery)
-I think they might have too much PBL
-In Chinatown
-I didn't vibe with the students as much as I did at USC

Also financial aid really matters to me, but idk which school is more likely to give better financial aid. No scholarship offers (yet).

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
I can't speak to the schools themselves, but my thoughts:

1. The traffic in LA can be bad, but the commute times in Boston are still really terrible (I've lived in/near both). The T sucks. At least in LA, when it takes you a long time to get somewhere, you actually travelled somewhere. My 4 mile commute in Boston takes me 45 minutes to an hour one way.

2. I don't understand why having Harvard/BU around enhances your experience at Tufts.

3. I obviously can't speak for you, but living at home with parents as a mid-20s med student sounds horrendous.

USC hands down. Not even close

Reactions: 3 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Just for the record, the west coast heavy match list is likely due to preference of the applicants... Not a shortcoming of the school. Most people who go to school on the west coast want to stay there, which may indicate that most people are actually getting their top choice for residency.

If you went to Keck I doubt you would have any issue getting to the east coast for residency.

Reactions: 4 users
I can't speak to the schools themselves, but my thoughts:

1. The traffic in LA can be bad, but the commute times in Boston are still really terrible (I've lived in/near both). The T sucks. At least in LA, when it takes you a long time to get somewhere, you actually travelled somewhere. My 4 mile commute in Boston takes me 45 minutes to an hour one way.

2. I don't understand why having Harvard/BU around enhances your experience at Tufts.

3. I obviously can't speak for you, but living at home with parents as a mid-20s med student sounds horrendous.

1. Dang I don't remember the T being that bad, but it can be really packed at certain times of the day.
2. I was thinking connections since a lot of Tufts students seem to match at Harvard affiliated hospitals.
3. Yea it would be terrible lol. I wouldn't live at home just in the area, which could be a positive or negative. It depends on what day it is lol

Thanks for responding!

Just for the record, the west coast heavy match list is likely due to preference of the applicants... Not a shortcoming of the school. Most people who go to school on the west coast want to stay there, which may indicate that most people are actually getting their top choice for residency.

If you went to Keck I doubt you would have any issue getting to the east coast for residency.

Good point, and I'm not sure that I would want to go back to the east coast for residency. I may just really fall in love with the west coast.

Tufts has the highest tuition out of all medical schools (I think it's $60k tuition+fees) and isn't that prestigious for what it's charging. Also, the main problem is that Boston is already overflooded with medical schools and tufts is likely to be overshadowed by Harvard and BU. According the the new rankings, Harvard's research funding was over 10x that of Tufts and BU's was about 2x that of Tufts. If you go to USC, you are sharing the patient load with UCLA but the difference between UCLA and USC is far less than the difference between Harvard/BU and Tufts. Plus, the weather in Southern Cali is just godly.

Reactions: 1 users
If I was in your situation I would pick USC, especially if you went to UG in Boston. I'm currently going to medical school in the same city I went to UG (northeastern city) and now, near the end of my first year, I really wish I could've had the option to go to school somewhere in the south or west coast. I also interviewed at Tufts last year and I didn't like it, no offense to current Tufts students but they really seemed stuffy and smug, and I just didn't like the vibe I got there. As for the west coast bias, 99% chance that's self-selection... USC is extremely reputable, and won't hold you back matching anywhere except a select few tip top programs when residency time comes.

At the same time, I know firsthand that leaving the proximity of family is extremely difficult. Tough choice :-/

1. Dang I don't remember the T being that bad, but it can be really packed at certain times of the day.
2. I was thinking connections since a lot of Tufts students seem to match at Harvard affiliated hospitals.
3. Yea it would be terrible lol. I wouldn't live at home just in the area, which could be a positive or negative. It depends on what day it is lol

Thanks for responding!

I'm just going to say that your opinion of the T and the virtues of the location in terms of commute are going to vary wildly depending on your personality. I know a lot of people who hate the T, hate public transport, and would rather be in their car for an hour. Others are the complete opposite (I'm one of them). I'll take my current 1+ hr public transit commute (buses and trains) where I can read and also stand over driving every day of the week. I hate sitting in a car. So in terms of factoring in that part of the decision, it's really about your personal preference on the commuting horrors of Boston vs. southern CA. Tufts in particular is super conveniently located in terms of public transit. It's not like you'd be stuck with the green line.

I would choose USC but you can succeed at either school. Both are great schools but I just feel like USC's reputation is a lot more well known and USC would be cheaper than Tufts. Definitely wait for financial aid packages though.

