USC vs. St. Mary's vs. Cottage Hospital

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Madilynn

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
For someone who isn't interested in doing a fellowship and who wants to stay in California, in what order would you rank these three three IM programs? Explanations also very welcome!

St. Mary's (Long Beach)
USC
Cottage Hospital (Santa Barbara)

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

I'm assuming that you would prefer to get the best clinical training, so among your programs I'd say:

1. USC
2. SB Cottage
3. St. Mary's

I'm not too sure about the last two, but I'd definitely give USC the nod between the three. GL.

Members don't see this ad :)
Madilynn said:
For someone who isn't interested in doing a fellowship and who wants to stay in California, in what order would you rank these three three IM programs? Explanations also very welcome!

St. Mary's (Long Beach)
USC
Cottage Hospital (Santa Barbara)

Thanks!

how about UCI vs Loma Linda? i would say Loma Linda over UCI, but lets hear your opinions.

USC is no. 34 by NIH research funding, offers 21 specialties and 54 IM spots (1st year). UCI is no. 64, offers 21 specialties and 22 1st yr IM spots. USC gives you great county hospital experience and much more prestigious faculty. There is no contest if you have to pick between these two.

However, other posters on here indicate that USC residents are not happy and management is the reason. You might want to search to flesh that out. If any resident at USC has a comment, please do tell!

USC is no. 34 by NIH research funding, offers 21 specialties and 54 IM spots (1st year). UCI is no. 64, offers 21 specialties and 22 1st yr IM spots. USC gives you great county hospital experience and much more prestigious faculty. There is no contest if you have to pick between these two.

However, other posters on here indicate that USC residents are not happy and management is the reason. You might want to search to flesh that out. If any resident at USC has a comment, please do tell!

Can u link the NIH research funding rankings?

Cottage Hospital has a rep as an elite place to get a prelim, so that halo should rub off a bit. St. Mary's program directors just quit.

http://www.brimr.org/NIH_Awards/2010/SchoolOfMedicine_2010.xls

not completely accurate since it doesn't include teaching hospitals - Harvard should be #1, cuz they aren't including the money from BWH, MGH, and BIDMC and their other teaching hospitals. But it gives a rough idea and I think is what Charting Outcomes uses for 'graduates of a top 40 medical school'

Yeah, Charting the Outcomes uses the US News essentially yearly (2011-2012 NIH funding).

It is baffling to me that USC is a pretty good med school with a huge patient population, but the IM program is known to be mediocre.