USC vs. UDM

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Bibbidi Bobbidi Boo

Reaction score
Hello!

I am a CA resident and I have been accepted to 2 schools this year. which one would you guys choose and why? '

USC
pro: In-state (5 hours drive from home), low stress according to current students, very nice weather.
cons: freaking expensive ($640K), PBL is not ideal

UDM
Pro: good clinical program +lectures, tuition, and cost of living is a bit cheaper ($540K)
Con: cold weather, far from home

i really appreciate any advice or feedback

Members don't see this ad.

Hello!

I am a CA resident and I have been accepted to 2 schools this year. which one would you guys choose and why? '

USC
pro: In-state (5 hours drive from home), low stress according to current students, very nice weather.

UDM
Pro: good clinical program +lectures, tuition, and cost of living is a bit cheaper ($540K)

cheapest

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Holy moly... does usc give mba and mph along with dds? Even then, the cost is too much...

Holy moly... does usc give mba and mph along with dds? Even then, the cost is too much...
I rejected my spot at USC because I don't like how the school waste all the money on unnecessary things (remodeling, athletic teams, etc) and won't even hire professors to each the didactic courses for D1 and D2. instead, they expect students to teach themselves using PBL every day.
It's a shame that CA doesn't have many affordable dental schools.

Reactions: 1 users
I rejected my spot at USC because I don't like how the school waste all the money on unnecessary things (remodeling, athletic teams, etc) and won't even hire professors to each the didactic courses for D1 and D2. instead, they expect students to teach themselves using PBL every day.
It's a shame that CA doesn't have many affordable dental schools.
Congrats. That extra 80k will turn into 100k with interest. Buy a nice prosche with that money lol

A lot of current students are unhappy with the clinical program USC offers, maybe it's just with everything happening with covid but strongly consider UDM, going out of state can be a great experience for growth as well

Hello!

USC

UDM

Most current USC students state that they are receiving 150k minimum in scholarship to offset COA.

You want me to list their names? Or IG handles for you to ask them yourself? I'm lost on how exactly you want me to provide this proof especially when many statements on this platform never provide sources or "proof". Thank next time I won't add my input of what current dental student have stated.

You want me to list their names? Or IG handles for you to ask them yourself? I'm lost on how exactly you want me to provide this proof especially when many statements on this platform never provide sources or "proof". Thank next time I won't add my input of what current dental student have stated.
Just out of curiosity, if they give so much scholarships to most current dental students, why not just lower the tuition??

If it were me, I would go with UDM. PBL is something to consider and cost! UDM will prepare you very well clinically.

If you do decide to go to USC, at least you will build connections in CA if you decide to practice in state. Plus the USC alum network is very strong. They really help their own

Most current USC students state that they are receiving 150k minimum in scholarship to offset COA.
maybe a scholarship from their rich parents.. the financial aid office said they only give some scholarships in the begining so if you havent gotten one then you probably wont later on.

Maybe you misunderstood the person you got that information from. Most students do not receive 150k in scholarships.