USC vs. UCSF - stay home or move somewhere new?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

wata111

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I've read all the previous threads that discuss this issue, but I'm still at a standstill on where I should go. PLEASE HELP! I've lived in LA all my life, I speak Spanish, and I want to use that skill to my advantage after I graduate, so it would seem that USC would be an obvious choice, since it has a heavily concentrated Latino population.

BUT at the same time, like I said, I've lived in LA ALL MY LIFE and would like to experience something new since I've been given the chance. Plus UCSF is not too shabby of a school...

I'm either thinking of doing a residency and becoming a clinical practitioner where I can work specifically with diabetes patients or other chronically ill patients. OR I plan on opening up my own pharmacy sometime down the line in a Spanish speaking concentrated area. OR possibly both.

One of my main concerns among many others is that if I DO end up going to UCSF and want to come back down to practice, I will be at a disadvantage since I'm not part of the "Trojan Family". Any suggestions/insight anyone can give me? I'm leaning towards UCSF, but the USC family keeps on tugging at me..

Thanks in advance!

Members don't see this ad.

Did u get accepted at any of these school yet?

yes I've been accepted to both

Members don't see this ad :)
oh Ok. either UCSF and USC are in california. Personally I would choose to go to UCSF. It is a good thing to go outside the place you live all of your life to experience new thing so you can learn more about life and not being a stock up. Both are great schools. You always can come home or move back to LA when you graduate.

Being waitlisted for UCSF, I'm going to say go to USC =)

One of my friends is a P1 at UCSD and he said he wanted to do clinical / residency at first - but now after a year of school, residency seems like the last thing he wants to do. So who knows, you might change your mind on clinical practice....OR you might not want open a pharmacy later on and want to do clinical all the way.

But my honest opinion is that you should decide on whether or not you want to move. Both schools are great academically - so it comes down to location. UCSF or USC - you can't go wrong. UCSF is more known for clinical and USC is known for retail practice....but whatever you decide to focus on, I'm sure that UCSF/USC will be more than adequate to provide you with the skills/experience necessary to excel.

yes I've been accepted to both

Congratulations!

There's a thread somewhere where Zpak & I banter back & forth about the two schools, but both are great academic centers to learn pharmacy.

The bottom line is......they are both wonderful schools and you need to go where you feel the fit is "right" and you can accomodate the financial differences (tuition vs the high cost of living in SF, with family vs without family, etc....)

You don't need to worry - with your education in either school, you'll not only be able to work anywhere in the state - you'll be able to go anywhere in the country, which you indeed might do if you go on to a residency.

You'll be able to use your bilingual skills in both schools since both have spanish speaking only or partially english-spanish communities.

Best of luck & congratulations and welcome to the profession!

You're welcome to pm me about UCSF & I'd imagine you could pm Zpak about USC as well.

Congratulations!

There's a thread somewhere where Zpak & I banter back & forth about the two schools, but both are great academic centers to learn pharmacy.

The bottom line is......they are both wonderful schools and you need to go where you feel the fit is "right" and you can accomodate the financial differences (tuition vs the high cost of living in SF, with family vs without family, etc....)

You don't need to worry - with your education in either school, you'll not only be able to work anywhere in the state - you'll be able to go anywhere in the country, which you indeed might do if you go on to a residency.

You'll be able to use your bilingual skills in both schools since both have spanish speaking only or partially english-spanish communities.

Best of luck & congratulations and welcome to the profession!

You're welcome to pm me about UCSF & I'd imagine you could pm Zpak about USC as well.

yea I saw that thread SDN, thanks you guys both gave a lot of great input...yea in the end it probably just is location and I have nothing against moving to good ol' San Francisco. It'll take a couple days to warm up to a final decision though...a couple beers and some drunken babbling may help in Vegas this weekend...I'll update the roll call sometime when I get back.

thank you for posting because i'm in a similar situation and i thought it'd be horrible to complain about such a "problem" it is to be accepted to both schools since i feel so incredibly lucky to be wanted by both.

my question to any current ucsf students is how much REALLY is the cost of living in SF is? like how much is spent on rent typically? does anyone even bring a car?

i'm planning to commute if i go to usc which will cut down on the rent but its still like 34k for just the tuition. i'm wondering if cost of living in sf is higher, if sf tuition + room/board will even out to be the same as what i'd be paying sc.

thank you for posting because i'm in a similar situation and i thought it'd be horrible to complain about such a "problem" it is to be accepted to both schools since i feel so incredibly lucky to be wanted by both.

my question to any current ucsf students is how much REALLY is the cost of living in SF is? like how much is spent on rent typically? does anyone even bring a car?

i'm planning to commute if i go to usc which will cut down on the rent but its still like 34k for just the tuition. i'm wondering if cost of living in sf is higher, if sf tuition + room/board will even out to be the same as what i'd be paying sc.

idk if this works for ucsf but at ucsd, i get financial aid (you'll get that at ucsf or any school w/ loans too so) so say 20k. ucsd's charge is 20k also. but usually i get around 12k total left to spend on things like books, rent...

so if ucsf is the same, then u'll just get around 21-22k in loans but still have some to cover ur monthly rent.

can someone see if this is right?

if i were you... i'd go for UCSF. nice city, lower tuition, not to mention it's the number one pharmacy school in the nation :) i'd totally go there if i had not been turned down.

