USC vs UCSF (IS)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

TGRDOCTOR3

Reaction score
Hi guys, I applied this cycle and got accepted into USC a while back. I was waitlisted into UCSF, however I recently was sent an offer to join their school. I could really use some advice as to which school would seem best for me long-term. I live in Los Angeles and am considering specializing but I'm not 100% sure and would also love to know which school would prepare me best for for my future for the dental profession. Also estimating terms of tuition and rent for me, UCSF will be about $40k-$50k cheaper than USC.

USC
Pros

- Able to earn networking opportunities throughout my hometown where I'll be working in the future
- Great patient load for clinical experience at USC
- Stay with my family/ Already have numerous friends at the school who I can ask for support
-Close to home

Cons
- I dislike PBL, but I'm excellent at working in groups

UCSF
Pros

- Pass/ No Pass system
- Doesn't have PBL and is more of lecture-based system
- Variety of specialty opportunities
- Limited Class Size (Better learning experience?)

Cons
- I've heard that UCSF has limited patient load, which provides for minimal clinical experience (I would love to hear more about this from any students)

I would love to hear any additional factors you could add to that list that are both good and bad that I could have forgot.

Members don't see this ad.

Cost. I think that’s a pretty big one that you need to consider. 50k I think is a big difference and I’ve heard good things about ucsf

Reactions: 2 users
Reputation-wise and cost, of course, makes UCSF a no brainer! BUT the fact that you will be staying with your family if attend USC is worth considering... because the amount of support you will get from them, especially mentally, can help you a LOT navigating through your dental school journey... AGAIN if COA is something you can handle (family pays for tuition, NHSC, military etc.) meaning not getting loans to pay the ridiculous tuition from USC then go for it!

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Cost. I think that’s a pretty big one that you need to consider. 50k I think is a big difference and I’ve heard good things about ucsf
i think it is WAY more than $50k difference
and UCSF is a WAY better d school than U$C
MUCH better chance at specializing at UCSF

Reactions: 6 users
i think it is WAY more than $50k difference
and UCSF is a WAY better d school than U$C
MUCH better chance at specializing at UCSF
Tuition is way more than $50k difference but factoring in that I would be paying for four years of rent at UCSF whereas I would pay for no rent at USC makes it come out to that price.
I've heard great things about specialization at UCSF but I was curious what makes USC not good for specializing?

I think you need to take math class again...the school costs of USC without living is 447k. The school cost of UCSF without living is 212k. If you were thinking you'd spend 185k-195k more on living at UCSF as compared to USC then maybe you need to go to a dental school in the midwest instead.

Reactions: 1 users
Tuition is way more than $50k difference but factoring in that I would be paying for four years of rent at UCSF whereas I would pay for no rent at USC makes it come out to that price.
I've heard great things about specialization at UCSF but I was curious what makes USC not good for specializing?
The funny thing is that you do know how to do the math, but I think that you just wanna go to USC.

Also I've met some that thought they wouldn't take out living expenses because they'd be living at home. Somehow eating out, that new tesla, spring break trips, etc end up causing them to need to max out living costs anyways.

UCSF is the all around better decision, but you know what you want. The question is are you smart enough to choose what is better for you over what you want? Hard choice that many make poorly hence the current student loan crisis.

The funny thing is that you do know how to do the math, but I think that you just wanna go to USC.

Also I've met some that thought they wouldn't take out living expenses because they'd be living at home. Somehow eating out, that new tesla, spring break trips, etc end up causing them to need to max out living costs anyways.

UCSF is the all around better decision, but you know what you want. The question is are you smart enough to choose what is better for you over what you want? Hard choice that many make poorly hence the current student loan crisis.
Thanks for the roast. I was just looking for advice that's all. And no, I don't own a Tesla and don't spend luxuriously on money. I understand how important money is and have been getting jobs throughout high school and college in order to save up for any emergency that comes my way.

My math comes out to that because from the school official websites, UCSF's total cost for tuition and supplies is $245,000-250,000 while USC's is $410,000-420,000. I know living in San Francisco isn't cheap and rent will be about $2,000-$2,500 per month. For 48 months, that comes out to about $100,000. Feel free to address me where I'm wrong as there are always mistakes in estimates. Your right, family is extremely important to me and I would love to attend USC because they live in that city. However, UCSF is also a fantastic school that has amazing programs for specialization. I'm very appreciative I'm in this position. I just wanted to know from students who attended there what they've experienced.

Thanks for the roast. I was just looking for advice that's all. And no, I don't own a Tesla and don't spend luxuriously on money. I understand how important money is and have been getting jobs throughout high school and college in order to save up for any emergency that comes my way.