Sounds like the decision comes down to whether you want to try something new (USC and the west coast) or stay with what you know (Tufts and Boston). I don't know what you should do but I can say I am struggling with the same decision and it is so hard! Certainly a support network is important in medical school but it's also exciting to think you could branch out and find a new city that you really like. Best of luck with your decision.

Sounds like the decision comes down to whether you want to try something new (USC and the west coast) or stay with what you know (Tufts and Boston). I don't know what you should do but I can say I am struggling with the same decision and it is so hard! Certainly a support network is important in medical school but it's also exciting to think you could branch out and find a new city that you really like. Best of luck with your decision.

Yep this is exactly the situation in a nutshell! Good luck with your decision too.

Members don't see this ad :)
Go to Tufts, I'm totally being objective and honest and not trying to get you to go somewhere else or anything...:shifty:

All joking aside, USC all the way. The clinical training that you could get at LA County hospital far exceeds that of Tufts I think. Not to mention that the weather is absolutely fantastic, which leads to feeling better which then leads to performing better. The students are so happy here and the faculty is amazing. I think a change of scenery can do you some good and you may end up wanting to stay here for residency after all. If not, the training you get here should be more than enough for you to be able to get the chance to go back to the east coast for residency. Also, its gonna be cheaper than Tufts, and saving every little bit counts especially since it seems like you're interested in a primary care field. Good luck with your decision.

Go to Tufts

Reactions: 2 users
I'm just going to say that your opinion of the T and the virtues of the location in terms of commute are going to vary wildly depending on your personality. I know a lot of people who hate the T, hate public transport, and would rather be in their car for an hour. Others are the complete opposite (I'm one of them). I'll take my current 1+ hr public transit commute (buses and trains) where I can read and also stand over driving every day of the week. I hate sitting in a car. So in terms of factoring in that part of the decision, it's really about your personal preference on the commuting horrors of Boston vs. southern CA. Tufts in particular is super conveniently located in terms of public transit. It's not like you'd be stuck with the green line.

Yep I'm definitely more like you. I prefer cities like Boston and NY where I can just use public transportation. And although I have a license I haven't driven much since high school so I'm also kind of nervous about that.

If I was in your situation I would pick USC, especially if you went to UG in Boston. I'm currently going to medical school in the same city I went to UG (northeastern city) and now, near the end of my first year, I really wish I could've had the option to go to school somewhere in the south or west coast. I also interviewed at Tufts last year and I didn't like it, no offense to current Tufts students but they really seemed stuffy and smug, and I just didn't like the vibe I got there. As for the west coast bias, 99% chance that's self-selection... USC is extremely reputable, and won't hold you back matching anywhere except a select few tip top programs when residency time comes.

At the same time, I know firsthand that leaving the proximity of family is extremely difficult. Tough choice :-/

I'm sorry about that. Yep that's what I'm afraid of. It just seems like the type of thing I'll regret later on in life.

Can u elaborate on this? Do u mean if I were to pursue a competitive specialty like ortho or derm?

I'm facing a similar situation except it's between North (BU) and South (Wake forest). I am going to wait to hear back from financial aid first and I think you should too. A lot of schools have institutional loans and those are game changers in my opinion. If the financial stuff remains the same, then just go with your gut feeling. Nobody on here can tell you what's best for you except for yourself. Good luck with your decision!

Go to Tufts, I'm totally being objective and honest and not trying to get you to go somewhere else or anything...:shifty:

All joking aside, USC all the way. The clinical training that you could get at LA County hospital far exceeds that of Tufts I think. Not to mention that the weather is absolutely fantastic, which leads to feeling better which then leads to performing better. The students are so happy here and the faculty is amazing. I think a change of scenery can do you some good and you may end up wanting to stay here for residency after all. If not, the training you get here should be more than enough for you to be able to get the chance to go back to the east coast for residency. Also, its gonna be cheaper than Tufts, and saving every little bit counts especially since it seems like you're interested in a primary care field. Good luck with your decision.

Go to Tufts

Thanks for your totally unbiased opinion :laugh:

And good luck with USC *fingers crossed*

I'm facing a similar situation except it's between North (BU) and South (Wake forest). I am going to wait to hear back from financial aid first and I think you should too. A lot of schools have institutional loans and those are game changers in my opinion. If the financial stuff remains the same, then just go with your gut feeling. Nobody on here can tell you what's best for you except for yourself. Good luck with your decision!

Good point especially since I heard Tufts offers 3/4 need based aid. Yea that would be a total game changer. Good luck to you too!

It seems like this is the choice I'm going to have to make (possible WL movement aside), and it's driving me crazy because they're both so different.

