jst1993

7+ Year Member
Apr 27, 2011
Status
I have until May 1st to decide which pre-med program I want to be a part of.
So I am just going to list pros and cons for each one. I was wondering on your guys advice as to which is the best pre-med program for me. Also, my financial aid offer at each school would make me pay the same net amount. However, I prefer the LA area and So CAL as opposed to Norcal. My major is neuroscience and I'm pretty interested in getting a minor in business or philosophy.
UCLA Pros:
Prestige
research opps/internships
Academics(A- on college prowler)
food
more renowned professors
hospital on campus
higher ranking science departments (also higher ranking neurosci program)
UCLA Cons:
20:1 student-to-faculty ratio
Budget Cuts
dorms
Academically Cutthroat?
USC Pros:
9:1 Student-faculty ratio
Private education
Academics (A on college prowler)
marshall school of business, so I could possibly double major in business administration
Trojan Network
Keck School of medicine prefers USC kids? (not sure on this one)
Freshman Science Honors Program
dorms
Cons: location (South Central)
aesthetically unsatisfactory buildings
not as prestigious as ucla/ucb
Could get a minor in the Marshall School of Business
Cal:
Pros: Most Prestige
best academically ranked
most renowned faculty(with x amount of nobel laureates)
Cons: location(far from family etc)
academically cutthroat from what I've heard
dorms

Mar 29, 2011
Status
MD/PhD Student
I think the obvious choice is UCLA; that's what I would pick. Cal is associated with a number of Nobel laureates, but most of those are in Chemistry and Physics. Cal's engineering and chemistry departments are among the best in the country, but I don't think its biology departments are perceptibly better than UCLA's. UCLA has the massive benefit (IMO) of having its own hospital, where you can volunteer and do research as a premed. Berkeley has UCSF, but that's still ~45 minutes away (BART + shuttle bus ride). I think as a med school applicant, there is no real difference in prestige between Cal and UCLA. I don't think USC has the academic reputation of either UC school and is much more expensive, to boot.

UCLA is close to home, near the beach, and has awesome weather and a lovely campus. And Westwood is a nice area with lots of entertainment options. Good luck with your decision :)

frescoengano

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Jul 3, 2007
NorCal
Status
Pre-Medical
ucla: cheaper, better weather, plenty of pre-med opportunities, not in the ghetto, awesome dining hall

CoolWhipp

7+ Year Member
Jun 10, 2009
Status
Medical Student
USC, if you can. The classes will be easier, and you will be able to get the ones you want. Alumni connection if you opt out of medical school. Less effected by budget cuts. Good football. Good girls. Good football.

I'm biased, I would love to be a USC alumnus.

2050vlsb

bleed blue and gold
Jun 6, 2010
Status
Medical Student
Of the three, I think it's only really a competition between Cal and UCLA. While (full disclosure) I am a proud UC grad, I think spending $40K a year on undergrad when you have cheaper and better alternatives is definitely something you want to avoid.

Between UCLA and Cal, I'd say it really comes down to where you'll be most comfortable. They're both similarly ranked and both really excellent schools that will provide you with an excellent education. While UCLA has its own medical school, the Bay Area has an amazing amount of hospitals and clinical sites, including both UCSF and Stanford, where you can do research and shadow. Berkeley's biology programs are excellent, but there's definitely more of an emphasis on biology at UCLA .. e.g. Berkeley has two majors in biology (three, if you count public health), while UCLA has far more.

CoolWhipp

7+ Year Member
Jun 10, 2009
Status
Medical Student
It should be noted that a large population of USC students do not pay full tuition. Many competitive students end up paying close to the same amounts as the UC kids.

