USC vs Dartmouth vs (maybe) UC Irvine

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

allenginsberg

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone! I would love any feedback as I try to decide between Dartmouth and USC. They are basically ranked exactly the same but couldn't be more different in terms of location, which is making the decision super hard!

Dartmouth:
Pros:
-lots of nature
-exploring a new area (I've lived on the West Coast my whole life)
-smaller community (both in town and class size, 92 in a class vs 170 at USC)
-away rotations in San Francisco, reservations around the US, other countries etc (though also kind of a con if you end up feeling kind of displaced/have to travel a lot for rotations)

Cons:
-not a super diverse area
-far from family/friends
-rural life: driving, less access to things
-kind of a lot of people from that area/Dartmouth undergrad

USC:
Pros:
-more diverse communities and clinical experiences
-close to family and friends
-beach!
-more people in class might mean more chances to meet people I align with

Cons:
-not a huge fan of LA, lots of driving and stuff
-institution isn't super impressive in terms of health justice, financial aid, etc
-lots of people from LA/from USC undergrad
-REALLY EXPENSIVE both in cost of living and tuition

I'm still waiting on financial aid but I doubt I'll get anything from USC while I might get a little bit from Dartmouth (Dartmouth is a little cheaper regardless). I'm leaning a little toward USC just in terms of location but I'm not sure if going into more debt for a slight preference would be worth it?

I'm also waiting to hear back from UC Irvine and am wondering if I got in there how that would change my decision, since it will probably be pretty last-minute.

Anyway, would love to hear anyone's thoughts or additional comments about the school!
Thank you!!

Members don't see this ad.

What are the total costs and differences?

Also, wait to hear back from Irvine - it might hit the balance between both of these that you want.

Good points. Without any aid, Dartmouth ends up with an estimated total debt of $373k, USC with $413k, and Irvine with $275k. I'm not jumping for joy at the prospect of living in Irvine but the cost is definitely much lower!