USC or Loma Linda?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

jokerjoe12

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
hey guys, i got into USC and I'm still waiting for Loma Linda, just wanted to see what you guys thought was a better school....

Members don't see this ad.

LLU has one of the best clinicals in the country...the dentist I shadowed at was an LLU graduate...i already got rejected from there..but i'm waiting on USC....

good luck deciding... i'd go LLU :D ;)

I say go to LLU.
Cheaper tuition
Cheaper cost of living
Less traffic around the area
Clinical experience is tops. From what I hear, there's no need for a GPR after grad.
Traditional learning. That is unless you prefer PBL
Cheaper tuition

don't listen to those LLU haters ;)

Members don't see this ad :)
LLU is in one of the smoggiest places on earth.

jdude said:
LLU is in one of the smoggiest places on earth.

So is Los Angeles.

If you don't mind an hour of church each week, it's a no-brainer. Go to LLU.

jokerjoe12 said:
hey guys, just heard from both schools and needed some help deciding!

Congrats, Jokerjoe, could I ask what your numbers were like?

3.4 Gpa, 18aa/19ts/17pat, although my DAT's arent too high, I'm an X-ray tech and have been published and doing dental research

Dude Morc-ASS, Let's go to Lawry's for some Prime Rib! :)

eapleitez said:
So is Los Angeles.

If you don't mind an hour of church each week, it's a no-brainer. Go to LLU.

It's really no big deal. I went to PT school there. I used that time for napping and cramming.

i would suggest to speak with current students in both schools and see how they like it. I also think D1, D2, D3, D4 students had completely different impressions about their own schools. congrat for your acceptance

LLU all the way, much better program! very strong clinical....not crazy about USC'S PBL system......But either way congrats on the acceptance

Dude go to USC! Great alumni that will hook you up with a job as soon as your out of school. I would kill to be a trojan. The whole atmosphere on campus is the best anywhere.

Members don't see this ad :)
i say USC, too.

just regarding the area - i've been in southern california for six years, and there is really not much to do in loma linda. when we're not studying next year, it would be nice to be able to take a break and do something fun nearby. true, the city isn't what is most important when deciding where to go, but i know some D4s at LLU who drive all the way to LA on the weekends - that's plus or minus 2.5 hours, depending on traffic. lame.

also, i'm a fan of the PBL program. :thumbup:
i heard that loma linda's cost of tuition is comparable to USC... not quite as expensive, but comparable. is that true?

I've lived in LA all my life. I attended LLU for three years and it never took me more than 1.5 hours to get to LA. (most of the time just 1hr) The only time it gets any worse is in the morning when all the inlanders are trying to get to work in LA.

If you want to live in a safe neighborhood off-campus when attending USC, your daily commute will be around 45min-1hr total (back and forth). And you'll ALWAYS run into traffic before and after class. The whole town of Loma Linda is safe. You can live off campus and get to school under 5 minutes...no traffic.

That's a big plus for me. Traffic drains the life out of me. 1 hr daily drives for school vs. an occasional 2 hr weekend drive for fun. It all depends what's important to you.

And about finances...

USC is about 65K per year (~42K for the 4th year). That's without personal and living expenses.

LLU is ~40K per year...again, without personal or living expenses.

Don't get me wrong. I love living in LA and I'm not too thrilled about moving. But will everything factored in, I chose LLU.

USC's PBL program is good if you are completely focused and can force yourself to go the extra distance when studying. I have a lot of friends in it right now that are suffering because there is no lecture, or direction as far as what to study. I think it really depends on the person... i wouldnt worry too much about that alumni status....at the end of the day you want to be able to perform... LLU is an all around better education for a lower price.

I was EXACTLY in the same situation last year....

I was accepted to both LLU, and USC last year and had to make a decision. I chose USC.

There were several reasons why I chose SC over LLU. The thing that sealed the deal was I went on a second tour of the school during the spring (before I made my final decision). This part is totally my decision, I did not get a good vibe from the school. LLU is unique in their rules and practices...Im sure you know them/heard of them right now (if you dont read other llu posts to find out)

I did not feel that I could live there for 4 years. The community looked like a small town out of middle America. There is not much to do in terms of night life (I am from LA). The school itself.....the clinic was really nice....chairs looked nice. the pre-clinical labs were another story, it is located on the basement floor of an old building....the roof is low...all years of dental students were cramped like sardines in the lab, i did not like that at all b/c your first half of D school concentrated in the labs.

Tuition for llu is about 40-45K and with living is probably close to 55-60K. I currently am living at home so the cost basically would be the same in either case.

PBL works, its just of matter of being motivated to self-study, and just adapt to the program. SC pumps out good clinicians...and so does LLU.

Thanks all I have to say for now.

Thanks, Im not in LLU yet but hoping to be soon. I still have no decision, but your input helped! thanks

Just wanted to know, around how many students has LLU already accepted? I haven't even heard from them even though I sent my secondary in over 3 months ago.

GPA: 3.3 Sci: 3.2
DAT: 20/21/17

I chose USC - Loma Linda just doesn't appeal to me. Also, if you plan to practice in CA, go to USC. I've never even heard of Loma Linda until I began applying to dental schools.

i say LLU even though that 7th day stuff sucks for me!!!!! Youll save lots of money and the horrid la traffic. if they didnt have that 7 day stuff, i would have considered going there. so its really up to you if you want to deal with church or traffic. Ill sleep during church rather than fight traffic any day :D

LLU has very strict dress code, so say goodbye to mini skirt :D

does anyone know the chances of getting to LLU now? is it good that i still haven't gotten rejected or do they just keep people waiting till the last minute? thanks a lot.

Well, for me quality of life for 4 years is really important, as it should be. Having said that, the LA traffic would make life suck a$$. I live in the east bay area so I know about traffic but LA just seems to be significantly more insane.

I don't have your dilemma becasue I was 15 min late to my USC interview due to insane traffic so I'm not really expecting acceptance into USC. It took 1hr 30 min to get to USC from LAX.....ouch! I was going 5 mph almost the whole time!! Plus, I wasn't impressed with PBL and I think it showed in the mock PBL session.

To summarize my opinion of USC:

1) Don't like PBL
2) LA traffic blows
3) The school is in a dump (be sure to wear gang neutral colors!)
4) Extrodinarily expensive (tuition and living)

If you're down with Jesus, go to LLU