USC (Southern California) acceptees

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

WaitingImpatiently

Long Member
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
How long after your interview were you notified of the good news? Also, how did you hear? Phone call? E-mail? Snail mail?

Thanks

Members don't see this ad.

I don't think there are many of us on the board...or elsewhere for that matter. USC is mostly non-rolling and, from what they've told me, have only made a few "exceptions".

I interviewed Nov. 9 and got the "good news" Dec. 12. They notify you with a big white envelope. Feel free to ask any more questions and I'll try to help out. Good luck, and take care.

How long after completing your file were you interviewed?

Members don't see this ad :)
Darwin

Right now, I'm crazy abotu USC. I've thought about the school every day since I interviewed (almost 4 weeks ago), and I've been hoping, wishing, praying to be one of those "exceptions" you mentioned. I really don't know if I can wait until April.

Question: before you were accepted, did you consider yourself to be an extraordinary candidate? Or did the acceptance come as a surprise to you?

Thanks

I don't know what's going with USC and my application but I haven't even received any interview invitation nor rejection letter yet.
I wish they would get it over with. Quick and painless

I turned in my secondary in Nov, and interviewed in mid January. I had, what I thought, was the worst interview of my life at USC and came home in tears expecting a rejection. But, to my complete surprise, this Thursday, I got an acceptance (my first!)in the form of a large envelope--the last thing I ever expected. So, I heard back a little less than 4 weeks after my interview. Hope you hear soon as well, it's a great school. Good luck! :)

Congratulations SOSC2002!!! I think you're the second SDNer to get an acceptance. Is SC your number one choice?

Waiting Impatiently,

I never considered myself to be an extraordinary candidate...but the admissions office told me that they are, in fact, non-rolling but had decided to accept a few "exceptional" candidates. Yes, it took me by surprise to say the least. It's really wierd how this process works. I mean, SC thinks I'm an "exeptional" candidate and extends me an early acceptance, but six other schools have deemed me no more worthy than their waitlist. I have had 12 interview offers, declined three and have one more to go. The only other school to accept me is Georgetown...needless to say, I am beside myself to be so lucky to hold two acceptances. But you see, as one school (like SC) might see you as an "exceptional" candidate, another (like Yale...ahhhh, where are they???) won't even give you an interview. Quite a boggling process.

I am a semi non-trad (25) and will be finishing my MS this year. I have less than a 3.6 undergrad (slightly) and a 34 MCAT, very non-traditional volunteer activities and only about 250-300 hours in the hospital setting. Whatever it was that SC liked, I'm glad I did it...but I'm not sure exactly what it was that got me in. Feel free to ask any more questions and I'll try my best to help out. Good luck, and take care.

altaskier - sorry, forgot to respond in my previous post. I think I was complete for about 3-4 weeks before my interview offer.

Thanks Darwin

Darwin

"I have less than a 3.6 undergrad (slightly) and a 34 MCAT, very non-traditional volunteer activities and only about 250-300 hours in the hospital setting."

I have the same MCAT, a slightly higher GPA, and I'm "non-traditional" in the sense that I'm taking 1 year off. But you beat me in the # of hours in the hospital setting. I have, however, done some intersting research and learned quite a bit from it. Also, I think my faculty interview went quite well, though my student interview was nothing special (not very good, not very bad-- almost a textbook interview, a Q&A session).

I was wondering, though, if your interviewer(s) gave you any indication that the school would think highly of you. My faculty interviewer complimented me on several occasions, but something about the way he said what he did makes me wonder if he was being sincere or not. What if he says that to all his interviewees? I'm being paranoid, I know, but as I said, I am obsessing about this school.

What surprised me, though, was that I got an interview at all. In fact, I received an invitation for an interview only 3 weeks after sending in my secondary just after Thanksgiving. My answers to the secondary questions, I felt, were bad, terrible even, and while I did get the interview, I'm afraid that those answers might come back to haunt me now that my hopes are so very high.

Also, do you know if the faculty interview at USC is weighted much more than the student one? I was told by a UCLA med student (who interviews applicants) that student interviews there are just as important as the faculty ones.

