Status
Not open for further replies.

pillu

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Feb 2, 2005
Status
Based purely on teaching by the faculty, which one would you choose - USC or Loma Linda?

Nov 4, 2011
Status
Medical Student
I just heard from someone who interviewed at Loma Linda last year, and they told me that Loma Linda looked too desperate, and the residents were not happy there. On the otherhand, I just did a Sub-I at USC and I loved it. I thought that the faculty were really great and did a great job of teaching - both bedside and in small group format. Based on that I'm too sure if I even want to look at Loma Linda since it's so far outside of LA.

What do other people think?

jdh71

Grim Optimist.
10+ Year Member
Dec 14, 2006
Last House on the Block, USA
Status
Attending Physician
I just heard from someone who interviewed at Loma Linda last year, and they told me that Loma Linda looked too desperate, and the residents were not happy there. On the otherhand, I just did a Sub-I at USC and I loved it. I thought that the faculty were really great and did a great job of teaching - both bedside and in small group format. Based on that I'm too sure if I even want to look at Loma Linda since it's so far outside of LA.

What do other people think?
It's busy. But good training. They really should try and improve their interview day. Everything else being equal you might not rank it if you want to be in LA itself. The drive is like at least an hour, and that's on a good day (I made it back from LA at 3am once in about 45 minutes flying at pretty high speeds). Though, I think having all of the fellowships you could want in-house, and the fact that they generally like to take their own, if you're gunning for a competitive sub-speciality (cards, GI, or heme/onc), then they are definitely worth checking out if for nothing else then you'll have one more place to rank on your list that will help you towards the competitive sub-specialty of interest.

gutonc

No Meat, No Treat
Staff member
Administrator
10+ Year Member
Mar 6, 2005
Status
Attending Physician
Thread closed. Please go here to discuss the USC IM program.

Status
Not open for further replies.