USC vs. CDU/UCLA

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Fredhampton

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I have a difficult decision to make and wanted to get some feedback, preferably from those who understand what it's like to have a substantial debt load.

I was accepted to two awesome schools in Los Angeles, California--however--I'm having a hard time choosing one by the deadline. USC offered me four years of tuition, whereas the Charles Drew University/UCLA program will probably just offer basic financial aid packages and the guaranteed $10K all UCLA students get off their first semester.

For those who don't know, the CDU/UCLA program is fairly unique in that it takes 24 applicants who have a desire to work with underserved populations, and working to lower healthcare disparities by exposing them to underserved areas in south-central LA. The program is unique in that it offers, essentially, two of everything. Two faculty members to help in times of need, or give letters of recommendation, both from Charles Drew University and David Geffen SOM at UCLA. For all intents and purposes they are David Geffen students and then some.

I'm trying my best not to list pros and con's because often times you guys use that as some sort of quantitative indication of preference. Both schools are in the same city, I'm originally from the Northeast, but would like to live in CA for the next four years--so win-win either way.

I have 8 days to make a decision. I've asked a couple med students at different universities, and a couple residents. The general consensus is "choose where you'll be happiest, unless you've got lots of UG debt." Non medical school individuals say "take the money, you'll be in a good school either way."

Your thoughts? Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Do you want to work with under served populations?
If that isn't your MAIN focus then I would take the USC offer.

What's stopping me from working with the underserved populations at any school I go to? American consists of poor people everywhere!

Members don't see this ad :)
I have a difficult decision to make and wanted to get some feedback, preferably from those who understand what it's like to have a substantial debt load.

I was accepted to two awesome schools in Los Angeles, California--however--I'm having a hard time choosing one by the deadline. USC offered me four years of tuition, whereas the Charles Drew University/UCLA program will probably just offer basic financial aid packages and the guaranteed $10K all UCLA students get off their first semester.

For those who don't know, the CDU/UCLA program is fairly unique in that it takes 24 applicants who have a desire to work with underserved populations, and working to lower healthcare disparities by exposing them to underserved areas in south-central LA. The program is unique in that it offers, essentially, two of everything. Two faculty members to help in times of need, or give letters of recommendation, both from Charles Drew University and David Geffen SOM at UCLA. For all intents and purposes they are David Geffen students and then some.

I'm trying my best not to list pros and con's because often times you guys use that as some sort of quantitative indication of preference. Both schools are in the same city, I'm originally from the Northeast, but would like to live in CA for the next four years--so win-win either way.

I have 8 days to make a decision. I've asked a couple med students at different universities, and a couple residents. The general consensus is "choose where you'll be happiest, unless you've got lots of UG debt." Non medical school individuals say "take the money, you'll be in a good school either way."

Your thoughts? Thanks!
That's tough. It seems that it would be easier for you to serve the underserved if you didn't have lots of debt hanging over your head. Still, considering USC's neighborhood, I would be very surprised if USC didn't also have a strong curriculum (even if less formal) to serve the underserved.

USC is right by the county hospital. you get the underserved 24/7.

congrats on your win-win situation. Is there a reason you would be more happy at CDU/UCLA over USC?

At CDU, it seems as though there will be a bigger push and emphasis on local health , but still you will have to study for Step/boards, complete the similar rotations and everything else that all med schools give. A smaller class size might yield deeper connections with both faculty and student, especially since you all have a common interest - helping the undeserved.

I really think you can achieve these same goals at USC, especially since you will not have the burden brought about from tuition. As many are tempted away from family medicine, primary care, and caring for the most needy by the burden of debt into more lucrative fields, I would argue you could concentrate even more of your time and efforts into fixing these health disparities and provided for others.

Vote for USC

Yes there is a reason I'd be more happy at CDU/UCLA. The students there did a social as well as interviewed us, so I have a better understanding of the people in the program and their mindset. Furthermore,everyone I spoke to at CDU/UCLA stresses that being 1/24 at Drew is better than being 1/181 at Geffen or any larger SOM when it comes to logistics. That's to say it's easy to get lost in a big crowd.

At USC, it was the same-old-same old. Interview, and lunch with students who wanted a free meal for the day (lol). I interacted with far less people and I'm not sure how I feel about the community.

congrats on your win-win situation. Is there a reason you would be more happy at CDU/UCLA over USC?

At CDU, it seems as though there will be a bigger push and emphasis on local health , but still you will have to study for Step/boards, complete the similar rotations and everything else that all med schools give. A smaller class size might yield deeper connections with both faculty and student, especially since you all have a common interest - helping the undeserved.

I really think you can achieve these same goals at USC, especially since you will not have the burden brought about from tuition. As many are tempted away from family medicine, primary care, and caring for the most needy by the burden of debt into more lucrative fields, I would argue you could concentrate even more of your time and efforts into fixing these health disparities and provided for others.

Vote for USC

Reactions: 1 users