My math comes out to that because from the school official websites, UCSF's total cost for tuition and supplies is $245,000-250,000 while USC's is $410,000-420,000. I know living in San Francisco isn't cheap and rent will be about $2,000-$2,500 per month. For 48 months, that comes out to about $100,000. Feel free to address me where I'm wrong as there are always mistakes in estimates. Your right, family is extremely important to me and I would love to attend USC because they live in that city. However, UCSF is also a fantastic school that has amazing programs for specialization. I'm very appreciative I'm in this position. I just wanted to know from students who attended there what they've experienced.
I wasn’t try to personally roast you on here. I post for future people to read to see the advice. Many find themselves in similar situations as this and the decision is complex and difficult. I just said the stuff about the Tesla and all cause that stuff happens a lot and I’d warn future students that if you do choose the more expensive school rationalizing that you’ll spend less on living then make darn sure that you spend as little as possible on living.

USC cost without living from their website

$129,220$120,296$117,460$79,600

UCSF cost without living from their website
($53,061.00)x4 + (39k total for supplies and equipment...yikes!) sorry I missed the supply cost in my original estimate.

So USC 447k and UCSF 251k without living included.

One thing to consider since you are seriously thinking about USC is let them know that you got into UCSF and see if they can sweeten the deal with some scholarship money. I know people who got loads of money from their original acceptance by doing this. Not people that were going to USC but it’s worth a shot if you are really one the fence.

Last comment about state schools. Sometimes the financial aid/grant possibility at state schools is higher. My cost of attendance at a state school ended up being about 140k lower than I originally planned due to various scholarships and grants that I got after school started. Ask around because I believe UCSF has a grant to help there students with the cost of living. (I’m not sure of that only heard by way of rumor so don’t bank in that and definitely speak to current students).

Best of luck though!

Last edited:

And those are static amounts. If you account for the 4% year over year increase, the gap is greater. I think OP wants to go to USC and is attempting to rationalize it.

Reactions: 1 users
I was in this predicament too. Being a California resident and solely applying to California schools I was thrilled when I received acceptances to both USC and UCSF. Financial UCSF made more sense however my home is in LA. Not moving and being with my support system takes a significant burden off my shoulders. I’ve also have friends that attend both and really made my final decision based on the family environment USC prides itself on. Don’t let others influence your decision and take into account what really matters to you. Best of luck with your decision :)

I wasn’t try to personally roast you on here. I post for future people to read to see the advice. Many find themselves in similar situations as this and the decision is complex and difficult. I just said the stuff about the Tesla and all cause that stuff happens a lot and I’d warn future students that if you do choose the more expensive school rationalizing that you’ll spend less on living then make darn sure that you spend as little as possible on living.

UCSF cost without living from their website
($53,061.00)x4 + (39k total for supplies and equipment...yikes!) sorry I missed the supply cost in my original estimate.

So USC 447k and UCSF 251k without living included.

One thing to consider since you are seriously thinking about USC is let them know that you got into UCSF and see if they can sweeten the deal with some scholarship money. I know people who got loads of money from their original acceptance by doing this. Not people that were going to USC but it’s worth a shot if you are really one the fence.

Last comment about state schools. Sometimes the financial aid/grant possibility at state schools is higher. My cost of attendance at a state school ended up being about 140k lower than I originally planned due to various scholarships and grants that I got after school started. Ask around because I believe UCSF has a grant to help there students with the cost of living. (I’m not sure of that only heard by way of rumor so don’t bank in that and definitely speak to current students).

Best of luck though!
I miscalculated the USC cost too so that's my mistake. I appreciate the advice on informing USC about UCSF, I'll see if they can do anything for me. I've spoke to current students about the grant and your right. I'm not sure if I'm applicable for that but I'll see, however I've also heard about UCSF's faculty not being friendly due to numerous teachers having tenure and worrying about their own self over the students so that does concern me a little.

Thank you for the tips!

I was in this predicament too. Being a California resident and solely applying to California schools I was thrilled when I received acceptances to both USC and UCSF. Financial UCSF made more sense however my home is in LA. Not moving and being with my support system takes a significant burden off my shoulders. I’ve also have friends that attend both and really made my final decision based on the family environment USC prides itself on. Don’t let others influence your decision and take into account what really matters to you. Best of luck with your decision :)
Would love to hear your thoughts after completing DS. Good luck!

• Haha
Reactions: 6 users

Chiming in really quick as a UCSF 3rd year... most of my cohorts' rent ranges from $700-1500. Haven't met anyone spending more than that lol