USC (Southern California) - IM

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

MedApps

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am fairly new to this forum, I appreciate in advance any help that can be provided. I have searched old threads regarding Southern California Programs, mainly USC. It seems that most of the information is old - hopefully we can get updates on this thread. It seems as if it has become increasingly competitive - when I called their interview slots are practically full. I know they have a new hospital, they got rid of their Q4 call system for medicine, now buy MKSAP 15 for all their R2/R3's, etc. These are just a few things I have heard from people who are there now. A friend also told me that their last graduating class has a match rate for fellowship near 90% (somewhere about 30 our of 34 or 35 who applied matched!).

Can anyone shine some light on this program for me from their experiences, friends there, or what they have heard. I want to stay in so cal and this is one of my top choices.

Thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

i am fairly new to this forum, i appreciate in advance any help that can be provided. I have searched old threads regarding southern california programs, mainly usc. It seems that most of the information is old - hopefully we can get updates on this thread. It seems as if it has become increasingly competitive - when i called their interview slots are practically full. I know they have a new hospital, they got rid of their q4 call system for medicine, now buy mksap 15 for all their r2/r3's, etc. These are just a few things i have heard from people who are there now. A friend also told me that their last graduating class has a match rate for fellowship near 90% (somewhere about 30 our of 34 or 35 who applied matched!).

Can anyone shine some light on this program for me from their experiences, friends there, or what they have heard. I want to stay in so cal and this is one of my top choices.

Thanks.

bump!

Members don't see this ad :)
1) A lot of social work and scut work
2) Residents don't get experience running codes on the floor because the EM residents do all of them (the EM department at LAC/USC is very powerful)
3) Residents don't get to decide what patients to admit (the ED does)
4) Nurses and ancillary staff are the worst- they are unionized county employees (impossible to fire) so the vast majority of them are lazy and many are rude, and they take pride in sticking it to the MDs because they can. Year after year residents state that the ancillary staff is the worst aspect of the residency program but nothing will ever change.
5) USC medical students avoid the IM program like the plague, and most that stick around either couldn't match anywhere else or they were enticed with the promise of a competitive fellowship (nepotism at USC is huge). Also, USC students who stick around for LAC/USC IM residency get an extra 1500 dollars per year.
6) Last year only 80% of IM graduates passed the IM boards
7) The charting system(s) are garbage
8) Most of the attendings are straight out of residency (inexperienced but tend to be very laid back)
9) The IM department gets very little respect from the other departments at LAC/USC ("...but at least the Med/Peds residents are smart" -Urology resident)

On the plus side of things, you get to see a bunch of interesting and rare cases.

2) Residents don't get experience running codes on the floor because the EM residents do all of them (the EM department at LAC/USC is very powerful)
4) Nurses and ancillary staff are the worst- they are unionized county employees (impossible to fire) so the vast majority of them are lazy and many are rude, and they take pride in sticking it to the MDs because they can. Year after year residents state that the ancillary staff is the worst aspect of the residency program but nothing will ever change.
5) USC medical students avoid the IM program like the plague, and most that stick around either couldn't match anywhere else or they were enticed with the promise of a competitive fellowship (nepotism at USC is huge). Also, USC students who stick around for LAC/USC IM residency get an extra 1500 dollars per year.
8) Most of the attendings are straight out of residency (inexperienced but tend to be very laid back)
9) The IM department gets very little respect from the other departments at LAC/USC ("...but at least the Med/Peds residents are smart" -Urology resident)

On the plus side of things, you get to see a bunch of interesting and rare cases.

how reliable is this information? were you in the program or is close to someone who is?

meh if all of this is true i'm even considering canceling my USC interview -___-;;

I think as a point of context, that the culture for MANY medical students on southern california is one that internal med is not looked at very highly, nor seen as a promising career pathway in general. I remember telling people I wanted to do internal med, only to have someone say, "sorry step 1 was so low," :eek: My step one was great, not derm or plastic surgery good, but it wouldn't not have been a limiting factor for any other specialty . . . so . . . what I'm saying is that when it comes to IM southern california medical students tend to be little, elitist, prick, snobs about it . . . no wonder they are not interested in sticking around LA county and working their ass off.