Neither of my interviewers gave me any impression of what they thought of me. In fact, my faculty interviewer had a wierd way of interviewing. When I went into his office he simply told me that "this will not be a standard interview format" and that there would be no questions from him during the session. Rather, he wanted me to take as much time as possible telling about myself and "selling" myself to him. "The conversation will just flow from there", he said. He was right...never really asked any questions other than to clarify what I had said. We shook hands and I left.

The student interviewer was a bit different. Mostly just random conversation for about 45 minutes and then at the end he said, "OH wait...I need to ask you these questions". Then he went down the list...sort of "yada yada yada" fashion. It was a great conversation and he was a really cool guy...but again, no feedback.

I really have no idea if one is weighted more than the other. I think I wrote some pretty good answers to the questions, but again I don't know if that comes into play post-inverview. Nevertheless, I wouldn't worry about it at all. Over 50% of those interviewed are offered acceptances, and since they are "non-rolling" I would say that 90% of their class isn't filled until April. So even if you get a "hold" or "waitlist" or nothing at all until then, you still have a REALLY good shot at getting in.

On a side note, maybe you can help me with something. I am really hesitant about living in the area and affording some of the "safer" areas. What was your impression about the housing situation? Did you ask? I know most of the students live in South Pas. or Alhambra but I'm not sure if these areas are safe and affordable on the Fin. Aid. budget. Thanks for your help.

•••quote:•••Originally posted by Darwin:
•Neither of my interviewers gave me any impression of what they thought of me. In fact, my faculty interviewer had a wierd way of interviewing. When I went into his office he simply told me that "this will not be a standard interview format" and that there would be no questions from him during the session. Rather, he wanted me to take as much time as possible telling about myself and "selling" myself to him. "The conversation will just flow from there", he said. He was right...never really asked any questions other than to clarify what I had said. We shook hands and I left.

The student interviewer was a bit different. Mostly just random conversation for about 45 minutes and then at the end he said, "OH wait...I need to ask you these questions". Then he went down the list...sort of "yada yada yada" fashion. It was a great conversation and he was a really cool guy...but again, no feedback.

I really have no idea if one is weighted more than the other. I think I wrote some pretty good answers to the questions, but again I don't know if that comes into play post-inverview. Nevertheless, I wouldn't worry about it at all. Over 50% of those interviewed are offered acceptances, and since they are "non-rolling" I would say that 90% of their class isn't filled until April. So even if you get a "hold" or "waitlist" or nothing at all until then, you still have a REALLY good shot at getting in.

On a side note, maybe you can help me with something. I am really hesitant about living in the area and affording some of the "safer" areas. What was your impression about the housing situation? Did you ask? I know most of the students live in South Pas. or Alhambra but I'm not sure if these areas are safe and affordable on the Fin. Aid. budget. Thanks for your help.•••••I think you have nothing to worry by living in the USC area; afterall, are you going to be afraid of your patient-population? I don't mean to be blunt, but it sometimes upsets me how students are very concerned by the "safeness" of the school's surroundings: The people you'll be treating at their teaching hospital and clinics will be those that live in the area. You'll have to feel comfortable and compassionate toward these individuals, to the point that you wouldn't mind being their nieghbors. I know the nieghborhood personally, and the majority of the people are hardworking Mexicans, who are very friendly.

I agree with my homie, jmejia...besides the occasional drive-bys...it really is a NICE AREA :wink: , just kidding!!

Jmejia1 -

I totally understand your point...but I can't help but be realistic about the situation. It would not not only be a privelege but an honor to treat the diverse patient population of LA county. However, I also don't want to enter medical school worrying about my apt. being broken into, or my car getting stolen. As if there's not enough to worry about in medical school...these things just add stress to the whole situation. I don't think any student should be asked to put up with any types of crime against them, regardless of what type of patient population they serve.