About me: I really care about treating the underserved, mental health, might possibly want an MPH, love cities, diversity is really important to me in my patients, classmates, city population etc. I guess I'm more of a community service oriented person, but I do think I want to pursue clinical research in med school.

USC

Pros:
-Sunshine!
-excellent hospital LAC+Keck (diverse patient population and lots of responsibility)
-I can tell they really care about the students-lots of perks (unlimited free printing, your own study cubicle, free tailgates, alumni connections)
-Minority Services Research Group (for mental health care disparities-my main interest)
-Great step 1 scores

Cons:
-So far away
-Crazy traffic
-Would have to get a car
-match list is so biased towards the west coast and I'm not sure I would want to do residency there
-thesis requirement

Tufts

Pros:
-Boston is familiar
- no car needed
-Support system! (have some non med school friends there and my family is 1.5 hours away)
-excellent match list
-no thesis requirement
-could do all of my rotations at a hospital in the town where my family is and save money since it's cheaper to live there than Boston

Cons:
-Cold! (this actually really depresses me. I love to walk and can't do that in the winter)
-In Chinatown

Also financial aid really matters to me, but idk which school is more likely to give better financial aid. No scholarship offers (yet).

Having Harvard and BU around might actually be a con. The proximity to other research opportunities is good. I have lived in the Boston area for 5 years (college and gap year job), and currently work at one of the Harvard teaching hospitals and used to work at a different one. They seem to be pretty okay with taking students from the other area schools. I will tell you this: Harvard and BU are both research powerhouses and both serve very specific niches in the Boston area. BU is the safety net hospital and Harvard is the super specialized academic center that serves all socioeconomic levels. I have heard Tufts students and residents complain about finding a niche in an area that is already so dominated by BMC and Harvard/Partners (BWH and MGH)/Children's/Beth Israel. Don't get me wrong, I have heard a lot of good things about Tufts as well. Just make sure you do your research first.

Reactions: 3 users
Yep I'm definitely more like you. I prefer cities like Boston and NY where I can just use public transportation. And although I have a license I haven't driven much since high school so I'm also kind of nervous about that.
I was in LA for UG, and from experience I can say that taking public transit, at least to and from the campus, is doable. It's not like NY or SF or Boston where the public transit system is fantastic, but they've definitely expanded it in LA. The metro system works well, and if you can take that to union station there's a free USC shuttle that goes to both campuses. To get out of the city though you would ned to carpool or drive.

USC. I am basing my decision mainly on weather patterns. Do you really want to be in Boston, when you could be in LA instead?

Congratulations on your acceptances.

Now it's time to once again step outside of your comfort zone and experience something unfamiliar. It only adds to your life story, and that's pretty important.

Reactions: 4 users

USC

Pros:
-Sunshine!
-Great step 1 scores

Cons:
-So far away
-Crazy traffic
-Would have to get a car
-thesis requirement

Tufts

Pros:
-Boston is familiar
- no car needed
-excellent match list
-no thesis requirement

Cons:
-In Chinatown

Not like you need any convincing but USC-Keck for it's excellent curriculum tailored to USMLE Step 1, strict P/F in the first 2 years, and weather which you'll appreciate when you have to travel on rotations, as well as friendly student body (in comparison to Tufts, as you mentioned). I don't think the comparison is even close. You're very lucky to be able to pick between the two, but no question - USC Keck.

I'm sorry about that. Yep that's what I'm afraid of. It just seems like the type of thing I'll regret later on in life.

Can u elaborate on this? Do u mean if I were to pursue a competitive specialty like ortho or derm?

USC has an excellent Derm program. By the time you get to 4th year, if you are going into a competitive specialty, you'll be just so happy to match period. USC-Keck won't keep you out of tip top programs at places, by any means.

Generally, I would go with my gut. Personally, I would choose USC, but I also intend to live on the west coast. I could see how going to Tufts would be justified if you plan on doing a residency on the east coast. From what I've heard there is some geographic bias for residency, but not nearly as much as when applying to med school. More of a "why does this guy want to come to NY when they've spent the last four years in LA?". You might have to spend cash to do an away or two if you want a residency on the opposite coast. It won't keep you out of any program, especially if you have the numbers/grades to back it up, just be ready to answer the question if they ask why you want to come to [insert location]. I think that if you had a better feeling from USC and the city of LA, then go there and just bust ass so that if you find yourself wanting to end up on the opposite coast then you put yourself in good position to do so.

I disagree with the lack of diversity in Boston. It won't be like NYC, LA, New Orleans or Honolulu, and it's I would say it's less diverse than LA, but almost half the city is non-white. We're not Portland. Different ethnic groups/races tend to be segregated into different parts of the city. If you spend all your time in Back Bay as opposed to East Boston or Dudley Square, then I wouldn't be surprised if you feel there's a lack of diversity. There's plenty diversity, it's just not integrated. Outside Boston, OTOH, is pretty monochrome unless you go to Springfield or Worcester. The Mexican food won't be as good as in LA, though.

