USC School of Pharmacy Class of 2017

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I was not invited but they contacted me about my status, saying that I needed to submit a few things to become more competitive. Hope that helps.

Hi. I was wondering if you got notification on your applications being evaluated or they just asked you to submit things?

Thank you.

Members don't see this ad.

Does anyone know if the interview is open or closed file?

Members don't see this ad :)
Hi. I was wondering if you got notification on your applications being evaluated or they just asked you to submit things?

Thank you.

They said my application was being processed and I needed to submit AP scores and official transcripts because I have a lot of outstanding pre-requisites which made me less competitive.

They said my application was being processed and I needed to submit AP scores and official transcripts because I have a lot of outstanding pre-requisites which made me less competitive.

Ah thank you!
About when did you get that your application was being processed?

Ah thank you!
About when did you get that your application was being processed?

In the middle of December. My PharmCAS was submitted close to the deadline, but my supplemental was sent in July.

Wow interesting... I submitted both my supplemental and my Pharmcas in early Oct, and I haven't even gotten an e-mail saying they've started evaluating my application. Anyone else in a similar situation?

Wow interesting... I submitted both my supplemental and my Pharmcas in early Oct, and I haven't even gotten an e-mail saying they've started evaluating my application. Anyone else in a similar situation?

I'm in the same boat too.

I'm in the same boat too.

I thought I was alone in this. I submitted both my applications the same day in early October and only email I got was that they received my supplemental but nothing about the primary (PharmCAS) so I'm wondering if they received it or not. I hope to hear about something soon about something from them.

I submitted mine in early August!! And haven't heard back yet! :(

I thought I was alone in this. I submitted both my applications the same day in early October and only email I got was that they received my supplemental but nothing about the primary (PharmCAS) so I'm wondering if they received it or not. I hope to hear about something soon about something from them.

I also only received an email saying they got my supplemental.

I was wondering if they also send out an acknowledgement email before an evaluation one?

I submitted my supplemental in July and got an e-mail from that. My PharmCAS didn't go through until October and I didn't get any e-mails from USC until the prereq eval letter (in December) which came a few weeks before the interview invitation (in January). So don't be discouraged by the lack of communication.

Members don't see this ad :)
I submitted my supplemental in July and got an e-mail from that. My PharmCAS didn't go through until October and I didn't get any e-mails from USC until the prereq eval letter (in December) which came a few weeks before the interview invitation (in January). So don't be discouraged by the lack of communication.

Ah thank you for the encouragement!
It's a little nerve wrecking that there's no information so far since other schools have sent me emails of what's going on.

Quick question for those who got an interview and those accepted: how many prereqs did you have left?

Quick question for those who got an interview and those accepted: how many prereqs did you have left?

Just have an interview scheduled, but as of Spring...only 1 prereq. In the Fall, I took 2 prereqs.

Same here, except late August x.x I thought I was the only one

I submitted my app around October and I haven't even heard anything yet except the supplemental acknowledgment. I called in today and the lady said that my application came in really late and they are barely doing a preliminary evaluation...

Does anyone know what the format of the writing portion is going to be like for the interview? Is it like some other schools where they throw you a random topic and expect you to write a standard 5 paragraph essay? I heard it changed this year from previous years. Any input would be highly appreciated.

In the previous years they would give you a short article about some health topic. You had some time to read and and take 10 lines of notes, and then you had to write a summary. I am not aware if it has changed this year?? Can anyone comment perhaps from the November interview??

I have 3 prereqs left. All of which i will be taking in this Spring.

Has anyone heard from the first interview cycle whether they were accepted?

I just received my evaluation after like 5 months and it contained so many errors :/

I just received my evaluation after like 5 months and it contained so many errors :/

Is this the first time you've heard back from time after getting a confirmation for the supplemental?

Is this the first time you've heard back from time after getting a confirmation for the supplemental?

Yup, it is the first time. I already graduated with a BS and fulfilled all the requirements(as far as I know of according to their course equivalencies). The evaluation contained 5 missing classes and no Bachelors confirmation :/

Hello! :) I was just wondering, does USC send a course evaluation email to everyone who has submitted an application?

looks like their taking their sweet time going through these apps.:laugh:

to those who were at the interview yesterday, how do you think you did? Was it hard?

to those who were at the interview yesterday, how do you think you did? Was it hard?

It wasn't hard, but it is open file--my interviewers didn't ask me any questions about my academics but they did pull questions out of my personal statement. I think it went well but my interviewers were harder to read in terms whether I was doing well or not. The essay required more thought than other schools but it is still opinion based.

I think it went ok. But my interviewer spent half of the time on one question.

After the interview, do they look at the ENTIRE application again (i.e., GPAs, personal statement, references, supplemental, interview, handwritten essay, etc.), or do they make their decisions from that point on solely on the interview and handwritten essay?

