DrBooBoo

Member
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Sep 8, 2004
30
0
Status
Ok, so I got into both, but I don't know which to choose from, can you guys please help me?

Here's what I have for each:

USC:
1. stay in LA
2. pass/fail curriculum
3. good clinical exposure

UCSD:
1. La Jolla is a nice city
2. it's CHEAP!
3. it's not off campus like USC
4. 17th in research and 7th in primary care




Also, can you guys tell me how they compare on residency placement in CA?


Thanks!
 

roadrunnerrita

Member
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Jun 25, 2004
63
0
Los Angeles, CA
Status
DrBooBoo said:
Also, can you guys tell me how they compare on residency placement in CA?
Call the office of admissions and ask for residency placement lists -- not that the lists mean much to us-- I haven't the slightest what makes a good residency. Also- go to 2nd look weekends. See you at 'SC's!
 

Sparky Man

Senior Member
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Sep 3, 2004
445
0
Status
Medical Student
DrBooBoo said:
Ok, so I got into both, but I don't know which to choose from, can you guys please help me?

Here's what I have for each:

USC:
1. stay in LA
2. pass/fail curriculum
3. good clinical exposure

UCSD:
1. La Jolla is a nice city
2. it's CHEAP!
3. it's not off campus like USC
4. 17th in research and 7th in primary care




Also, can you guys tell me how they compare on residency placement in CA?


Thanks!
I'd go to UCSD.
 

sdnstud

1K Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Jul 29, 2003
1,017
0
Visit site
Status
Well...it's between a rich private school and a public school. It depends on what you want out of your medical school experience. Personally, I think both schools are comparable in terms of reputation in CA. Sure, UCSD is ranked higher, but U$C got the connections.

DrBooBoo said:
Ok, so I got into both, but I don't know which to choose from, can you guys please help me?

Here's what I have for each:

USC:
1. stay in LA
2. pass/fail curriculum
3. good clinical exposure

UCSD:
1. La Jolla is a nice city
2. it's CHEAP!
3. it's not off campus like USC
4. 17th in research and 7th in primary care




Also, can you guys tell me how they compare on residency placement in CA?


Thanks!
 

CharlesCA

Member
15+ Year Member
May 7, 2003
42
3
Pasadena, CA
Status
Attending Physician
sdnstud said:
Well...it's between a rich private school and a public school. It depends on what you want out of your medical school experience. Personally, I think both schools are comparable in terms of reputation in CA. Sure, UCSD is ranked higher, but U$C got the connections.
If it's medical school, USC in a heartbeat. County is the greatest place to work at!
 

lulubean

Senior Member
10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Nov 8, 2004
410
0
Status
Resident [Any Field]
congrats on your acceptances! these are great schools to choose from! my $0.02 are:

UCSD:
(+) public and more affordable
(+) several different hospitals to gain clinical experience at, all serving different populations (underserved, wealthy, veterans)
(+) very active student run free clinic
(-) lots of lecture time / traditional curriculum

USC:
(+) LA County - USC
(-) Expensive as hell!
(-) i have heard lots of current students complain about the lack of faculty support and guidance

i would go to ucsd, personally, but go to the second-look weekends and see what feels best!
 
OP
D

DrBooBoo

Member
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Sep 8, 2004
30
0
Status
thanks for the replies...i've also heard about the lack of guidance at usc...I just don't know if I could manage with all the class time and the NP/P/Honors system at ucsd...

I guess I'm gonna have to go to both second look weekends....
 

docmemi

1K Member
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Jul 21, 2003
1,494
3
Los Angeles, Calif.
Visit site
Status
lulubean said:
congrats on your acceptances! these are great schools to choose from! my $0.02 are:

UCSD:
(+) public and more affordable
(+) several different hospitals to gain clinical experience at, all serving different populations (underserved, wealthy, veterans)
(+) very active student run free clinic
(-) lots of lecture time / traditional curriculum

USC:
(+) LA County - USC
(-) Expensive as hell!
(-) i have heard lots of current students complain about the lack of faculty support and guidance

i would go to ucsd, personally, but go to the second-look weekends and see what feels best!

