Dismiss Notice
SDN members see fewer ads and full resolution images. Join our non-profit community!

USC question

Discussion in 'Pre-Medical - MD' started by superdood68, May 4, 2002.

1. superdood68

superdood68 Senior Member

hey guys,

i had a random question. i heard somewhere that usc accepted 207 people this year for
    a class of 160 and waitlisted 100 people. in the waitlist letter, usc said that they took
    a quarter of their class from the waitlist. did usc just accept a lot of people this year?
    or is this normal

2. Thread continues after this sponsor message. SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. Hero

Hero Senior Member

Resident [Any Field]
    superdood68, I can't answer your question specifically for USC but seeing how no one has answered your question..

I keep hearing schools say that they interviewed more than normal and how classes are "uncharacteristically full." Perhaps they are overcompensating for the AMCAS biffup?

4. Kazzar

Kazzar Psychiatrist

Attending Physician
    No those numbers are exactly right. If you look at the MSAR, USC accepted 330 students last year. This year, according to what you said, they have accepted 207 + possibly 40% of 100 waitlisters = 247 students.

The reason they accept so many is that most of the top students in CA who end up at Yale, Harvard, Wash U, apply to USC, get accepted, and eventually turn it down. I wouldn't be surprised if they actually have more than 100 people on the waitlist.

In fact, the letter I got that said I was waitlisted said nothing about 100 people being waitlisted. Somebody just said they heard from the admissions office. But the people in the admissions office, unless its the dean or something, will often say wrong info to get you off their back or that they just dont care.

I think USC accepts more than 40% of their students off their waitlist, if you ask me. Its a nice school, but expensive compared to the UCs and not as prestiguous as other schools with similar tutions. Just my sh*tty two cents.

5. Hero

Hero Senior Member

Resident [Any Field]
    Thanks for that info Kazzar.

I PMed some questions to you, thanks.

6. superdood68

superdood68 Senior Member

haha, thanx a lot kazzar. that info helps a lot. thanx.

dang, i wish i still had my msar... too bad i gave it away =/