• SDN Site Updates

Hey everyone! The site will be down for approximately 2 hours on Thursday, August 5th for site updates.

• How To ACE Your Medical School Interview

In this webinar hosted by SDN with experts from BeMo Academic Consulting, you will learn a simple five-step process to help you translate your interview invitation into an acceptance.

Dooey23

10+ Year Member
Feb 6, 2007
GA
Status (Visible)
  1. Dental Student
Any advice/opinions as far as environment, program, and general stuff?
I'm having a hard time deciding.

Thanks

dood

10+ Year Member
Dec 1, 2006
Status (Visible)
  1. Pre-Dental
Any advice/opinions as far as environment, program, and general stuff?
I'm having a hard time deciding.

Thanks

i would Totally do NYU! that city, that environment was just me. the clinic was so spacious and modern, lots of people/girls, lots of things to do in NYC...hands down NYU.

the others not so good. USC...pbl (SUCKS)!! those are my opinions. :)

Dooey23

10+ Year Member
Feb 6, 2007
GA
Status (Visible)
  1. Dental Student
i would Totally do NYU! that city, that environment was just me. the clinic was so spacious and modern, lots of people/girls, lots of things to do in NYC...hands down NYU.

the others not so good. USC...pbl (SUCKS)!! those are my opinions. :)

thanks man
i'm actually torn between USC and Tufts... i think Tufts has the best program out of the 3 but I really want to be a Trojan, but it's in a not so nice part of town
Boston is freakin cold.

I just want to hear some more opinions b4 i make my choice :)

About the Ads
J

jackbauer!

i haven't heard one positive thing about USC since i joined SDN.... go tufts or nyu

jb!:)

B

Blitzdt

you got in to all of the expensive schools:D
This one, just imagine yourself where you one to live.

pacbum

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Oct 9, 2006
Status (Visible)
  1. Pre-Dental
haven't been to usc yet, but tufts and nyu were good schools i think. i would personally pick tufts over nyu, just because i like the location in boston a little more, and tufts is a little smaller, so more managable. nyu gets a bad rep on this forum, but it was a solid school in my opinion. nyu, imo, had more opportunities and if you're the type of person that takes initiative and opportunities, i feel like nyu would be a good choice.

tufts has a much better name, and in boston and the new england area, tufts is the school with the best reputation in terms of clinical exposure. good opportunities as well in research, but i didnt see the facilities. the research facilities at nyu were phenomenal. tough choice between the two i think. i think it would basically come down to which city you'd prefer to live in as long as you don't mind the larger class sizes.

usc also gets a really bad rep on this forum. to go to usc, you really need to take initiative and be comfortable working on your own. the atmosphere at usc is my favorite though. i love being on the undergrad campus, and love usc sports (i go to all the usc football games). i really don't know much about their program at this point in terms of research and such, but i have many friends that go there, and are happy. they end up having a lot of free time, but you have to be on top of it, and use that free time wisely. also like others said, LA is as cool as NYC or Boston, but you are close to the beach, and the weather is always great.

basically, each school has it's positives and negatives. all are expensive, so that shouldn't be too big of a deciding factor. it comes down to personal preference as one school is not better than the other, just different. try to choose the school that you're happiest with, and the area that you'd be most comfortable.

hope i didn't confuse you more.

PChemGrad

I am a banana.
10+ Year Member
Jun 30, 2006
Status (Visible)
  1. Attending Physician
Out of those schools I got into NYU and USC. I would choose NYU over USC any day. I didn't care for USC at all, they didn't make the program sound strong, especially how they dont always have the right patients for the students and they end up staying longer to finish up.
NYU beautiful facilities. Great program, not PBL.

My dentist went to Tufts and he loved it, so I would go with NYU or Tufts. Another dentist I know went to USC, she was the last class before they started PBL and she said she wouldnt go back now after they started PBL.

4815162342LoSt

10+ Year Member
Jan 30, 2007
Status (Visible)
  1. Pre-Dental
I haven't been to Tufts but I've been to NYU and USC. Go to NYU. USC's program is not that great. PBL basically means you're teaching yourself and for that price, I want to be taught (and do well on the boards)...but that's just me. USC is in a really bad area...NYU isn't (plus it's New York baby).

Dooey23

10+ Year Member
Feb 6, 2007
GA
Status (Visible)
  1. Dental Student
thanks a lot

I wish i had more time to decide...

does anyone know anything about the social interactions @ tufts?

Envision

Envisioning...
10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Jun 14, 2005
Irvine
Status (Visible)
  1. Dentist
I interviewed at NYU and USC. of those two schools, i honestly think NYU is a better pick. the facilities are very nice, and overall a pretty solid school. going there should provide you with a solid dental education. At USC...with the whole PBL thing...sounds a little fishy. at my interview, even the interviewers seemed a little hesitant of their pbl curriculum. to put our hesitations to rest, they said that they might be implementing lectures in the future...not guaranteed though. so despite the theoretically positive outcome of pbl, it doesnt seem to be working so well on such a large pool of students. anyway, if you decide USC, keep in mind USC has a very strong alumni association and lots of networking. if u want to stay in CA, go to USC. thats what i would have done. in the end, you'l still get your DDS...and both schools are around the same price. as for tuft, i canceled my interview so i havent a clue. gl.

About the Ads
This thread is more than 14 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. Your new thread title is very short, and likely is unhelpful.
  2. Your reply is very short and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  3. Your reply is very long and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  4. It is very likely that it does not need any further discussion and thus bumping it serves no purpose.
  5. Your message is mostly quotes or spoilers.
  6. Your reply has occurred very quickly after a previous reply and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  7. This thread is locked.