USC School of Pharmacy Class of 2017

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

farmacy2012

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I didn't see a threat for USC (in California) so I thought I should start one. I have submitted both Pharmcas and Supplemental a while back, but have not heard anything yet.

Members don't see this ad.

How hard is it to get into USC ?
I didn't see a threat for USC (in California) so I thought I should start one. I have submitted both Pharmcas and Supplemental a while back, but have not heard anything yet.

Members don't see this ad :)
In addition to USC, the UC schools probably feed into the other CA pharmacy programs

Today I received an emailing saying that my application has been reviewed and I will be notified 2-3 weeks before if chosen for an interview. Did anyone else get an email?

Today I received an emailing saying that my application has been reviewed and I will be notified 2-3 weeks before if chosen for an interview. Did anyone else get an email?
May I ask when you applied?

I am currently in the process of filling out my supplemental for USC. I was wondering if those who already completed your applications let me know what the essential characteristics section is about. Is that another essay?

Thank you!

I submitted Pharmcas on August 15 and USC supplemental on August 29
Thanks! I submitted mine a week before that but havent heard anything yet so hopefully soon. I know they collect applications in tiers and then review all of them at once at the end of each tier. I think one of those tiers is the end of August so we are likely in the same tier. If they then review them alphabetically then that explains it because my last name starts with T. Hope to hear from them soon! Thanks for sharing

I am currently in the process of filling out my supplemental for USC. I was wondering if those who already completed your applications let me know what the essential characteristics section is about. Is that another essay?

Thank you!

I don't think so. There are only 2 essays.

Thanks! I submitted mine a week before that but havent heard anything yet so hopefully soon. I know they collect applications in tiers and then review all of them at once at the end of each tier. I think one of those tiers is the end of August so we are likely in the same tier. If they then review them alphabetically then that explains it because my last name starts with T. Hope to hear from them soon! Thanks for sharing

Good luck to all of us! Hopefully we all get an interview.

I applied and submitted my secondary Aug 30...now I just need PharmCAS to review and submit my primary!

Members don't see this ad :)
Just got my evaluation letter today. :xf: for the october interview. Good luck everyone!

Congratulations! If you don't mind, what were your stats?
3.64 Overall GPA (BSc in Biology)
3.64 Science GPA
1.2 years volunteer experience at free clinic
3.4 years work experience as research associate in lab
other lab experience when I was in college
4 letters of rec: 1 MD (from the clinic) 1 ochem prof, 1 pharmacology PhD, 1 mol bio PhD (the PI at the lab where I work)
I think thats all the pertinent info?

are you supposed to get a confirmation email after you submit your secondary? I never got one so I was kinda freaking out a little, but when I go back in to my application I can't submit it. So it must have been submitted, right? I think I'm just paranoid

check your application and make sure the right email address is in there. if it is, check your junkmail folder and if its there add that email address to your 'safe' list.

are you supposed to get a confirmation email after you submit your secondary? I never got one so I was kinda freaking out a little, but when I go back in to my application I can't submit it. So it must have been submitted, right? I think I'm just paranoid
log into your supplemental and make sure you entered the email address correctly. If it is the correct email, check your junkmail folder and if its in there add that email to your 'safe' list. If you still don't find it, I would call the school. I called them about my application to make sure they received everything and they were very nice.

Don't worry, as long as you're sure you sent it, you should be okay. I didn't get a confirmation e-mail (and many others too - i met other candidates at an interview and they said they didn't get anything either), and I sent in my supp early August. Got a pre-req evaluation email on the 27th so that means they got mine! haha :thumbup:

Does anyone know roughly how long it takes to receive the pre-req evaluation email after submission of the secondary application? (I received my confirmation email early October.)

Does anyone know roughly how long it takes to receive the pre-req evaluation email after submission of the secondary application? (I received my confirmation email early October.)

I just received my pre-req eval...I had submitted the secondary in August but that was way in advance of my PharmCAS getting processed in early October.

got my interview invite via email today!

Jan 26th!

I received my interview invitation through email yesterday as well!

See everyone on 01/26/2013!

I don't think they are rolling in the typical sense; I got an interview invite yesterday evening as well , but I turned in my supplemental 1 hour before it was due!

When did you submit your applications?

I submitted my pharmCAS for USC with my other schools on 09/01/2012 (received 09/15/2012). I didn't submit my supplemental application until 10/19/2012.

