USC or Loma Linda?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Johnson22

johnsons22
10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Which would you choose? Why?

Members don't see this ad.

depends on where ur from, what u want to do after you graduate, if u like the big city or the suburbs, if you are religious etc.

I'm bogged down by the same decision Johnson22. USC or Loma Linda? What are you basing your ultimate decision on? I know both schools are good in their own right, but don't know which one is good for me. I asked my family and friends and I get mixed responses. I am torn. I too want to know what some predents say about this one.

Members don't see this ad :)
Johnson22 said:
Which would you choose? Why?

A friend of mine goes to USC and she says USC's curriculum is a little out of control right now - problem-based learning tutorials are a bit of a mess. She says she wishes for a normal curriculum. But that's just her.

I think USC is a more prestigous school and better known, but it depends what you are looking for.

I beleieve Loma Linda to be the more prestigious school! Its a very, very good school. Very good rep. in CA and around the world thanks to the Chan Shun Pavillion. Prince benefits are endless.

as you all know,
USC = Very Expensive, PBL (very very very disorganized), no traditional lecture, in LA,
Loma Linda = A lot Cheaper than USC, Traditional Lecture, religious (no alcohol, smoke, sex on campus - out of campus, who CARES!!), good clinical, in Loma Linda

During my visit to USC, some 3rd yr dental students confessed that they still had difficulty with PBL curriculum, and some 1st yr complaining about high tuition, neighborhood, and etc... They were even considering a transfer to other schools, but which schools are gonna take this PBL-trained students? Harvard??? (duh~~)

However, they were just proud of themselves that they would be dentists in near future. Both USC & Loma Linda is well known internationally & nationally, but why spend more money for school with "NO LECTURES"???

If you think you can't handle PBL, choose Loma Linda. I don't think it really matters where you are from, either city or surburbs. you can choose where to practice after you graduate. Why not Spend 4yrs of your precious time in a quiet town with a patient-focused school! Call (GOD) 000-HOLY for a TOUR around the CAMPUS~! Free of CHARGE! Offering always welcomed.

egpndoc said:
depends on where ur from, what u want to do after you graduate, if u like the big city or the suburbs, if you are religious etc.

I am from right in the middle in OC. I have heard mixed feelings about PBL, but I liked the program when I was there. I just want to make sure that I make the right decision. I have heard great things about both schools. My fiancee is an undergrad at USC and will graduate in May so I am leaning that direction. It will probably be a lot easier for her to get the job she wants in LA. Basically I just want to make sure that USC will prepare me correctly for the boards and prepare me to be a great dentist. Thanks for all the help with your responses!

the one thing I like about USC is the connections they have afterwards with their alumni so you are pretty much taken care of

ecrdoubles15 said:
the one thing I like about USC is the connections they have afterwards with their alumni so you are pretty much taken care of

Thats what I have heard. Several dentists that I have talked to in Southern California have said that you definately want to be from USC. And those dentists were from other dental schools.

Dont forget the Number 1 Alumni power with USC.
Not just dental alumni.
They get everything u wish for.

Im in the same situation, as I have been accepted to both. Currently I am leaning towards USC, but I wanted to know if anyone has any info on the specialty/match rates.

Do the students that want to specialize get where they want to be?

My cousin went there and said that it was a very very good patient centered school. Only negative thing i know is that they rank you funny, i dont know the exact details, but look into how they rank the class. I've heard that it can hurt your chances for specializing, but dont quote me on that. Ask some LLU students for details

As far as location, it'll be a choice between heat/smog or living in a shady part of town.

I would recommend LLU b/c I've met the faculty over the years, and they are very very nice and once youre in the school, they'll do all they can to get you through as a competent dentist. Plus i dont know of any other schools that offer as many mission trips to various places around the world to get more clinical exposure. Its pretty amazing to go to a 3rd world country and offer much needed assistance to people who otherwise wouldnt be able to see a dentist as a dental student. Most dentist dont even experience that in their entire careers! I think that that is the most attractive part of the school, their emphasis on service to others.