I think my interview went okay, but I don't think it was amazing. My interviewers were nice, but also hard to read (I'm seeing a trend with this), and I probably didn't fully explain some answers. I'm hoping that if I received average scores on the face-to-face interview, but they really like the rest of my application, I still have a shot. idk :scared:

I'm just wondering if they are sending invites for February interview...Has anyone heard something from them??

I'm just wondering if they are sending invites for February interview...Has anyone heard something from them??

:( nope. I haven't gotten an evaluation letter either yet.

I heard from someone that usc mainly looks at GPA. Is this true? How much do they weigh the interview and written portion?

Obviously I am not part of the adcom but I've heard from multiple people that this is the case so I think it's true. Plus if you talk to some of the students you'll realize that their interpersonal skills aren't that great so I would think that the interview isn't as important, although they say it is.

A pharmacist that graduated from USC told me that she thinks admissions is 95% grades/activities and 5% interview.

That's interesting. But then it makes me wonder why people who have a high gpa get put on active consideration if its 95% grades/activities. You would think they would get accepted right away. I guess the interview does hold some considerable weight.
I'm curious, to those that have interviewed, how did you feel the written portion was like? I talked to a friend who interviewed in October and she felt very good about the interview but very scared about the written portion. She said she was writing really fast and wasn't sure if her train of thought was correct. She was also worried about the legibility of her handwriting. Does handwriting ability count? I wonder what her chances are..Anyone from the October or January interview care to chime in?

That's interesting. But then it makes me wonder why people who have a high gpa get put on active consideration if its 95% grades/activities. You would think they would get accepted right away. I guess the interview does hold some considerable weight.
I'm curious, to those that have interviewed, how did you feel the written portion was like? I talked to a friend who interviewed in October and she felt very good about the interview but very scared about the written portion. She said she was writing really fast and wasn't sure if her train of thought was correct. She was also worried about the legibility of her handwriting. Does handwriting ability count? I wonder what her chances are..Anyone from the October or January interview care to chime in?
wow 95% does seem like a lot. I was thinking more like 75%, but as long as the interview isn't the only factor, I'm happy. I know for a fact that there is interview bias at USC (some interviewers give much higher or lower scores than others), and it would be a shame if admissions didn't put that into consideration. I think this is the reason UCSF switched to MMI this year. Maybe this is something USC could consider in the future?

The written portion was tough. It's not a summary like it used to be, but a full-on essay asking your opinion about a certain topic, with supporting details grounded in the given article. I think they just want to see if you can organize your thoughts in a cohesive manner (like high school English: thesis, body paragraphs, etc.). Personally, I thought it was difficult to do even that given the subject. Afterwards, they send the essays to professional graders through the university who score your essay. I'm not sure if handwriting counts, but I'm leaning towards no, as long as it's legible.

from last year's thread, it looks like only 15 people got accepted after the first round of interviews...that makes me nervous

I had this January interview and did feel the writing portion was kind of hard and not because we had to write a full on essay, but just the topic was difficult. I only wrote one page and hopefully it's not too bad. I felt pretty good about the interview though. Fingers crossed for all of us I guess..will be the longest 2-3 weeks ever!

I just got an e-mail stating they've checked my pre-req's.

Bunch of N/A's

I just got an e-mail stating they've checked my pre-req's.

Bunch of N/A's

N/A is not applicable. I got 5 NO's where it supposed to say YES o.o I've finished all my pre-reqs and its the right classes too according to their course equivalencies.

I haven't heard anything else beside that. I'm hoping to get interviewed this Feb. Ughh

Edit: I just got my official evaluation and I have everything o.o Fingers crossed for Feb interview GAHHHHHHHHHHH

Last edited:
Has anyone else heard back from USC yet?

anyone can please talk about how to dress appropriately for the interview?? i ve heard so many different sayings and am so confused...:(

wear a suit -- i wore a black blazer, black pants, white shirt, 3 inch heels. do your best to look as professional as possible!

Hi everyone, I kind of new to this site, but I am very glad that I find it. It is always nice to see other people that are in the same shoe as you are.

For those who had the interview on 1/26/2013. Does any one remember the name of the guy who gave us the speech for us in the welcome session?

Same here! Mine is at 8:45am though. I'm so glad to finally hear back :)!

Im getting anxious! What time did you guys get it? :/

Im prolly not part of this Feb interview z z. Z z zz. Zzz

Im getting anxious! What time did you guys get it? :/

Im prolly not part of this Feb interview z z. Z z zz. Zzz

My email is weird in which it says I got it at 2:39pm but when I open it, it says it was sent at around 9am today.

Don't worry if you're not part of the Feb interview, there is another one after.