Not being able to run a code. That is odd, and I'm having some doubts about it, and IF true needs to be addressed by the department of medicine - bring it up at interview time - you NEED to leave residency knowing how to run a medicine code. A county hospital is a county hospital is a county hospital . . . ancillary staff and nurses will always be a problem . . . social issues will always be a problem . . . getting people meds and getting them to stay on meds will always be a problem. I'd like to point out that we do not criticize UTSWern in such a fashion . . . The trade off is that you get to see some of the craziest and most diverse pathology anywhere in the country - LITERALLY. LA is such a world-wide crossroads these days you will see tropical disease and other things most residents at most other programs can only read about. I'd put some money on LA County seeing the most rare and interesting stuff anywhere in the country initially.

I doubt that medicine residents get to block an admit from the ED anywhere in the country. When the ED calls, you just go and admit the little non-cardiac chest pain that they are too much of a ***** to send home. This is life. But then, look at it from their perspective, now it's YOUR license, not theirs on the line. Win-win. Don't hate, accept reality. Or perhaps try and match into ED. After you've spend a month with those guys in the ED, you do realize how much bull**** they do actually send home. Context . . .

Boards Pass rate is on YOU. I think it's unfortunate that's somehow a reported marker. Don't expect to be spoon fed if you want to be a physician. You're only going to be as good as you make yourself be.

Finally, I think anyone who is interested in going to the great state of california and living in the best part of it down south who gets an interview invite to USC, should check it out. It may not be for everybody, but I think it's a solid program, and no, I am not a resident there.

I did not interview @ USC (you couldn't pay me enough to live in SoCal), but as jdh points out, if you want to see some crazy shiz and do a ton, a place like USC-LAC is hard to beat (others like it include NYU-Bellevue, Downstate-Kings County, Emory, UTSW-Parkland). You get people who are super sick by the time they arrive, people who walk off the plane from somewhere in Africa, South or SE Asia or the Middle East and head straight to the ED. I had enough of that experience in med school (at one of the places I mentioned above) and wasn't interested in it for residency, but it's hard to argue with it as a good learning experience.

I doubt that medicine residents get to block an admit from the ED anywhere in the country. When the ED calls, you just go and admit the little non-cardiac chest pain that they are too much of a ***** to send home. This is life. But then, look at it from their perspective, now it's YOUR license, not theirs on the line. Win-win. Don't hate, accept reality. Or perhaps try and match into ED. After you've spend a month with those guys in the ED, you do realize how much bull**** they do actually send home. Context . . .

It took me awhile to realize that if you just go and do the BS admit, it takes less time and psychic energy than it does trying to argue with the ED. Besides, if you're going to refuse an admit, you need to go evaluate the patient, and at that point, just get their med list, take a social history, listen to their pan-positive ROS and you're basically done. Even now, when I actually can refuse to admit a patient, I never do...not worth either the trouble or the risk that you're wrong. And it's absolutely true that they send a lot of somewhat sick people home that you never see.

So, just to add to the debate. I did an IM rotation as a visiting student last month at USC. I've worked at several other institutes on the west coast over the past 4 months, so I feel like I can compare USC to a lot of places. And as I walk down the list mentioned above, I find just about all of it to be true - except for a one or two exceptions:

1. There is TONS of social work. I feel like 50-60% of my day is filled with "facilitating medicine" - not actually learning or thinking, but making sure stuff gets done. And yeah, I know this is one aspect of what residency is - but there is no way it's the residents responsibility to personally fax the orders to the pharmacy to get IV meds started STAT on a woman in HTN emergency - while also trying to talk to the family and transfer the patient to the unit. This has to be done because... #4 of above is very true!
2. true. Very unfortunate, but true
3. Also true, but to their benefit, I've rarely seen a soft admit. Most people who make it up to the floor really do need medical care. And I personally agree with gutonc on this one. Why fight it?
4. See #1
5. Though this used to be true...I worked with a USC grad, who is quite possibly one of the strongest interns I've ever worked with. She's great! And according to her, more and more USC grads are planning on sticking around.
6. Also true. When I asked around about why, no one can really give me a straight forward answer.
7. Holy S&$%t does the charting system suck! Most services will drop electronic notes, while others still write hand notes. Trying to figure out which does which, and when is impossibl. Especially when you're waiting for a surgery team to drop a note to say it's ok to dc a patient, so you anxiously sit by the computer waiting for their note to appear - when you find out 3 hours later, that they decided to HAND WRITE their note on this occassion.
8. This is true - but to their benefit, they're all very nice, and much less intimidating. You sorta feel like you're just chatting about medicine on rounds. Good and bad, I guess?
9. Not sure about this, as I've rarely interacted with anyone else

Overall, USC does offer great pathology - but it comes at a serious expense and some garuanteed frustration. Almost all the residents will admit that they do too much scut/social work, and that their last board scores were atrocious...but they also seem to take a lot of pride in being USC/LAC. One thing is for sure, tt's not a place for the meek.

