USC (keck)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

jordews

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey you guys.. i don't know if any of you have gotten this, but I got an email from USC (Keck). The basic gist was that we need to sit tight, and that there was going to be an online supplemental available within the next two weeks. Im sure you all got this too, but if anyone wants, I can give more specific info about it.

Members don't see this ad.

Quick question, if you don't mind, about USC's admission reqs. I wanted to apply there but didn't on account of never having taken Molecular Bio. I still would like to add it to my amcas app. Anyone know if a course in Genetics, or the like, might be construed to fall within the range of Molecular Bio. Thanks.

Georgey,
Yah i would believe that pretty much any molecular bio course would fall under that requirement. It's not even listed in their main recs in the MSAR. I haven't even taken genetics, but my bio class went heavily into molecular stuff, so I'm sure that would count. Like I said, i doubt it's too stringent of a rec just because its kind of referred to as a side note in the MSAR. i didnt even notice it the first time i read it actually.

Members don't see this ad :)
hey jordew,

could you post the specific email that usc sent you? i am applying to usc but never got that email. thanx!

I got it dews (once yesterday, once today)

From USC Keck School of Medicine:
•Dear Andrew:

Thank you Andrew for your interest in the Keck School of Medicine at the
University of Southern California. This email is notification that we
have received your preliminary information from AMCAS indicating that you
have applied to the Keck School of Medicine. While we are patiently
waiting to receive your full, verified application from AMCAS, there are
two steps that you can take in the meantime to work on completing your
application:

1) Complete a supplemental application. You will receive another email
within the next two weeks that will contain a link to our supplemental
application. You should complete this application and submit it online.

2) Begin to have a current Pre-Medical Advisory Committee evaluation OR
two current letters of recommendation from science faculty who have taught
you, sent to our office at the address below.

Additional letters of recommendation are optional. If you would like to
provide additional letters for consideration, they will be included in
your file. However, they will not be considered instead of your
Pre-Medical Committee Evaluation or your two letters of recommendation
from science faculty. The number of additional letters you submit will be
at your discretion, however please be mindful of the fact that the
Admissions Committee will be reading letters from over 5,000 applicants.
Please ask that your Social Security number be included on
any letter submitted on your behalf. Taking these steps now should help
prevent any further delay in the admissions process.

Best Wishes,
Keck School of Medicine Office of Admissions

Mail recommendation letters to:

Keck School of Medicine
Office of Admissions
1975 Zonal Ave., KAM 100C
Los Angeles, CA 90089-9021•

I went in and asked them what they had and they said it was pretty close to nothing. Email address, home address, and that's it.

Andrew

I just looked over the MSAR and it looks as though the first year classes at USC are only composed of about 20% out-of-state students. That's less than some state schools. I thought USC was a private school, so how could this be so?

I'm not sure if this is the case with keck, but I know with Baylor (which is also a private school but in Texas) they have preference for TX residents to a certain extent b/c they still get some funding from the state. So while they aren't completely impartial, you have a better chance *statistically* getting into baylor as an out-of-state applicant than at other TX state schools (just going on residency alone). This may be the case with Keck--I think 20% out-of-state students is more than the other state schools have. ajr might know better coming from CA?

About your molecular biology question--keck's website says you need one credit in mol. bio which can fall under "molecular genetics, cell and molecular biology, advanced cell biology or the equivalent" so I think your course in genetics would be fine. I dont know if you know this, but there's also a requirement for 1 semester of biochem in addition to that. ok bye!

I didn't know about the Biochem req. My MSAR is two years old. Thanks for the tip. I guess USC is off my list.

Originally posted by nashtrash:
•I'm not sure if this is the case with keck, but I know with Baylor (which is also a private school but in Texas) they have preference for TX residents to a certain extent b/c they still get some funding from the state. So while they aren't completely impartial, you have a better chance *statistically* getting into baylor as an out-of-state applicant than at other TX state schools (just going on residency alone). This may be the case with Keck--I think 20% out-of-state students is more than the other state schools have. ajr might know better coming from CA?•

I asked around, and the consensus is that a higher proportion of residents of CA apply to USC than folks from other states. This may be expressed in the student body of first years. I don't believe it's because of state funds. You never know with USC though!

Andrew