USC vs. UCSD

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

usc vs. ucsd

• usc

Votes: 23 29.1%
  • ucsd

Votes: 56 70.9%

• Total voters

alenseven

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I just got into USC off the waitlist, but I was orginally going to UCSD. which one would you guys pick

Members don't see this ad.

I'd pick UCSD. It's less expensive and is in a better area.

alenseven said:
I just got into USC off the waitlist, but I was orginally going to UCSD. which one would you guys pick
alenseven, did you just get off the waitlist today? If so, how were notified?

Members don't see this ad :)
alen, u need to come to sd with me baller.

sd vs sc
cheaper 40k a year==> 80k more tuition
better ranking easier
better neighborhood ****ty neighborhood
all ur friends are going here ronen is prob going to ucla
better training flash said go to sd
im going there who else would u rather go to med school with
two hours away from home, enough room to live it up GHETTO South Central
great experience

call me amigo

i got off the waitlist yesterday at 1

gaitdoc said:
alenseven, did you just get off the waitlist today? If so, how were notified?

UCSD!!!! What's better than living in La Jolla, and drinking cheap beer in Baja?

Like rjb mentioned, it's much cheaper at UCSD. Why drown yourself in 200K debts?

alenseven said:

sdnstud said:
UCSD!!!! What's better than living in La Jolla, and drinking cheap beer in Baja?

Like rjb mentioned, it's much cheaper at UCSD. Why drown yourself in 200K debts?

uhhh, don't know about the cheap beer from baja there ... may have been made from some suspect water.

Two questions...

1) Does price of tuition matter?

2) Is La Jolla a better place for you to live than in the SC area?

If you answered yes to both questions go to SD. If answered yes on 1, then weigh the importance of each question and decide. If answered no on both go to SC.

Overall you'll get the same chances for residency whether you go to SC or SD and that's all that matters anyway...right? (but also you gotta think which schools teaching method can help your board scores, but no one really knows the answer to that anyway).

alenseven said:

Interesting

-- this was posted 5-18 by alenseven:

Hey guys I need your help picking between UCSD and USC. I got an extension from both in order to make my decision.

-- this was posted today by alenseven:

I got off the waitlist yesterday at 1

Doesn't quite make sense to me

i dunno, maybe the "extension" was getting waitlisted?

alenseven posted on 6/1, "has any heard back from SC yet. i am dying to go there"

well, if you already got into ucsd and you were dying to go to usc, you should go to sc. it's clear from your posts that you were anxiously waiting for usc to take you off their waitlist and your gut feeling is that you will be happier at usc, so ignore all the people obsessed over rankings and reputation and go to the school where you will thrive and be happy. there are plenty of us waiting to get in off ucsd's waitlist, so do yourself and everyone else a favor by accepting usc's offer and living regret-free for the next four years. the worst thing that you could do is listen to everyone else but yourself and then have to live with the mistake. you don't want to find yourself asking, "what if i had just gone to usc..."

gaitdoc said:
Interesting

-- this was posted 5-18 by alenseven:

Hey guys I need your help picking between UCSD and USC. I got an extension from both in order to make my decision.

-- this was posted today by alenseven:

I got off the waitlist yesterday at 1

Doesn't quite make sense to me

Don't waste your money and time. UCSD is in a nicer area and its much cheaper. Oh and did I mention, very happy students?
"SD - Its Amazing baby" (in a Dick Vitale Voice)

SlashAndBurn said:
Don't waste your money and time. UCSD is in a nicer area and its much cheaper. Oh and did I mention, very happy students?
"SD - Its Amazing baby" (in a Dick Vitale Voice)

happy students my left testicle

Usc, What Better Experience Than La County Hospital!!! Plus, Usc Rankings Are Expected To Rise Alot In The Next Few Years. Why Give Up A Chance To Go To Usc. A School With Celebrities, Middle Of La... Sd Is Very Nice Though (actually, Its In La Jolla As You Already Know). I Loved Usc When I Went To Tour There This Summer. Whats Greats About It Is The Students Are So Smart But Dont Look Like It (nerdy Looking, Etc).

i'm supposing a lot of you haven't interviewed at keck-usc, but it is definitely NOT in south central ... i dunno what you guys have been smoking. the undergrad campus is in south central, but the med school campus is about 10-15 min away, closer to downtown.

anyways back to the OP's topic -- go to SD because you'll save a buttload of cash. i'm serious. i go to keck, but if i had a choice on reduced tuition i'd take that route. on every other aspect though, i don't really think sd beats sc. we have great clinical training and facilities. you'll encounter cases and patients here at county you'll never meet anywhere else. either way you choose, i think it really comes down to the money.

UCSD is a horrible school. That being said, I am not as high on USC as I used to be. You will be happier at USC, you will get a higher board score, but you will end up with a ton of debt, and UCSD has more famous names than USC which can help you get into a good residency. But trust me, you will hate UCSD if you go there, but it is possible that you will be better off if you go there.

(hell just froze over)

Isn't ronen going to usc?

ronen is going to usc, but im (bobby) going to sd... come on alen!

SD - girls and books ... I'm down

Jalby said:
I am not as high on USC as I used to be.
Jalby, you've praised USC a lot in past posts. Has anything in particular changed your opinion of the school? What year are you, by the way?

third year is different than the first two years. I learned a lot. The things I praised in the past still are true, but there are other things.....but I won't talk about this anymore.