I know exactly how you feel! I had to make the same decision earlier this month and it was even more difficult for me because USC is my alma mater and I absolutely love USC! I've lived in LA my whole life as well and I know that it will be difficult leaving the weather, my friends, the connections I've established throughout my years, and the nightlife behind! However, I chose UCSF over USC for more reasons that one! Both SC and SF are great institutions... so it's a tough decision! Here's why I chose SF (in no particular order):

Cheaper even when you take into consideration the cost of living (remember you will still have to pay for gas, food, etc. even if you stay in LA and live at home).

I wasn't impressed by USC's facilities (2 lecture halls for a three year class?) and fell in love with the clinical feel of the UCSF campus.

New experiences and a new diverse city to explore :)

And, finally although they're both great institutions UCSF is ranked higher.

Hello, I have a quick question: The financial aid website said they give you 1100/month for rent? does that mean you can rent out an apartment studio in mission bay (ranked in the 800s according to their website), 1 bedroom living by yourself? Does anybody want to correct me on the 1100/month thing that financial aid offers?

Hello, I have a quick question: The financial aid website said they give you 1100/month for rent? does that mean you can rent out an apartment studio in mission bay (ranked in the 800s according to their website), 1 bedroom living by yourself? Does anybody want to correct me on the 1100/month thing that financial aid offers?

If you choose campus housing, the financial aid towards housing is whatever your rent is because they know how much you are paying. If you decide to rent outside, they have a set budget of how much rent should cost. So if your outside apartment is less and you have extra money, you can either reduce the budget, hence reduce your loan amount, or use that money towards something else (e.g. car payment, debt, etc). And I think if your rent is more than the budget, they said you can petition for more money allowed in your loans towards rent.

Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks senzabee! my main concern is I really want to live by myself for personal reasons, and I just wonder if financially I am allowed to do that. But according to what you said, I think it should be fine.

If you choose campus housing, the financial aid towards housing is whatever your rent is because they know how much you are paying. If you decide to rent outside, they have a set budget of how much rent should cost. So if your outside apartment is less and you have extra money, you can either reduce the budget, hence reduce your loan amount, or use that money towards something else (e.g. car payment, debt, etc). And I think if your rent is more than the budget, they said you can petition for more money allowed in your loans towards rent.

thanks senzabee, that's what i mean in my earlier post but don't know if i was clear. financial aid provides you with enough money to cover your rent and other expenses, unless you want to buy a house and pay for your mortgage or buy a new car :laugh: .

I look at it this way. USC costs roughly 33,000 a year. UCSF costs roughly 21,000 a year. You can move to SF and get 12,000 of "free" rent every year (compared to if you went to USC).

Live someplace new/awsome and save money :thumbup:

Reactions: 1 user
I don't mean to "hate" on my future school but if it were me it would be a VERY easy decision (assuming you are a CA resident).

UCSF = cheaper, #1 school in the US, and I might be biased (since I am from NorCal) but San Francisco is >>>>> Central Los Angeles.

Congrats on both of your acceptances !

I don't mean to "hate" on my future school but if it were me it would be a VERY easy decision (assuming you are a CA resident).

UCSF = cheaper, #1 school in the US, and I might be biased (since I am from NorCal) but San Francisco is >>>>> Central Los Angeles.

Congrats on both of your acceptances !

Congrats on USC PolarBear! You will come to Love LALA land as well! The weather is gorgeous (it's super sunny today) and the nightlife is somewhat shallow but fun and exciting (lots of good looking people)... also at USC you will have the opportunity to make amazing connections :) Ohhh and although they weren't that nice during the interview, I know that they treat their students well. Good luck to you!

I would choose USC because my gf is in LA (going to LLU). I'm from SF and I want to get away from SF for a while also.

But if I was in your situation, I'd definitely go UCSF. As far as rep (which doesn't mean jack), UCSF is and will always be known as a top 3 school in ANY field (pharmacy, dental, medicine, etc etc). Although USC isn't too shabby either. But for the sake of tuition alone, it's UCSF hands down. $12k x 4 yrs = ~$50k plus with interest. That's like a FREE BMW upon graduation, or FREE rent for 4 yrs. Education will be equal.

I would choose USC because my gf is in LA (going to LLU). I'm from SF and I want to get away from SF for a while also.

