USC or UOP urgent!!!!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

big smile

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Confusing where to go USC or UOP and I live in LA.

Members don't see this ad.

I would go to UOP without any hesitation

- UOP Arthur Dugoni Dental school is so excellent that it has been included within the 2011-top ten ranking of the best dental schools in the US and Canada.
- UOP dental school is unique in that it is the only dental school in the US that has a three year curriculum (instead of 4 as all other dental schools in the US). And this is important to the students of the two year international program since the they will learn Dentistry from the beginning ( as if they are freshman) and they will experience a number of hours of clinical education well above the national average.

- USC has a good dental school but it has a major disadvantage in that the curriculum is 100% problem based learning with no lectures at all, which is a method not effective to all of the subjects. I’ve heard many USC students complaining about that even the regular 4-years DDS students.
- USC campus lies in the ghetto area of downtown LA, so the inside of it looks good but surrounding area is kinda bad and dangerous.

-There is no big difference in tuition between the two schools, Both are expensive :(

Good luck

Members don't see this ad :)
I agree, UOP is a wonderful program. I would choose that over USC.

ya thats true uop of course dont look at any thing .usc is so expensive its excluded intrumenta and all other things

Last edited:
Totally understand how hard it is to make a decision, especially we don't know so much about schools as applicants. Besides school itself, we should also consider about spending, family, living......

As a person on the same boat, I want to share some facts about UOP with you.

1. UOP is one of the first dental schools (or it is the first? I am not pretty sure about it) with IDS/IDP in US. It is really well-organized. You can feel it during our interview.

2. UOP has only two specality programs, you have more complex cases during your study. You will have opportunity to do perio surgery, and at least one implant ( the last step of implant will be completed by a faculty and you assist, but you can do all rest of steps).

3. UOP has different clinic clubs.for example, If you want to be an endo specilty later, go join endo club, then you will have more explosures in endo

4. UOP has a very busy schedule and keeps you at school all day. The study will be harder and tougher, but why not? The reason we spend so much money is to learn new skills or polish our skills. I would like to devote all my time in school if possible. It's only 2-year, why not take advantage of every minute.

5. UOP received lots of private donations from its alumni every year. The donation amount is on the top of all dental schools too. It means a lot to me. I understand it as they appreciate their school. Only those students truly loving their school will do it.

6. UOP is not just training a great dentist in clinical skills, but also training you, influence you in chair-side manner. It has a reputation of a family environment, between faculty and students, between students and patients. When some students graduate from the school, their patients even follow them to new places where the students works (of course, still in the local).

7. I have talked to dentists from different schools, most of them will say all dental schools are same. Don't expect too much from 2-year study. You didn't learn very much in the school as an international dentist who has been trained very well in your home country. BUT UOP's alumni told me totally different! He said the study at UOP was very important to him and made him diffferent. He learned a lot and learned every minute. He loves and appreciates his school. He attends alumni meeting every year and does whatever he can do to contribute to school.

8. After visiting some clinics, found UOP alumni's clinics follow all rules and standards as a fresh dentist out of school even they have owned their clinic for 10 years, even 20 years. How big the influence of study at UOP to them?

Personally, whereever I go, I will respect this school and love this school.

Hope you will make a happy decision.

Confusing where to go USC or UOP and I live in LA.

Last edited:
NYU :thumbup:

PS: coming back to the ongoing 'serious' discussion, Both schools are great, depends majorly on how well you can extract the information from available resources. Most schools in the US have a lot to offer (definitely, more than our expectations!). From my experiences so far, I, sometime, felt that the allotted two years may not be sufficient for us from 'learning' point of view (with respect to both, the amount and quality of information, these schools do have to offer the IDP students). Good luck !

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
Totally understand how hard it is to make a decision, especially we don't know so much about schools as applicants. Besides school itself, we should also consider about spending, family, living......

As a person on the same boat, I want to share some facts about UOP with you.

1. UOP is one of the first dental schools (or it is the first? I am not pretty sure about it) with IDS/IDP in US. It is really well-organized. You can feel it during our interview.