And there is something to be said about going to a christian school. Afterall, life isnt all about pursuit of money (IMO).

Anyways good luck with your decision. :)

Members don't see this ad :)
USC has a better football team. Then again, if you go to LLU you could form a football team and be on it and play against USC. LLU Ninja Pirates!

I didn't apply to USC so I don't know anything about them that hasn't been mentioned already. I am looking forward to LLU's service missions - once a month they go to mexico and then in the summers to places like Fiji, Philippines, Guatemala, etc. You pay 1/3 of the cost and the school covers the rest. Next year at this time you could be practicing dentistry in mexico!

I think I'd prefer LLU's location. All the city attractions are an hour away so it's not bad for the weekend, but at USC you wouldn't have time during the week to go clubbing or bar-hopping anyway. Classes get out early friday so I plan on putting my surfboard (which I don't have yet) in my truck (also need to purchase) and heading to the beaches.

Ok, I've heard a lot of rumors about the "alumni power" of USC and that you have the best connections. Does anybody have any actual proof of this? What does that mean anyway? How can that help you if you are a dentist trying to start a business?

My dad graduated USC dental in 78' and I've NEVER heard him say anything that there is this sort of USC advantage or something like that.

But then again if you donate a bunch of money to USC once you're out I guess things may be different.

So if anybody has any really stories to tell about the alumni power of USC please tell, or else I'll just keep calling it a rumor.

Either way I would want to go to LL anyway. I don't trust PBL yet.

USUaggie said:
USC has a better football team. Then again, if you go to LLU you could form a football team and be on it and play against USC. LLU Ninja Pirates!

I didn't apply to USC so I don't know anything about them that hasn't been mentioned already. I am looking forward to LLU's service missions - once a month they go to mexico and then in the summers to places like Fiji, Philippines, Guatemala, etc. You pay 1/3 of the cost and the school covers the rest. Next year at this time you could be practicing dentistry in mexico!

I think I'd prefer LLU's location. All the city attractions are an hour away so it's not bad for the weekend, but at USC you wouldn't have time during the week to go clubbing or bar-hopping anyway. Classes get out early friday so I plan on putting my surfboard (which I don't have yet) in my truck (also need to purchase) and heading to the beaches.

lol you are such a dreamer. service mission is not like vacations, you just got a chance to go around in the day before you leave. seniors and junior have priority, and also keep in mind, the service team is has really limited space (usually about 10 people). Also unless you are extremly smart, you will burn yourself out in library or MDL from study in the weekend for the 1st and 2nd year. Also you might end up to study alot of SDA believe and bibles in order to do well in religion classes. alot of dental school students also dont have time to get lunch. As i mentioned before, the school food is not that great and resturants are far. it will take you about 15 mintues to walk to parking lot to pick up your car and 15 minutes to walk back, you only have half a hour to drive, order and eat (lots of traffic light around too). Perhap del taco and carl's junior would be your best friend thought out dental school. Most of students i knew lost lots of weight in D1 and D2. Anyway, I am not trying to discourage you but I dont want you to get disappoint later. It is kinda like that you are buying something from ebay :)

RiversideS13 said:
....Also you might end up to study alot of SDA believe and bibles in order to do well in religion classes..... Most of students i knew lost lots of weight in D1 and D2....
Religion -
We've already established that religion classes are for the LLU undergrad. The only religion d-students get is one hour a week on wednesday afternoons with no homework and most students use the hour to study for other classes anyways, so it's nothing like you're describing. We've been through this on other threads, haven't we?

Food-
It wouldn't hurt me to get back down to a trim 175 lbs :laugh:

Service missions - I know it's not like a vacation. It's a service mission. I still look forward to them. Also, with Mexico missions being offered every month throughout the whole 4 years, I doubt that the 3rd and 4rth year students take all the spots. I was informed that freshman go too. The fact that they have this program established and most other schools don't would mean a much greater opportunity to practice dentistry earlier. But then again, maybe I'm dead wrong and next year you'll find me in the pre-dental forum saying "don't go to LLU, it's a big scam! Worst place ever!" :laugh: I hope not.

lol i just got tire of answering other threads but i think you should know following...