But if I was in your situation, I'd definitely go UCSF. As far as rep (which doesn't mean jack), UCSF is and will always be known as a top 3 school in ANY field (pharmacy, dental, medicine, etc etc). Although USC isn't too shabby either. But for the sake of tuition alone, it's UCSF hands down. $12k x 4 yrs = ~$50k plus with interest. That's like a FREE BMW upon graduation, or FREE rent for 4 yrs. Education will be equal.

I actually think UCSf is about $21k but thats still WAY better than $33k

Congrats on USC PolarBear! You will come to Love LALA land as well! The weather is gorgeous (it's super sunny today) and the nightlife is somewhat shallow but fun and exciting (lots of good looking people)... also at USC you will have the opportunity to make amazing connections :) Ohhh and although they weren't that nice during the interview, I know that they treat their students well. Good luck to you!

Yeah my sister went to UCLA and I've always wanted to go to school in SoCal as well (I go to UC-Davis right now :sleep: )

I was actually debating between Midwestern-CPG and USC but in the end I chose USC because I want to try living in the LA Area :D

oh and in case you are wondering.. my bruin sister doesn't agree with my choice of school :laugh:

Yeah my sister went to UCLA and I've always wanted to go to school in SoCal as well (I go to UC-Davis right now :sleep: )

I was actually debating between Midwestern-CPG and USC but in the end I chose USC because I want to try living in the LA Area :D

oh and in case you are wondering.. my bruin sister doesn't agree with my choice of school :laugh:

you think your sister doesn't agree... i'm a bruin and i told a friend of mine i'm still considering USC and he called me JUDAS. i'm equivalent to a biblical traitor. just great.

you think your sister doesn't agree... i'm a bruin and i told a friend of mine i'm still considering USC and he called me JUDAS. i'm equivalent to a biblical traitor. just great.

Mr Granderson said lots of Benedict Judas Brutus Arnold's come from UCLA. :D I couldn't think of any more classical traitors.:rolleyes: Just throwing it out there. Not even from UCLA.

Its actually crazy.. I had no idea school rivalries went this far lol... UC-Davis has a "rivalry" with Sacramento State but its not much of a rivalry (no one pays attention really), we've won the last 7 times.

I drove to LA with my parents to visit my sister and I missed the USC vs UNC game and I asked my sister when we got to her place who won and she responded "... you already care about them?!?" and then I made a snide comment about UCLA losing (which I knew they weren't) and she said if I said that again I'd have to sleep outside :scared:

:laugh:

Its actually crazy.. I had no idea school rivalries went this far lol...

Oh PolarBear21, you have much to learn :smuggrin:

I promise by the time USC meets UCLA at the coliseum, you will be making the same type of remarks back at your sister :thumbup:

Its actually crazy.. I had no idea school rivalries went this far lol... UC-Davis has a "rivalry" with Sacramento State but its not much of a rivalry (no one pays attention really), we've won the last 7 times.

I drove to LA with my parents to visit my sister and I missed the USC vs UNC game and I asked my sister when we got to her place who won and she responded "... you already care about them?!?" and then I made a snide comment about UCLA losing (which I knew they weren't) and she said if I said that again I'd have to sleep outside :scared:

its actually funny because EVERYONE has been asking me who i'll be cheering for when LA goes up against SC next year during the regular season... and ALAS, my heart will always belong to ucla. MAYBE... just MAYBE i'll cheer for the sc football team... we'll have to see how it goes though. ;)

Oh PolarBear21, you have much to learn :smuggrin:

I promise by the time USC meets UCLA at the coliseum, you will be making the same type of remarks back at your sister :thumbup:

I second Senzabee (weird referring to you as your username)... In fact, I will put money on it. Trust us when we tell you that you will be wearing your yellow and gold and making all types of Pro-USC comments. You might even buy a USC license plate (helps in traffic when you're trying to cut in ;)

You can represent in LA while Senzabee and I get together in SF to watch the games in our SC sweaters!!

Fight On :)

I second Senzabee (weird referring to you as your username)... In fact, I will put money on it. Trust us when we tell you that you will be wearing your yellow and gold and making all types of Pro-USC comments. You might even buy a USC license plate (helps in traffic when you're trying to cut in ;)

You can represent in LA while Senzabee and I get together in SF to watch the games in our SC sweaters!!

And that is one more advantage of UCSF - 100 years & no sports:D !!!

You can represent any team you want & no one takes offense:) .

And that is one more advantage of UCSF - 100 years & no sports:D !!!

You can represent any team you want & no one takes offense:) .

Unless their roomates at UCSF are from UCLA :smuggrin:

Unless their roomates at UCSF are from UCLA :smuggrin:

Exactly :) but that's part of the fun! It's a love-hate relationship. It reminds me of a coffee mug that the USC bookstore sells that says, "My favorite teams are USC and anyone who plays UCLA." It's all in good fun :) you'll come to love it.