USC vs. MWU AZ

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

nsnpds

5+ Year Member
2+ Year Member
Reaction score
I NEED YOUR HELP!!!

I got accepted at USC and Midwestern AZ. My main concern is to do a lot in dental school and feel ready when I graduate to practice on my own without having to do residency. Money is not a factor because they are very similar in costs. I’ve put down some pros and cons, but if you have more info or can elaborate on what I have below (especially USC students or alumni), please do so :)

screen-shot-2018-05-14-at-5-05-54-pm-png.233984

Members don't see this ad.

Id never thought I’d see the day where I would advise someone to pick a $600k school that has PBL, but it seems like you’d be happier at USC.

Your #1 and #9 are huge factors imo and highly contributed to my decision making.
Plus you'd get to be classmates with me at MWU-AZ :highfive:

If you wish to follow more complicated cases or take on complicated cases, I'm sure USC would allow you to do that if you prove to them you're competent - there was a webinar where a recent USC grad talked about her experience and she had only good things to say. Also, having the specialty programs would allow you to build connections if that's something you are considering in the future. Just some food for thought. Which school did you like more? - that's where you should go.

Members don't see this ad :)
My wife was accepted into both. She picked MWU-AZ because of the large number of clinic hours that she gets. My wife is currently booked out about 4 months straight with patients. She is doing full mouth rehabs, crowns, same day CAD/CAM, endo, dentures.... She has seen a lot of different procedures. Not sure if this helps any.

Are they really similar in costs? What was the difference when you calculated COA?

Lots of Asian chicks at USC. Good LA food and weather. MWAZ has weird draconian rules you have to follow but you get to do lots of implants and other high-$$$ procedures and they REALLY prepare you to be "practice ready."
Which rules are you referring to with MWUAZ?

My wife was accepted into both. She picked MWU-AZ because of the large number of clinic hours that she gets. My wife is currently booked out about 4 months straight with patients. She is doing full mouth rehabs, crowns, same day CAD/CAM, endo, dentures.... She has seen a lot of different procedures. Not sure if this helps any.
At which state is your wife currently practicing? Did she do a residency program after dental school?