USC over UOP! Dental Students Please Help!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ndds

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
OK, I am a married woman living in LA and my husband works here and we just bought our place. I got accepted to USC in March and I paid the deposit. At the same time I was on UOP's wait list. This Wednesday UOP called me as well.
UOP has always been my dream school. However, moving to SF would mean renting my place and finding a job for my husband as an aerospace engineer (almost impossible), and ....
It would be more convenient for us to stay in LA. Can you please help me make a decision. I need to know how different of a dentist I will become by choosing USC or UOP.
Is it really worth for me to move to SF and attend UOP? How big is the difference?

Members don't see this ad.

UoP. Make the move. 3 years, slightly cheaper, and a better school in my opinion.

If you have a strong marriage, you can move to SF and he can stay in LA with the job + place. You can alternate driving up/down every other weekend.

OK, I am a married woman living in LA and my husband works here and we just bought our place. I got accepted to USC in March and I paid the deposit. At the same time I was on UOP's wait list. This Wednesday UOP called me as well.
UOP has always been my dream school. However, moving to SF would mean renting my place and finding a job for my husband as an aerospace engineer (almost impossible), and ....
It would be more convenient for us to stay in LA. Can you please help me make a decision. I need to know how different of a dentist I will become by choosing USC or UOP.
Is it really worth for me to move to SF and attend UOP? How big is the difference?

I think saving the train wreck of a headache and the hassle you would both endure having to relocate would be the best option. That's just my opinion. SF is very expensive to live in, the aerospace engineering jobs would be towards silicon valley and San Jose. Moffitt Field Airforce base etc, there's also no guarantee of a job. You just bought a house in LA and you really want to move up here? The schools are basically the same price.. You do however get out a year earlier at UOP.

I need to know how different of a dentist I will become by choosing USC or UOP.

That's up to you to decide, not the school.

Members don't see this ad :)
I have multiple friends that have graduated from UOP and USC, and they all have successful, thriving businesses. Their dental work is great. So I would choose the easier one of the two as far as moving and job change goes.

Thanks a lot guys I think I will choose USC :oops:

In your case, don't worry about which school. Worry about your family life. Stay in LA and enjoy your married life as well as meeting new people at dental school.

I'd vote for LA too. Sounds like your husband has a great job and you guys are happy there. UoP is pretty fast paced which would add more stress to the relocation process. Being happy is the main gig.

Thanks :) I appreciate your great advices and wish you all the best.

I won't lie I have loved USC so far if this helps!!

Here's my point of view from what I heard from some of my friends.

USC is very expensive and costs are rising. The learning environmental and how things are run are somewhat a mess. There are many juniors and Seniors who have a pretty bad experience. The faculty is stretched thin, there is a shortage of patients - a quality patient hard to find(most of them are nuts), there is a big retention and students who don't fulfill their requirements in time. There are several horror stories of USC's dental school system. There is also word that the school may lose its accreditation from the ADA.

UOP is tougher to get into, its expensive but its a 3 year accelerated program. 1 year is pretty much hell since its 2 years of preclinical stuff pressed into 1. You will have little time for anything, but once the 1st year finishes, its more a smooth sailing and becomes like a normal dental school except 1 year less. The school really takes care of you its like a family once you get into that school. Mind you SF is expensive and a crowded place to live. I would advise finding a place close to the school(be hard, but try) and get to the school using a bicycle or walk there. Getting there by car is a hassle, especially when rush hour happens.

My view UOP is the school you should go to.

But considering your situation you may not have a choice but go to USC. (I think if you can get into UCLA, you should try there instead.)

You do realize I go to USC and since 2009 things have changed drastically so don't post stuff from 2009, that's irrelevant! Oh yeah I think I would know I'm a third year!

I only posted the link to the thread for her to see what the other side of the story is, before she makes her full decision. By no means I'm I telling her to not go to USC or to go USC, i posted the thread simply to let her see what has been said.