Dismiss Notice

Interview Feedback: Visit Interview Feedback to view and submit interview information.

Interviewing Masterclass: Free masterclass on interviewing from SDN and Medical College of Georgia

USC + LAC Hospital vs Boston Medical Center (Med Student Exposure)

Discussion in 'Pre-Medical - MD' started by CCMDOC9254, Aug 23, 2015.

1. CCMDOC9254

2+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    I've had multiple family members attend USC/Keck school of medicine and they were telling me that since the LA County Hospital is so understaffed that even 1st year med students get a huge amount of exposure (scrubbing in on surgeries etc), essentially they will take any help they can get. I have heard similar things about Boston Medical Center, just wondering if it is true that you can get a decent amount of clinical exposure even your first year at BU vs USC.

2. Cyberdyne 101

Cyberdyne 101 It's a dry heat
    Gold Donor Classifieds Approved 5+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    I'm quoting @SouthernSurgeon here:

Early clinical experiences" are awkwardly shoe-horned into the curriculum in such a way as to try and make them relevant, and in reality all they end up doing is being a time-sink for students who are stressed out studying for their next exam. So the human aspect of it which they should be appreciating ends up being an early introduction to the deprioritization/dehumanization of medicine.

Oh and it's also meaninglesss because every school has these opportunities, yet a select few brag about theirs as if it is a revolutionary concept that has totally changed their school for the better.

You'll spend your whole life working with patients. You'll get plenty of "real patient experience" in the clinical years, assuming they are done well.

In other words....a lot of pre-meds think something exactly along these lines:

"It might serve as a nice reminder about why I'm studying so hard, while helping to put what I'm learning in context."

Schools know this and prey on that line of thinking, even though anyone who has actually gone through the experience can tell you how trivial that ends up being.

Schools that offer clinical experience during MS1/2

3. Psai

Psai Snitches get zero vicryl
    Physician 2+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    Mine was like a mini family med clerkship where we learned to interview and do the exam so it was worth the time
    it really depended on your preceptor though, some were just horrible

understaffed = more exposure to things but less learning as no one has time to hold your hand

Winged Scapula and Cyberdyne 101 like this.
  4. Cyberdyne 101

Pre-Medical
    I figure the understaffed thing may provide a more hands on experience during the actual clinical rotations. But what you're saying about not having supervision as an MS-1 makes a lot of sense. Early clinical exposure may sound cool, but I know I'd be like a fish out of water in LAC Hospital or wherever as an unsupervised MS-1.

5. CCMDOC9254

2+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    Thank you @Cyberdyne 101 and @Psai , good insight, I dont appreciate southern surgeons sarcasm though.... just trying to do my research on schools, no need to be a sarcastic dick about it.

6. Cyberdyne 101

Pre-Medical
    Eh, I don't think his joke was directed at you. It was more about debunking a myth.

SouthernS is actually one of the more helpful posters in this forum. I think you should also check out his post about the clinical years:

How to tell strength of clinical years?

It's also relevant to your question.

Winged Scapula likes this.
  7. TaroBubbleTea

2+ Year Member

Medical Student
    This x 100. I am two weeks into M1, and I think it's kind of ridiculous how they're already pushing us into the hospital and into patient interactions. I've barely had a chance to get my bearings, and they want us to be playing doctor already.

As a premed, I ate that crap right up. :smack::smack:

Cyberdyne 101 and Winged Scapula like this.
  8. Cyberdyne 101

Pre-Medical
    Are you already learning how to conduct a basic exam?

9. TaroBubbleTea

2+ Year Member

Medical Student
    I think we learn that next week.

Basically, I don't see the patient interaction being anything more than the following:

Me: Hello Mr. X. My name is tbt, a first year med student. So why are you in the hospital today?

Patient: Well, I have nausea, vomiting, and constant headaches.

Me: I'm sorry, that must be terrible. Well, if you need ever need CPR or someone to take your blood pressure, I'll be around.

Patient: gtfo man, I'm trying to watch jerry springer!

10. Cyberdyne 101

Pre-Medical
    So at this rate you'll resect a chordoma by December :laugh:

11. alpinism

alpinism Give Em' the Jet Fuel
    7+ Year Member

The benefits would mainly be in the clinical years (M3/M4) when you have some experience behind you.

Otherwise you can't really learn from patients when you haven't even taken pathology or pharmacology yet (as others have mentioned).

To answer your question, no.

While BMC is a county hospital, its nowhere near the same level as LAC. Boston is flooded with hospitals and is a relatively safe city in comparison.
    Other intense county hospitals would be places like Harbor (UCLA), Parkland (UTSW), Ben Taub (Baylor), Cook (Rush), Grady (Emory), Jackson (Miami), Jacobi (Einstein), Kings (Downstate), Bellevue (NYU), MetroHealth (Case Western), etc... Any hospital in Baltimore, Detroit, St Louis, Memphis, or New Orleans would also offer the same experience although none those cities have official county hospitals.

Cyberdyne 101 likes this.
  12. getdown

Physician 7+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    I don't see any sarcasm in his post at all. And considering it was quoted from another thread, I'm not sure it even applies to you. being angry is silly.

13. avgn

avgn Lv 30, HP 85
    2+ Year Member

MDApps:
    Medical Student
    Wow much hurt you got on the interwebs, maybe you should get an MS1 to treat you as part of their early clinical experiences