Also, the area around USC isn't that great. It's not as bad as the area around the undergrad campus, but I would say Chinatown in Boston isn't as bad (though by no means a great area).

Like a few people mentioned it really seems like it comes down to wanting a new environment or not (aside from possible financial aid differences that might come up). I've been facing this SAME problem for the past few weeks and this morning I finally settled on USC. Can't lie I'm a bit nervous about leaving everyone I know behind and being in a different time zone but it did a summer program there and just thinking back to my time spent there, the positive energy and overwhelming support of the faculty is why I am willing to take on the new experience.

All the other pros mentioned above also helped lol especially the weather after this rough winter up in the north east.

Like a few people mentioned it really seems like it comes down to wanting a new environment or not (aside from possible financial aid differences that might come up). I've been facing this SAME problem for the past few weeks and this morning I finally settled on USC. Can't lie I'm a bit nervous about leaving everyone I know behind and being in a different time zone but it did a summer program there and just thinking back to my time spent there, the positive energy and overwhelming support of the faculty is why I am willing to take on the new experience.

All the other pros mentioned above also helped lol especially the weather after this rough winter up in the north east.

Good for you! I'll most likely be your classmate :)

EDIT: Sorry, posting mistake.

Last edited:
@gorun your post was amazing. Thank you! I got what you meant

That's really nice of you! I was worried that it came off wrong, and so I deleted it RIGHT WHEN you liked it. Oh well, it was a candle in the wind. :) I'm glad you liked it - that's the important part. To future readers the take-home message was: Go on an adventure. Push outside your comfort zone. Follow your heart. Surround yourself with people you admire in a place where you feel happy. And I'm OLD, yo! So I can say stuff like this now! ;) Good luck to you, RocDiva4040!

Reactions: 2 users
USC, I'll be there! But you're right about the residency thing -- USC definitely has a lot of more connections in the West Coast, but I'm sure finding a spot on the East Coast won't be that hard either. Personally, I wouldn't mind another few years of sunshine. :cool:

Edit: I'm also an east coast applicant and from what I've heard, relocating back wouldn't be too hard since you have a legitimate reason for doing so -- to be close to your family.

Last edited:
Congratulations on the scholarship! That is a substantial amount of money for sure. If it were me, I would definitely take the money and the family support and go to Tufts. I don't know much about either school, but I have lived in both southern California and Boston for large amounts of time. Boston is an amazing city (as I'm sure you know hah) and would give you a lot of great opportunities. Of course I do love southern California and can see it's perks, but I don't think it's worth it personally. Plus, you can do your residency in a different city from Boston and explore then. It sounds like you'll be happy and successful at either place, so why not go with the money savings and family support? Totally just my two cents though.

I understand wanting a change of scenery but you could always do an away rotation or find a research position the summer after MS1. Too big of a financial difference to pass up Tufts.
Good luck with your decision!

I'm not sure if this is possible, but could you try to leverage the scholarship from Tufts to get USC to pony up a better financial aid package?

I could try (and I will), but I think it's very unlikely that USC will offer anything up. They give no need based aid and they seem to be rigid on that. I think the only way I'll get money from them now is if someone who got a merit scholarship turns down USC and then it goes to me. But then again I don't think my stats are competitive enough to get a merit scholarship.

Having lived in Boston and Southern California, this is a no brainer for me. USC all the way.

Just got my USC Finaid package... it is definitely heart attack inducing.

Got mine too. The COA is just heart stopping. Let's just say that the full amount of the Unsubsidized Stafford loan is not enough to cover HALF of it.

Got mine too. The COA is just heart stopping. Let's just say that the full amount of the Unsubsidized Stafford loan is not enough to cover HALF of it.

Jesus! Well it's looking like Tufts it is then...

Got mine today too. I guess I'll be withdrawing. :(.

Got mine today too. I guess I'll be withdrawing. :(.

^ +1. SC was my top choice too... but I could def see the price tag constantly lingering over my head. Will have to withdraw.

^ +1. SC was my top choice too... but I could def see the price tag constantly lingering over my head. Will have to withdraw.

My other choice is less than half the price of USC. I loved USC, but not enough to justify debt on the order of 340k even before interest.

My other choice is less than half the price of USC. I loved USC, but not enough to justify debt on the order of 340k even before interest.
Folks are withdrawing from USC like rats fleeing a sinking ship.

Reactions: 6 users