Seems to me that no one should talk unless they give the real facts. Wannabemd - you are just that. Perhaps you are 4th year student unhappy because you did not get that Honors or High pass on your rotation and feel the need to lash out. In any case, one should be fair when giving an opinion and provide all the facts.

I have personal experience at USC and completed my residency there. Some of the things you have stated may have been the case 5-8 years ago, not now. Here is the real deal:

1) Social Work and Scut Work - You do as much social work or scut work as you want to do. Every ward has social workers who do their job. Remember, you are dealing with the underpriveleged and indigent - and it sometimes takes an extra day to get placement on discharged. You DO NOT do blood draws, fax paperwork to the lab, etc etc. That is all nonsense. In fact, if you are a good communicator and discharge planner you are efficient in dealing with the other ancillary services and get your job done quickly! Your job as a physician? You write the orders, care for your patient, and follow on studies - LIKE ANY OTHER HOSPITAL. Flabs, as a student rotating on medicine, perhaps you had the unfortunate job of doing most of the social issues on your team?

2) Codes: The ER GETS THERE LAST!!!! When a code is called the medicine residents are there FIRST! By the time the ED resident arrives it is only for backup and to intubate the patients. The IM residents do not intubate any patients on the floor. The codes, however, are run by the resident who is there first, or the primary team if they arrive during the code. Everything is already running by the time the ED resident arrives!! If anything, you get a great deal of experience with codes!

3) IM Admissions - this is true, the ED decides who to admit. This is a blessing - this is a MAJOR county facility. Med Consult would need to be a team of residents posted in the ED 24 hours a day to run this job. The USC ED alone has over 120 BEDS!!!!! It is almost a favor that they triage and admit those who need to be admitted!!!!

4) Nurses and ancillary staff - this, as with any institution, is hit and miss. There are amazing nurses and lazy ones. Simply put, its again a matter of how you deal with people. The nurses (and this is not just at USC) can be offended or angry when you treat them like second class citizens. If you are polite and show appreciation for the hard work and care they are providing the patient, you will get results. It is not fair to stereotype as "county" workers.

5) USC Medical students staying on for IM - 20% of the current intern class is from USC. MANY have Step scores of 99/99 (245+). The above information is incorrect. In fact, from what I heard, even more are likely to remain this year.

6) Board Pass Rate - USC is serious about the boards. They purchase every single resident MKSAP 15 complete and provide a comprehensive and intensive in-house board review. Perhaps wannabemd misunderstood about pass rate - I heard several residents did not take their exam last year for varying reasons, what does that have to do with pass rate? In fact, the graduating class you are speaking of had around a 90% fellowship match rate.

7) Charting system at USC - all electronic including consult notes with access from practically any computer in the hospital. All medical records are viewable electronically, every computer has amazing access to information including uptodate (on every system). Radiology can be viewed on any computer as well....if anything, the system make your life very easy.

8) Attendings - there are both young and seasoned attendings. There are many world class attendings in the specialites - look up the names Rahimtoola, Kaplowitz, Laine, Heinz, LoPresti, or Om Sharma to name a FEW off the top of my head. In medicine, its a 50/50 split and the young ones are not only approachable and laid back on rounds but work hard/are active at teaching.

9) IM Department Respect - I don't know where that comes from except for the usual issues any hospital has with certain services (do I really have to name the specialty, we all know who I am talking about).

Look, I have nothing to gain from this considering I am already a graduate and am not doing any subspecialty training at USC. Simply put - the program that is at USC now is NOT what was even 5 years ago. There is an amazing new facility, NO MORE overnight call on medicine with a night float system, comeraderie among the housestaff and WORLD CLASS cases. I am so thankful to have had the training experience I did - I can walk into any situation now and know it won't be a problem for me to handle. I hope others who have had first hand experience at USC can give their input - if you disagree with what I am saying please state your opinion, but if you agree please set the record straight.

I got an invite from USC. I applied there after talking to some friends who said that the pathology they see is really good. LA is one of the major cities in the world and it is so diverse that you are bound to see some really good stuff while training.

I got an invite from USC. I applied there after talking to some friends who said that the pathology they see is really good. LA is one of the major cities in the world and it is so diverse that you are bound to see some really good stuff while training.

i don't think anyone here is arguing they don't have good pathology, not even the posts bashing USC.