I didn't hear from them until my course evaluation letter on 11/12/2012.

Does any current USC pharmacy students have any advice for interview prep? I understand it's finals week but whenever you get the chance to reply, your help will be greatly appreciated!!:)

Does any current USC pharmacy students have any advice for interview prep? I understand it's finals week but whenever you get the chance to reply, your help will be greatly appreciated!!:)

Not much you can do to prep since every interview is different. It really depends on which professor and student you get. Some people end up talking about their past experience the whole interview, while others get grilled on some tough questions. If anything, at least know how to answer:

1) Why did you pick pharmacy as a career?
2) Why do you want to attend USC
3) (worst question) What are your strengths/weaknesses

Those are some common questions that people seem to get. I know I was asked those. I was also asked about what challenges the profession currently has and some challenges to expect in the future. Just be confident, speak clearly, and be calm (hardest part). There will be a lot of current students there to welcome you and talk to you before your interviews and they'll try to answer any questions you have. Good luck!

I'm still waiting for this school. -sighs-
I should have submitted my application early :/

Goodluck guys!

My advice for you is to answer every question straight to the point. Don't try to go around the questions because the students and professors don't like those kind of answers. Be sincere and don't bs your way through the interview. Be yourself and stay calm during the interview. If you have anymore questions, just shoot me a pm. Good luck!

Currently studying at UW-Madison; getting B.S. in genetics in spring

I already have an interview at UW-Madison and Concordia Univ. (WI)

GPA: 3.72
PCAT: composite: 89

3 years research exp in genetics lab
3.5 years ESL tutoring
2nd year as RA in residence hall
1 year volunteering in UW Hospital Pharmacy

I got an email saying they had evaluated my courses, and they didn't take 2 of my UW-Madison classes, so I am taking 2 USC-approved courses in spring. - not sure if this is positive because they evaluated all my courses, or negative...

I'm hoping to get an interview offer for January or Feb - what do you think?

also, if you have any perspective if they are more or less likely to take an out-of-state candidate from UW, I would really appreciate it.

Interview in January 26th!! Ahh so excited!! With a below average GPA and no pharmacy experience, I had my doubts. I've always dreamt of attending USC though, so I figured I had nothing to lose (except money lol) so I'd apply. AND I RECEIVED AN INVITE! Best Christmas present ever! Now I just have to kill this interview!!

Interview in January 26th!! Ahh so excited!! With a below average GPA and no pharmacy experience, I had my doubts. I've always dreamt of attending USC though, so I figured I had nothing to lose (except money lol) so I'd apply. AND I RECEIVED AN INVITE! Best Christmas present ever! Now I just have to kill this interview!!

What was your GPA if you don't mind sharing it?

Not much you can do to prep since every interview is different. It really depends on which professor and student you get. Some people end up talking about their past experience the whole interview, while others get grilled on some tough questions. If anything, at least know how to answer:

1) Why did you pick pharmacy as a career?
2) Why do you want to attend USC
3) (worst question) What are your strengths/weaknesses

Those are some common questions that people seem to get. I know I was asked those. I was also asked about what challenges the profession currently has and some challenges to expect in the future. Just be confident, speak clearly, and be calm (hardest part). There will be a lot of current students there to welcome you and talk to you before your interviews and they'll try to answer any questions you have. Good luck!

Thank you!! Very helpful!

Did they start sending out the Feb interview invites yet??

Sent from my iPhone using SDN Mobile app

did you have all the prereqs done (before you applied) or are you still completing them this year?

I have a couple pre-reqs left (non science)

Hi there! For those that received an interview invitation for January, did you receive any notification about your application being evaluated?

Hi there! For those that received an interview invitation for January, did you receive any notification about your application being evaluated?

Yes, about 3 weeks before the invite.

Does anyone know if USC sends you an e-mail about your application status regardless of whether or not you get invited for an interview? Or do people that don't get invited for interviews just not get e-mails at all?

Does anyone know if USC sends you an e-mail about your application status regardless of whether or not you get invited for an interview? Or do people that don't get invited for interviews just not get e-mails at all?

I was not invited but they contacted me about my status, saying that I needed to submit a few things to become more competitive. Hope that helps.

I'm worried that I haven't received anything yet. I submitted my application on August 8th and was hoping to hear back for at least the January interview :(