CoolWhipp

7+ Year Member
Jun 10, 2009
Status
Medical Student
...Berkeley's biology programs are excellent, but there's definitely more of an emphasis on biology at UCLA .. e.g. Berkeley has two majors in biology (three, if you count public health), while UCLA has far more.
Public health is not biology.

munchymanRX

Purveyor of Fine Nomz
10+ Year Member
Feb 9, 2009
Status
Medical Student
I have until May 1st to decide which pre-med program I want to be a part of.
So I am just going to list pros and cons for each one. I was wondering on your guys advice as to which is the best pre-med program for me. Also, my financial aid offer at each school would make me pay the same net amount. However, I prefer the LA area and So CAL as opposed to Norcal. My major is neuroscience and I'm pretty interested in getting a minor in business or philosophy.
UCLA Pros:
Prestige
Academics(A- on college prowler)
food
more renowned professors
hospital on campus
higher ranking science departments (also higher ranking neurosci program)
UCLA Cons:
20:1 student-to-faculty ratio
Budget Cuts
dorms
Academically Cutthroat?
USC Pros:
9:1 Student-faculty ratio
Private education
Academics (A on college prowler)
marshall school of business, so I could possibly double major in business administration
Trojan Network
Keck School of medicine prefers USC kids? (not sure on this one)
Freshman Science Honors Program
dorms
Cons: location (South Central)
aesthetically unsatisfactory buildings
not as prestigious as ucla/ucb
Could get a minor in the Marshall School of Business
Cal:
Pros: Most Prestige
best academically ranked
most renowned faculty(with x amount of nobel laureates)
Cons: location(far from family etc)
academically cutthroat from what I've heard
dorms

Go to UCLA. There's a ton of resources for pre-meds and you'll be in good company. It's competitive, but pretty much any large public school will be and you might as well be in a setting that you'll enjoy for 4 years.

Cal is dirty, cold, and less people get in from there than UCLA. Just sayin'.

USC is too expensive.

DaisyBuchanan

Quinn Morgendorffer
7+ Year Member
May 7, 2010
Upper Left, USA
Status
Resident [Any Field]
I had a choice between the same three colleges several years ago, and I chose USC. It's true that many kids have half- or full-tuition scholarships, but you would probably know by now if you got one of those. I chose USC because I felt it offered the kind of college experience I wanted, and I suggest you visit the schools and choose the one where you think you would be happiest. It isn't all about perceived "prestige" of pre-med courses. Enjoy your college years OP :)

nolookpass

5+ Year Member
Apr 2, 2010
You guys probably didn't read his post and just saw the title. He said they would all cost him the same amount of money, so going to the cheapest isn't really helping him.

dbeast

That's cool I guess
7+ Year Member
Feb 3, 2010
The hospital, duh
Status
Fellow [Any Field]
Consider those student/faculty ratios when thinking about letters of rec and getting a spot in a research lab...

kexy

7+ Year Member
Aug 27, 2009
Status
Medical Student
Don't go to USC. I passionately hate USC. Coming here was the stupidest thing I have ever done. Ever.

DaisyBuchanan

Quinn Morgendorffer
7+ Year Member
May 7, 2010
Upper Left, USA
Status
Resident [Any Field]
Don't go to USC. I passionately hate USC. Coming here was the stupidest thing I have ever done. Ever.
... on a related note, finals start next week for the undergrads at USC. I think everyone hates their college when it's finals season. :laugh:

juliedi

is legit.
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Nov 12, 2008
Status
Medical Student
I had a choice between the same three colleges several years ago, and I chose USC. It's true that many kids have half- or full-tuition scholarships, but you would probably know by now if you got one of those. I chose USC because I felt it offered the kind of college experience I wanted, and I suggest you visit the schools and choose the one where you think you would be happiest. It isn't all about perceived "prestige" of pre-med courses. Enjoy your college years OP :)
Hey, it was exactly the same choice for me too Daisy!

OP, you really can't go wrong with any of those schools. They will all provide you with a great education. Go where you feel the most comfortable and which had the greatest "fit" for you.

dbeast

That's cool I guess
7+ Year Member
Feb 3, 2010
The hospital, duh
Status
Fellow [Any Field]
Hey, it was exactly the same choice for me too Daisy!

