*** - USC School of Dentistry - Class of 2012 - ***

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
oops, yeah, baker, sorry!

Members don't see this ad.

So I have another question...do any dental students put together intermural teams or is there not enough time for all that?

So I have another question...do any dental students put together intermural teams or is there not enough time for all that?

I hope so!

Members don't see this ad :)
Anyone planning on traveling from Orange County?

Anyone planning on traveling from Orange County?
Yes, I am , and I know there is another person doing it, and he had a great suggestion, to use meterolink, it is a commuter train line, that goes from OC to Union station in down town LA,,,,,let me know if you need more information ,,,,,

there should be time the first two trimester for all that stuff...I'm a second year, and we just had the hardest trimester in dental school, and I absolutely had no time to do anything...but I know people who still did play basketball, even tho they didn't have time....gotta live a balanced life!

there should be time the first two trimester for all that stuff...I'm a second year, and we just had the hardest trimester in dental school, and I absolutely had no time to do anything...but I know people who still did play basketball, even tho they didn't have time....gotta live a balanced life!

Racquetball seems to be pretty popular in our class too.

Current Students
I just got my student ID number, and I would like to know how to buy season Football tickets. On the USC football website returning students may purchase tickets. Is there some special protocol I must go thought being an entering student?

Thanks,
Hope

Current Students
I just got my student ID number, and I would like to know how to buy season Football tickets. On the USC football website returning students may purchase tickets. Is there some special protocol I must go thought being an entering student?

Thats a good question.

Don't like what I just read on the website:

"A fixed number of seats are being held to accommodate all undergraduate students. Graduate Student orders will be filled as available, after undergraduate students orders are met."

:mad:

A ENTIRE WEEK OF orientation?? What goes on during orientation?? Can't wait to see you all there

Is anyone interested in a roommate? Single Female Dental student looking for a place to live.

Is anyone interested in a roommate? Single Female Dental student looking for a place to live.

There are quite a few poeple on the facebook page currently looking for roomates.

A ENTIRE WEEK OF orientation?? What goes on during orientation?? Can't wait to see you all there

No way, did they shorten your orientation to one week?? Ours was two and it was pure torture. SOOO boring, sooo long, I was drained by the end of those two weeks. Its just lectures and exercises on the PBL process, and I don't really remember what else we did. good luck! just remember, actual dental school is nothing like orientation lol.

Members don't see this ad :)
There are two weeks. I think one is called “orientation,” and the other something like “academic induction week.”

I find it a little ironic that the d-school without lectures has two full weeks of them right off the bat. It would be fun to try leaning about the PBL process through an actual case about PBL. That would be the ultimate test!

Hey
can someone help I have read nothing but negative info about USCSD and it makes me a little nervous do people there hate it that bad. When I went on my interview it didn't seem that way. I was wondering if someone could give me some feed back:oops:

Hey
can someone help I have read nothing but negative info about USCSD and it makes me a little nervous do people there hate it that bad. When I went on my interview it didn't seem that way. I was wondering if someone could give me some feed back:oops:

Well SDN currently isn’t the best place to be looking for positives about USC.

Try PM’ing li1p0ptart and Columbia07. They tend to give more neutral / slightly positive info.

hey y'all,
I just got the acceptance email from USC an hour ago!!!!
:D:D:D:D:D:D

congratulations BiomaxDDS.

I am happy for you! I didn't get mine but I hope i get mine. Do you mind private messaging me with what the email looks like? haha. I just want to know what it looks like if you don't mind. Thanks.

congratulations BiomaxDDS.

I am happy for you! I didn't get mine but I hope i get mine. Do you mind private messaging me with what the email looks like? haha. I just want to know what it looks like if you don't mind. Thanks.

You've got PM

Fight On Trojans! Just got accepted... whoo hoo! Hell yeah!

:banana::banana:Yeeeeeeaaaaaahhhhhh!
I got my acceptance email today too. I am very happy and can't wait to meet you all. :biglove::biglove::biglove:

Congrats to you all! :clap:

Make sure to join the facebook group.