2. UOP has only two specality programs, you have more complex cases during your study. You will have opportunity to do perio surgery, and at least one implant ( the last step of implant will be completed by a faculty and you assist, but you can do all rest of steps).

3. UOP has different clinic clubs.for example, If you want to be an endo specilty later, go join endo club, then you will have more explosures in endo

4. UOP has a very busy schedule and keeps you at school all day. The study will be harder and tougher, but why not? The reason we spend so much money is to learn new skills or polish our skills. I would like to devote all my time in school if possible. It's only 2-year, why not take advantage of every minute.

5. UOP received lots of private donations from its alumni every year. The donation amount is on the top of all dental schools too. It means a lot to me. I understand it as they appreciate their school. Only those students truly loving their school will do it.

6. UOP is not just training a great dentist in clinical skills, but also training you, influence you in chair-side manner. It has a reputation of a family environment, between faculty and students, between students and patients. When some students graduate from the school, their patients even follow them to new places where the students works (of course, still in the local).

7. I have talked to dentists from different schools, most of them will say all dental schools are same. Don't expect too much from 2-year study. You didn't learn very much in the school as an international dentist who has been trained very well in your home country. BUT UOP's alumni told me totally different! He said the study at UOP was very important to him and made him diffferent. He learned a lot and learned every minute. He loves and appreciates his school. He attends alumni meeting every year and does whatever he can do to contribute to school.

8. After visiting some clinics, found UOP alumni's clinics follow all rules and standards as a fresh dentist out of school even they have owned their clinic for 10 years, even 20 years. How big the influence of study at UOP to them?

Personally, whereever I go, I will respect this school and love this school.

Hope you will make a happy decision.

I couldnt have said it better myself!!:thumbup:

Very well said. And all the points are worth noting but my question is, "Do all these plus points of the UOP worth $50k(if we compare USC and UOP) and somewhat $75K(if we compare BU vs UOP)?"

Very well said. And all the points are worth noting but my question is, "Do all these plus points of the UOP worth $50k(if we compare USC and UOP) and somewhat $75K(if we compare BU vs UOP)?"

but in usc they have to pay for instruments and all oher thing is 13,000 plus in first year and for 2nd year plus so its basically the same so both schools are expensive

According to me , UOP is better option then USC eventhough it is expensive. Because in USC , you will not going to learn anything because they don't have any lectures system. Moreover, USC student spent their time behind their lab work. Because for all clinical case, student have to do wax up in each and every pt.At begining you feel that this school have less fee but you should have to keep in mind that USC student have to purchase instrument and other addition supplies from their Book store. And they guys selling all thing expensivelly compare to outside. So it worth it to spend little more money behind right education institution.

According to me , UOP is better option then USC eventhough it is expensive. Because in USC , you will not going to learn anything because they don't have any lectures system. Moreover, USC student spent their time behind their lab work. Because for all clinical case, student have to do wax up in each and every pt.At begining you feel that this school have less fee but you should have to keep in mind that USC student have to purchase instrument and other addition supplies from their Book store. And they guys selling all thing expensivelly compare to outside. So it worth it to spend little more money behind right education institution.

Absolutely ridiculous. I cannot speak for the international program but at USC you will learn more then you can process. Since when did a "lectures system" become so important? I love a good lecturer, but in undergrad only about 10-15% of them were any good. USC has its problems though (don't all dental schools?) but none of them are too serious, except for the price of tuition. UOP is a great school too. Choosing between the two of them, I would go for whichever is cheaper because they both have their selling points.

something is not that selling point.
i think if you get right path and right education you have to choose that over money.
if you become good dentist then you can make good money after grduate.
if you look carefuly history of uop over usc. then you definatly chosse uop .
best of luck

:thumbup::thumbup::):)
Absolutely ridiculous. I cannot speak for the international program but at USC you will learn more then you can process. Since when did a "lectures system" become so important? I love a good lecturer, but in undergrad only about 10-15% of them were any good. USC has its problems though (don't all dental schools?) but none of them are too serious, except for the price of tuition. UOP is a great school too. Choosing between the two of them, I would go for whichever is cheaper because they both have their selling points.