Dismiss Notice

Interview Feedback: Visit Interview Feedback to view and submit interview information.

Interviewing Masterclass: Free masterclass on interviewing from SDN and Medical College of Georgia

Dismiss Notice
Hey Texans—join us for a DFW meetup! Click here to learn more.

USC (keck)

Discussion in 'Pre-Medical - MD' started by jordews, Aug 9, 2001.

1. jordews

jordews Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

Hey you guys.. i don't know if any of you have gotten this, but I got an email from USC (Keck). The basic gist was that we need to sit tight, and that there was going to be an online supplemental available within the next two weeks. Im sure you all got this too, but if anyone wants, I can give more specific info about it.

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. Georgey

Georgey Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

Quick question, if you don't mind, about USC's admission reqs. I wanted to apply there but didn't on account of never having taken Molecular Bio. I still would like to add it to my amcas app. Anyone know if a course in Genetics, or the like, might be construed to fall within the range of Molecular Bio. Thanks.

4. jordews

jordews Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

Georgey,
    Yah i would believe that pretty much any molecular bio course would fall under that requirement. It's not even listed in their main recs in the MSAR. I haven't even taken genetics, but my bio class went heavily into molecular stuff, so I'm sure that would count. Like I said, i doubt it's too stringent of a rec just because its kind of referred to as a side note in the MSAR. i didnt even notice it the first time i read it actually.

5. redowa

redowa Junior Member
    7+ Year Member

hey jordew,

could you post the specific email that usc sent you? i am applying to usc but never got that email. thanx!

6. kutastha

kutastha 2K Member
    Physician 10+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    I got it dews (once yesterday, once today)

I went in and asked them what they had and they said it was pretty close to nothing. Email address, home address, and that's it.

Andrew

7. Georgey

Georgey Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

I just looked over the MSAR and it looks as though the first year classes at USC are only composed of about 20% out-of-state students. That's less than some state schools. I thought USC was a private school, so how could this be so?

8. nashtrash

nashtrash Member
    7+ Year Member

I'm not sure if this is the case with keck, but I know with Baylor (which is also a private school but in Texas) they have preference for TX residents to a certain extent b/c they still get some funding from the state. So while they aren't completely impartial, you have a better chance *statistically* getting into baylor as an out-of-state applicant than at other TX state schools (just going on residency alone). This may be the case with Keck--I think 20% out-of-state students is more than the other state schools have. ajr might know better coming from CA?

About your molecular biology question--keck's website says you need one credit in mol. bio which can fall under "molecular genetics, cell and molecular biology, advanced cell biology or the equivalent" so I think your course in genetics would be fine. I dont know if you know this, but there's also a requirement for 1 semester of biochem in addition to that. ok bye!

9. Georgey

Georgey Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

I didn't know about the Biochem req. My MSAR is two years old. Thanks for the tip. I guess USC is off my list.

10. kutastha

kutastha 2K Member
    Physician 10+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    I asked around, and the consensus is that a higher proportion of residents of CA apply to USC than folks from other states. This may be expressed in the student body of first years. I don't believe it's because of state funds. You never know with USC though!

Andrew