People are discussing housing situations and now there's some football talk!

Hey I got in!!! yay!!! and i'll be joining the facebook group, i need to start worrying about housing too! see you all in the fall!

Hey I got in!!! yay!!! and i'll be joining the facebook group, i need to start worrying about housing too! see you all in the fall!

Welcome aboard Shibaroo :thumbup:

Nope, nothing in my e-mail box. Man... who the hell do I have to sleep with in order to get into dental school?!

Congrats to everyone who got in. :)

Nope, nothing in my e-mail box. Man... who the hell do I have to sleep with in order to get into dental school?!

Congrats to everyone who got in. :)

:laugh::laugh:, only if it was that easy

Congrats to everyone who got in yeah!!!!!!!!:thumbup:
I remember when I got mine and that was a great day.
I cant wait to meet some of you in the FALL

I was reading the terms and condition attachment that came with the email and now i'm really worried that they will take away the acceptance. Instead of taking the courses that was listed under the planned courses for Spring 2008, I took some other courses to be able to finish my masters degree in biology in May. I did graduate this past weekend with masters degree in biology with 3.88. Since in the letter it was stated the rules are strictly enforced, I am really worried now. I just talked to USC admissions, they told me to email them the classes I took instead of the ones that was listed. Did anyone make the same mistake? Did they take away your acceptance due to this reason?
Please help, i'm really really worried right now

1 more thing
I was still taking 6000/8000 level biology classes....just different classes then what was listed on the AADSAS application originally

1 more thing
I was still taking 6000/8000 level biology classes....just different classes then what was listed on the AADSAS application originally

As long as they were upper division bio classes you should be fine, unless you didn't take a required class. look up requirements on usc website and see if you took the ones they want you to take. If the others were electives then you should be fine. If one of the ones you switched out was a required class, perhaps you can take it over the summer or they will waive it for you. I wouldn't stress out just yet

As long as they were upper division bio classes you should be fine, unless you didn't take a required class. look up requirements on usc website and see if you took the ones they want you to take. If the others were electives then you should be fine. If one of the ones you switched out was a required class, perhaps you can take it over the summer or they will waive it for you. I wouldn't stress out just yet

When you said required courses, you meant like general biology, chem, and organic right (thats the only required courses i found on usc website)?
i've finished all the required courses when i was doing my undergrad.
the reason I am so worried is because the email said the rules are stricly enforced.

As you guys know, you will be in groups of 8 students amongst a cell of 24 students. You basically see these 24 people all the freakin time. Sometimes 8AM-Midnight especially your 2nd yr. Groups dynamics and teamwork can determine how smoothly your first 2 years go at SC. That is why you must read Dale Carnegie's "HOW TO WIN FRIENDS AND INFLUENCE PEOPLE".

Also, if you plan on living near campus bring a bike. You're less likely to get mugged if you're riding a bike. I know it sounds strange, but people who walk at night seem to make easy targets. Also make sure to chain your bike seat to the bike. My seat got stolen so now I have to run.

My seat got stolen so now I have to run.

:eek:

Although picturing this seems a little comical. Seeing a USC student in full scrubs sprinting full speed down the street with a laptop bag over his shoulder during the middle of the night.

:eek:

Although picturing this seems a little comical. Seeing a USC student in full scrubs sprinting full speed down the street with a laptop bag over his shoulder during the middle of the night.

Your description is absolutely RIGHT.

It's about 2AM now and I'm at Leavey Library studying for Boards Part I.

Option 1 : This is a 24 hr library so I can sleep here and go back at dawn.

Option 2 : Sleeping on a desk sucks. I'm gonna make an sprint for it.

Lucky me. I got my Adidas on. They'll never catch me.

Haha that's some funny crap... it's true though... I went to undergrad there and a few of my friends got mugged. If you do get mugged, make sure to ask the mugger to spare your cards and just take the cash... hahah good times ahead of us! Whoo hoo! Leavy library is cool to sleep in if you can get a conference room.... but of course a bed is preferable.