these are great points. thats enough to sell ucsd to me. but i would strongly consider usc because of its integrated curriculum and its pass/fail. thats a huge deal...what youll have to go through for 2 f'in years. hey, if you live in la, ask the admission office to give you contact for a first year and then shadown him/her...go to their classes and see how it is.

but hey, i actually think the lots of lecture time thing might be good. you get taught everything instead of having to teach yourself like here at ucla.

when it comes down to it, ask yourself: 4 years in x location, x tuition, x curriculum, x grading system, x faculty, x opportunities for research and clinical, x amount of class time, x student life, x student support. just think what you want to do day in and day out for the next 2 years...aka hell.
 

BananaSplit

Senior Member
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
May 29, 2002
360
1
San Diego
Visit site
Status
DrBooBoo said:
Also, can you guys tell me how they compare on residency placement in CA?


Thanks!
Why don't you wait until March and then you can compare new match results. With that said, I don't think you'll have a problem matching in California for either school. Do you have some idea of what you want to go into? If you do, you can pick the school with more research emphasis in that specialty.
 

MDinTraining26

Member
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Oct 7, 2004
77
0
Status
UCS has got the connections and I think it is best for you. I would do that in a heartbeat and County is the best place to work at. Hope this helps.
 

so_nice

Junior Member
10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Jan 21, 2005
19
0
38
Nyc
Status
In terms of housing, La Jolla is a very expensive city. Make sure you apply for student/family housing ASAP or you could potentially pay $1700-1800/mo for a two bedroom apartment near campus!
 

bbaek

One day at a time....
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Sep 21, 2004
274
0
Status
usc. i heard some very negative things about ucsd and the curriculum. seems to be cut-throat to the max over there.

LA is a great place to be, and definitely working at LA+USC County is a plus!
 

docmemi

1K Member
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Jul 21, 2003
1,494
3
Los Angeles, Calif.
Visit site
Status
which curriculum is more pass/fail?
do you want to be lectured or do you like more small group learning and independent study?
do you want to be in la or san diego...both awesome?
do you want to be in a traditional or newer curriculum?
do you want to do research with a particular professor you know is at a particular university?
do you want to be in a campus near undergrads or separated?
do you want to train at mainly one hospital or various hospitals...keep in mind usc will hopefully soon have a new county hosp up soon?
student life? ask some students if they party, etc and if they have free time. look at the facilites, like libararies and gym.
how friendly is the student affairs office?
opportunities on campus.

then go whereever you like better. good lcuk
 

Long Dong

My middle name is Duc.
10+ Year Member
Aug 8, 2004
1,894
11
The Best Coast
Status
Attending Physician
Unless USC is giving you a full ride I'd go for UCSD. If you go to USC you'll owe like over 200K.
 

UCLAstudent

I'm a luck dragon!
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Sep 6, 2002
5,046
7
36
CA
Visit site
Status
Resident [Any Field]
so_nice said:
In terms of housing, La Jolla is a very expensive city. Make sure you apply for student/family housing ASAP or you could potentially pay $1700-1800/mo for a two bedroom apartment near campus!
This is true, but housing for USC isn't so cheap, either (i.e., Pasadena).

I would pick UCSD, mostly for tuition and location. But, USC is a great school. :thumbup:
 
OP
D

DrBooBoo

Member
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Sep 8, 2004
30
0
Status
docmemi said:
which curriculum is more pass/fail?
do you want to be lectured or do you like more small group learning and independent study?
do you want to be in la or san diego...both awesome?
do you want to be in a traditional or newer curriculum?
do you want to do research with a particular professor you know is at a particular university?
do you want to be in a campus near undergrads or separated?
do you want to train at mainly one hospital or various hospitals...keep in mind usc will hopefully soon have a new county hosp up soon?
student life? ask some students if they party, etc and if they have free time. look at the facilites, like libararies and gym.
how friendly is the student affairs office?
opportunities on campus.

then go whereever you like better. good lcuk

thanks docmemi, I just have to take all these things into consideration....you guys are really helpful...