Let's say you and your sig. other, wife, mother or even you alone goes to SC. You're house gets broken into. Your car gets stolen (I've heard from a lot of SC undergrads that they've had either things stolen from their car, or the actual car taken). Or even worse, a crime is committed against your person or your wife's. Are you supposed to justify this by saying "Oh well, this is the patient population I serve and I just have to accept it." As an intelligent person you should do everything within your means to stay away from such crime ridden areas. I mean come on, who doesn't want to live in a "safe" area? I'm not going to throw myself in a lions den just because I'm a vet and treat lions...get my point? I'm just trying to see if anyone who has lived around county has found some of the "safer" areas affordable given the limited amount of aid.

Darwin

I'm going to have to agree with jmejia on this one. The student that took us on our tour made a passing comment about how a lot of the med students want to live in safer/nicer areas than the immediate surroundings, and while I do understand why they feel that way, I took it sort as an insult-- I grew up in an area similar to the one around campus, just a few miles away. Safety might be an issue for some (there IS some crime), but if you're smart about it, you'll be fine. No need to be worried or anything.

I actually don't know much about S. Pasadena, but I do believe that it's a pretty nice area. Maybe I'm thinking of something else. Alhambra, though, is just a so-so place. Nothing special about it, except perhaps that 50% of the inhabitants are Chinese and the other 50% are Latinos (not a perfect ratio, but pretty close). Cost of living should be middle-of-the-road (for SoCal), I think, about $1K or less for a 2 or 3 bedroom apt.

Thanks for your replies. I too think that whatever the tour guide mentioned was probably out of line if you were insulted by it. I in no way wish to generalize about any races etc. surrounding the community. I would be just as concerned if Bel-Air had a high crime rate. East LA has A LOT of crime for a number of reasons. That's just a fact. Am I supposed to halt an intruder and explain to him/her that I am a medical student treating the surrounding population, shake hands and see them to the door? The fact is crime does occur at a higher rate in the area, and regardless of my intentions or how I feel about treating the local population, those who commit crimes don't care - Part of the reason I think SC looked highly on my application is because I have done a lot of volunteer work with both children and adults within underserved populations of LA county - and I throughly LOVED it all. My concerns, again, are not against any of the people and I would love to treat them. Rather, my concern is about the crime specifically in the area and whether or not a student living around county is actually safe.

Although I understand both sides, I agree with you Darwin. As medical students we are going to have to worry about so many things...school, money, etc. and I don't think that safety should have to be one of those things. My uncle went to USC for med school and he ended up living in S. Pas the whole time and I don't think that took anything away from his doctoring skills at all.

I wouldn't worry too much about the crime in East LA. I went to USC and most of the crime is petty theft, or at worst they jack something in your car. Yeah, a few of my buddies lost some CD players or cell phones, or some were forced to fork over cash at knife point, but it really isn't that big. Either travel with a buddy at night, bring pepper spray, or just remember to lock your car doors -- its just common sense. Also I thknk there was a LA Times article on the subject of east LA crime a couple a days ago. Hey, and you can't beat the taco and mango vendors on the street, perfect for a quick bite.

Later.

and besides, you can find almost anything for a cheap price around that area... think my friend bought his car stereo around the east los area :wink:

Darwin:

what were the non-traditionaly volunteer activities that you mentioned? also, for hospital work, did the adcom mention anything about your 300 hrs (i.e. good job, didn't notice, etc.)? so do you present your 300 hrs as 300 hr total or 3hr/wk for 100 wks?

Dr. Don - you know, it took me reading about 3 of your posts before I started cracking up...wasn't sure at first. Very funny stuff.

Meddude03 -

I just listed hospital hours as hrs/week for x amount of months on the primary. They never even mentioned anything about it. In terms of "non-traditional" volunteer activites I was referring to more "non-medically" related I guess...poor choice of wording. For what it's worth, I was a survivalist backpacking counselor, member of an organization that painted homes for people in underserved areas, volunteer at local veterans of foreign war post, founder of fundraising organization for ALS, peer/youth speaker on issues such as substance abuse and sex for high school students in LA district schools and local colleges...things like that. Nothing really "medically" related...not sure if it's really "non-traditional" or not (I was just assuming most people do hospital work/ambulance stuff as their major volunteer activities). Hope this helps. Take care.