OP, you really can't go wrong with any of those schools. They will all provide you with a great education. Go where you feel the most comfortable and which had the greatest "fit" for you.
Me three and I wouldn't change a thing. :) But bias aside, all are great choices but I think SC has the best pre-med environment (private school = less cutthroat, smaller classes, more professor contact... Or else what are you paying for?). UCLA or Cal probably have stronger research though.

OP
J

jst1993

7+ Year Member
Apr 27, 2011
Status
thanks for all the replies y'all :) Srsly..Bleh, I'll decide tmw :) 5k anually at USC v 2k anually at UCLA. So it's down to these two. I'll probably pick UCLA to force myself to become more independent :laugh:

RoboChicken

now with 80% less sodium
10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Feb 5, 2009
Status
Resident [Any Field]
WHAT?! Is it even worth discussing?!?! Berkeley ALL the way. :)

I'm a little sentimental right now, becasue it's my last day of classes at CAL, and thought of leaving is pretty depressing. Berkeley has some of the BEST biology major programs in the country (particularly molecular and cell bio) and the people you meet here are amazing.

And Cal is NOT cold and dirty. Right now, it's super sunny and warm...and you can see the entire SF bay from some places on campus. The bay area rocks...and I met multiple people from CAL at every single med school interview I went to. So I'm sure it helps....

But yeah, it does depend on you personality. I feel like some people genuinely fit in more at UCLA...I'm not one of those people. :)

munchymanRX

Purveyor of Fine Nomz
10+ Year Member
Feb 9, 2009
Status
Medical Student
Cal students smell and the chicks are fug. Go to UCLA.

Jan 19, 2011
Status
Pre-Medical
UCLA Con: 'politically incorrect' fatuous and unattractive blonde haired female who posts preposterous youtube videos.

USC pro: Reggie Bush!

Cal pro: Jahvid Best!

CoolWhipp

7+ Year Member
Jun 10, 2009
Status
Medical Student
WHAT?! Is it even worth discussing?!?! Berkeley ALL the way. :)

I'm a little sentimental right now, becasue it's my last day of classes at CAL, and thought of leaving is pretty depressing. Berkeley has some of the BEST biology major programs in the country (particularly molecular and cell bio) and the people you meet here are amazing.

And Cal is NOT cold and dirty. Right now, it's super sunny and warm...and you can see the entire SF bay from some places on campus. The bay area rocks...and I met multiple people from CAL at every single med school interview I went to. So I'm sure it helps....

But yeah, it does depend on you personality. I feel like some people genuinely fit in more at UCLA...I'm not one of those people. :)
Except, how long does that last? You could have "sunny and warm" every day in socal. MCB is not a medical school friendly major either. It's not even people friendly.

ZeusonRoids

Membership Revoked
Removed
10+ Year Member
Mar 16, 2009
Status
Medical Student
I love USC and think it is wonderful...but I also like money, and having it.

When you have the chance to go to a cheaper school that is higher ranked...it is not even a real debate. Especially when 2 of the schools are in the same freaking town (USC and UCLA).

Personally I would prolly go with Berkley. Brilliant people (including my mother) have gone there.

Apr 30, 2011
Status
Pre-Medical
I'm personally going to UCLA for pre-med (Major: Psychobiology).Class of 2015! Maybe ill see you around. lol if you want to email me my email is [email protected]
And, truthfully there all the same schools, if you graduate from either one of them you'll have a good degree and a great education. UCLA and Berkeley are good for pre-med and you could possibly go to USC's Keck School of Medical because my top medical schoolS i would like to apply to is :

1.UCLA
2.USC
3.Stanford
4. Yale
5. Duke
6. UCSF

It would be great to attend all either of the three. But, i would say the decision would be between CAL and UCLA. And, to me the only difference in those two are location. SO GOODLUCK!

I would love to know which one you ended up choosing so email me and let me know! :)