In religion classes you do have papers to write and i saw my bro had to stay up late to write papers and read the religion books. and I just happen to have the 00-01 LLU school of dentistry course list in my hand. hopefully they would drop some religion courses? Those classes are additional to the charpel time.

Freshman-
Aventist Hertiage and Health - 2 unit/Fall
Christian Ethics for Dentist - 2 unit/winter

Sophomore-
Personal & FAmily Wholness- 2 unit/Fall

Junior-
Religion selective - 2 unit/Fall
Religion selective - 2 unit/winter
The art of Integrative care - 2 unit/spring

Senior-
Religion, Marriage & Family - 2unit/winter

It is nice to see you will like LLU..so in the future if i hear you complain in class, i am going to shovel my dental tools into your ass.

USUaggie said:
Also, with Mexico missions being offered every month throughout the whole 4 years, I doubt that the 3rd and 4rth year students take all the spots. I was informed that freshman go too. The fact that they have this program established and most other schools don't would mean a much greater opportunity to practice dentistry earlier.

My dentist came from USC and she got the same deal. She went to Mexico and worked at a mission in Tijuana and got to go to Puerto Rico to do more charity work. This is not exclusive to LLU. Mexico is just convenient and because the people there are grateful to get any work done. Don't be misled by the idea of "studying abroad."

budge311 said:
Ok, I've heard a lot of rumors about the "alumni power" of USC and that you have the best connections. Does anybody have any actual proof of this? What does that mean anyway? How can that help you if you are a dentist trying to start a business?

My dad graduated USC dental in 78' and I've NEVER heard him say anything that there is this sort of USC advantage or something like that.

Yea, that's a good point. Just cause USC won the Orange Bowl and a murdering football superstar came out of its ranks doesn't make it an academic powerhouse or anything. What sort of alumni are we talking about?

RiversideS13 said:
....so in the future if i hear you complain in class, i am going to shovel my dental tools into your ass.
:laugh: :laugh: First off, I'm not a complainer, so that probably won't happen. On the other hand, I might try throwing a complaint out there for the sake of watching you get a shovel, place all of your instruments on it, and then......

Anyway, are you saying that you'll be attending LLU in the fall and will be my classmate? That's great if you are, but why do all your posts seem to discourage people from going there?

:laugh: a shovel. I've never heard that :laugh:

EyeAmCommi said:
My dentist came from USC and she got the same deal. She went to Mexico and worked at a mission in Tijuana and got to go to Puerto Rico to do more charity work. This is not exclusive to LLU. Mexico is just convenient and because the people there are grateful to get any work done. Don't be misled by the idea of "studying abroad."
As I mentioned earlier, I don't know much about USC (except that Norm Chow is a genius offensive coordinater). That's cool that they offer those too.

i actually know many people who is attending LLU and question their self often "why am I here?" or " I dont want to be here...". I just hate those kind people dont know what they are getting into and I really dont want to see my future classmate whinning like a *****, because we tried really hard to get into there.

I am sorry if my posts look discourage but they are just common known facts for me or few La sierra students who have relative attending LLU (I actually showed my posts to my friends, who are attending llu as well, they agreed the "fact" i distributed). but if you think you can handle the dark facts that I distributed, then I must say you will enjoy the life in LLU. the best part of LLU is that 3rd and 4th years are really like heaven.

anyway, I will revile myself to you when school start. peace out

If I see anyone show up to school with a shovel, I'm not claiming to be USUaggie. I'll say my name is BYUcougar or UUute or something. :laugh:
J/K - I'm looking forward to meeting you.
Yeah, I've also heard there are some whiners at LLU so I see where you're coming from now. For the sake of the OP, why did you choose LLU?