As you guys know, you will be in groups of 8 students amongst a cell of 24 students. You basically see these 24 people all the freakin time. Sometimes 8AM-Midnight especially your 2nd yr. Groups dynamics and teamwork can determine how smoothly your first 2 years go at SC. That is why you must read Dale Carnegie's "HOW TO WIN FRIENDS AND INFLUENCE PEOPLE".

Also, if you plan on living near campus bring a bike. You're less likely to get mugged if you're riding a bike. I know it sounds strange, but people who walk at night seem to make easy targets. Also make sure to chain your bike seat to the bike. My seat got stolen so now I have to run.

ROFL Brian. I am one of those people you see all the freakin time. =P Yay for the A-hole!! (ahem, A cell I mean..)

When you said required courses, you meant like general biology, chem, and organic right (thats the only required courses i found on usc website)?
i've finished all the required courses when i was doing my undergrad.
the reason I am so worried is because the email said the rules are stricly enforced.

Yeah...I coulda sworn there were specific ones when I applied but I guess not..or it coulda been another school. It also states, " It is strongly suggested that students take additional upper division courses. Biochemistry, human or comparative anatomy, embryology, histology, genetics, physiology, immunology, pathology, molecular biology, micro-biology, art, sculpting, drawing, and business are examples of recommended courses" BUT you probably weren't able to take ALL of these courses and they know that. As long as you got some of these in you're ok.

Yeah...I coulda sworn there were specific ones when I applied but I guess not..or it coulda been another school. It also states, " It is strongly suggested that students take additional upper division courses. Biochemistry, human or comparative anatomy, embryology, histology, genetics, physiology, immunology, pathology, molecular biology, micro-biology, art, sculpting, drawing, and business are examples of recommended courses" BUT you probably weren't able to take ALL of these courses and they know that. As long as you got some of these in you're ok.

I actually got an email back from USC yesterday, they told me as long as I received my masters degree (which i did) it will be fine =)

I have one more question, is it really necessary to buy a laptop with 17" screen and 512mb video card? It just seem like an overkill to me, not to mention how much its going to weight. I was thinking maybe its because there are certain software that requires a 512mb video card to run??

I actually got an email back from USC yesterday, they told me as long as I received my masters degree (which i did) it will be fine =)

I have one more question, is it really necessary to buy a laptop with 17" screen and 512mb video card? It just seem like an overkill to me, not to mention how much its going to weight. I was thinking maybe its because there are certain software that requires a 512mb video card to run??

No...they dont really give out any software....the only one you might want is VPN which allows you to access usc restricted books/resources as though you were at the campus, but this doesn't need much to run. I have a 17" screen and I love it but some people have those mini laptops and they are fine.

Is anyone else having trouble using the USC ID number to look up there Financial status??????

Is anyone else having trouble using the USC ID number to look up there Financial status??????

Yep... But haven't called down to remedy the situation yet.

yea I can't check it too

hey i'm looking for roommates. is anyone from the bay area?! let's chat! : )

Yep... But haven't called down to remedy the situation yet.
Hey everyone
I got my ID fixed i had to call Jenny Carroll at USC and she fixed for so now it works. Her number is (213) 740-8650 make sure you have your ID number and birth date to give to her so she can fix the problem
FIGHT ON CLASS OF 2012!!!!!!!

where are you looking up your financial aid status?

Hey everyone
I got my ID fixed i had to call Jenny Carroll at USC and she fixed for so now it works. Her number is (213) 740-8650 make sure you have your ID number and birth date to give to her so she can fix the problem
FIGHT ON CLASS OF 2012!!!!!!!

Just gave her a call. Thanks for the help!

I logged in but it does not tell me anything it just says cannot be shown at this time, is this the same for everyone else?

Congrats to all the new acceptances. USC is awesome and you will love it. I am glad to be here in spit of what is frequently said on this site. Thimgs are getting much better and graduation rates are much better this year. Congrats again. Fell free to PM me if you have any questions about the first year or the school in gerneral.