USC vs. UCI

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

strokchik

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I got a call from the Dean of Admissions at UCI this morning offering me a spot in the class. I'm in at USC and was planning to go there. I have until Friday at noon to tell UCI either way. The only thing is that I am on the waitlist at UCLA and that's my number 1.

I guess I need help deciding:

a) Which is better, UCI or USC.

b) If I accept UCI, can I still wait for UCLA? Does anyone know when UCI starts?

c) Should I call admissions at UCLA and tell them the situation to try to speed up their decision?

Any advice would be much appreciated.

Members don't see this ad.

Take UCI. The difference in tuition isn't worth whatever differences exist between the institutions.

As fostart dates, I don't know. Each school's web stie should have that info.

I think you should make a poll.
I made a poll earlier about ohsu and uci. about 2/3 said uci and 1/3 said oregon. i believe around 100 ppl voted. so i'm gonna go with the audience. uci: my final answer.
i think it'd help you the same way if you made a poll like that.

Members don't see this ad :)
oh yeah, i forgot. uci orientation start date is 8/28. dont know about usc. good luck.

Originally posted by strokchik
I got a call from the Dean of Admissions at UCI this morning offering me a spot in the class. I'm in at USC and was planning to go there. I have until Friday at noon to tell UCI either way. The only thing is that I am on the waitlist at UCLA and that's my number 1.

b) If I accept UCI, can I still wait for UCLA? Does anyone know when UCI starts?

c) Should I call admissions at UCLA and tell them the situation to try to speed up their decision?

For your Q 1: UCI if you factor in tuition difference
2: Yes...that's what I'm doing...
3: No....unless you get hold of the committee members and pour your heart out, discussing this sort of situation with the admissions officer won't any way speed things up IMHO.

Congrats on UCI acceptance!

a) USC has a significantly better reputation than UCI, as any doc in LA will tell you. USC's clinical training will expose you to more diseases and prepare you better for things like surgery, emergency medicine (the best in the state), and optho (Doheny Eye Institute is well respected), for example. Residency directors know this, and will probably give a USC grad the edge, all other things being equal.

Plus USC's bank account is huge right now with the $110 Mil Keck grant, and they're about to revamp the med system with top neurogenetic research facilities. They're aggressively going after a Nobel prize and a top ten ranking. Now would be a good time to get involved with the school.

UCI's a good school too, though, but you're gonna have to perform even better there to stand out. Of course, UCI is almost 20k cheaper. Which is more important to you?

b) You can still wait for UCLA up until UCI's or UCLA's orientation, whichever one comes first. Time is running short, though, because UCLA starts around the first week of Aug.

c) By all means you should call them. You've got nothing to lose at this point. Tell them your situation exactly as you've told us.

Originally posted by strokchik

u prob won't get off the ucla waitlist at this point

whatup lizardking!

i agree. sc is much better, altho area ghetto