This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
D

deleted994703

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited by a moderator:
They are both pretty abysmal training.
Any explanation? What school did you go to and how does it compare with NYU in terms of number of patients and quality of training? I posted up a family member's progress during their D4 year and it was over 300 procedures done with still half a year left before their graduation. 300 procedures in 1.5 years sounded like a lot to me for dental school when I was in predent and he isn't even done. While I can believe that it isn't the absolute highest clinical exposure, I believe it is higher than a majority of the schools that I have researched which are usually 150-250ish. So my question is how do you qualify abysmal training? Number of patients clearly isn't it.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
thank you! that seems like a lot to me too. do you know anything about usc’s training?
Sorry, nothing at all, but I also just want to let you know to not be too caught up about picking to go to a school based on who has the best clinical experience. Most dental students really don't feel ready for real world practice by graduation, and even if NYU students do 300+ procedures by graduation, that's a drop in the bucket compared to a practicing dentist. As a practicing dentist, you will easily do that many in a month or two, and maybe even 1500+ procedures a year. You're not going to be doing too much in dental school in comparison to that. Back to my original point, I assume USC sees a good amount of patients as well so their clinical education will be decent regardless of whether it's higher or lower than NYU. So I would say, don't worry too much about which schools give the best clinical education, as long as it's good and you will have a lot of patients, it will be fine. Pick a cheap one and one that you have interest in. Come the end of D3 and you really feel like you need more practice, consider applying to a GPR.

Last edited: