USC vs. UNLV (OOS) vs. Pitt (OOS) vs. Columbia

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

erser323

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello! I have to make the choice between these four schools.

Important things to note:
. I am a California resident and would want to stay near the area
. I am interested in potentially specializing in the future
. Cost isn't a huge factor but saving money is always a plus

Thank you guys for any input you have!

Members don't see this ad.

Hello! I have to make the choice between these four schools.

Important things to note:
. I am a California resident and would want to stay near the area
. I am interested in potentially specializing in the future
. Cost isn't a huge factor but saving money is always a plus

Thank you guys for any input you have!
not U$C!

Reactions: 2 users
I'm not sure how significant the cost difference is between them but I think UNLV would be cheaper after in state tuition and COL. Yes going to USC would be nice as you plan on practicing in CA, but it is very expensive. I think UNLV would give you similar opportunities at a cheaper cost while remaining in the west coast.

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm not sure how significant the cost difference is between them but I think UNLV would be cheaper after in state tuition and COL. Yes going to USC would be nice as you plan on practicing in CA, but it is very expensive. I think UNLV would give you similar opportunities at a cheaper cost while remaining in the west coast.
UNLV you can get in state after 1 year...
edit: oh, sorry, i see t00thdoctor said that, but i want to make sure that OP knows this...

Reactions: 1 users
Thanks for the responses! So unlv and Pitt are about the same in cost after a little aid I received from Pitt. Does name of the school matter at all when specializing? I feel that USC and Columbia and Pitt have a name that helps in specializing that unlv doesn’t and that’s my hesitation from attending unlv. Any thoughts?

Thanks for the responses! So unlv and Pitt are about the same in cost after a little aid I received from Pitt. Does name of the school matter at all when specializing? I feel that USC and Columbia and Pitt have a name that helps in specializing that unlv doesn’t and that’s my hesitation from attending unlv. Any thoughts?
The school does not matter as long as you work hard and do well. I forgot to mention that USC has PBL, so I would look into that as it can be a difficult. Schools like Columbia may have higher specialization rates because many of their students want to specialize, so they are extremely driven to work hard. I believe UNLV is the newer school out of all of these so there may be less opportunities to research or shadow, but I truly believe it comes down to the individual and how much effort they put into their grades and resume building. If you are still worried about what UNLV has to offer, then Pitt might be the next choice for you?

Personally, I would just eliminate USC due to costs and PBL, but you truly cannot go wrong with any of your choices. If you can find the means to pay for it, then at the end of the day, you should pick based on what you are looking for and needing from a school. You will be spending the next 4 years here so you should pick a school you think you will be the happiest.

Reactions: 1 user
UNLV Is a tier 1 research school as of like last year I believe? I know a ton of people who go there and most of the D4's end up specializing in Ortho, OMFS, etc. Lots of room for community outreach as well as patient pool. Not to mention the instate tuition after one year plus the cheap cost of living.

Last edited by a moderator:
UNLV isn't that cheap. I would consider between Pitt and Columbia but probably Pitt since Columbia is way too $$. There's a way to get IS tuition at Pitt too btw. It's through the state and not the school so you would need to do some digging to get it.

I calculated about unlv and Pitt the same? But Columbia is def more expensive but is there program worth the money?

I calculated about unlv and Pitt the same? But Columbia is def more expensive but is there program worth the money?
I don't think Columbia is worth the money unless (maybe) you're determined to do oral surgery or you're just rich lol. Price is the only reason why I wouldn't consider Columbia, otherwise, I would go in a heartbeat. I would choose Pitt over UNLV due to the variety of education they offer (whether you want to specialize, general dentistry, research, academia,etc.), reputation, and location. I'm not a fan of the midwest but I loved Pittsburgh as a city. There are so many things to do AND the cost of living is cheap for a city. The only downside of Pitt was that the school is located on a hill (again, just my preference), but you get a pretty night view of the city in exchange. On the other hand, UNLV isn't reputable and is located in a rural area...

These are just my opinions though. You should go through what matters to you the most then go from there. I'm not sure where in Cali you're from but UNLV will be closer to home so maybe UNLV is a better choice for you if that's your priority. Just don't choose USC when you have cheaper options.

If you want to stay west then go to UNLV. Also UNLV isn't in a rural area, its located right off the Strip. Patient pool is diverse and big there.

It’s just that specialization part... so hard to make a decision now that could effect my chances of specializing when idk if I would even want to specialize in the future. Thank you all for the responses!

UNLV's location is pretty great for living. there are a lot of affordable housing options which help save money. the program provides a strong clinical experience. I have heard of a friend attending there that it's very enjoyable.