USC...What a joke

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

vishal_k32801

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
At Infosource (http://infosource.adea.org/), for me it says:

School University of Southern California
Last Update 12/18/03

Admissions Status Received/Under Review
Local Interpretation We have received your application and it is currently under review. As always, the USC Office of Admissions and our Admissions Committee is dedicated to providing every application with a fair, thorough, and thoughtful review. As such, you may be assured that your application remains a high priority with this office.

USC amission staff,

No need to call, I am going somewhere else! :laugh: :laugh:

Members don't see this ad.

Did you ever decide what that other place was?

why a joke, just out of curiousity?

Members don't see this ad :)
Like I've mentioned before, the admissions process may take some time.
As for the admission process, USC has been interviewing students since November and has already sent out a number of acceptances. Because of their "Rolling Admission", if you are not accepted the first round, you will be re-evaluated again in the next. Since this re-evaluatation cycle keeps continuing until July, it is to your own benefit to apply early to increase the number of times you are "seen" by the admissions staff. I understand that waiting patiently can be quite frustrating. The best advice I can give you is to keep in contact with Eva or Ryan to let them know that you are still interested and eager to attend USC.
It seems like vishal_k32801 just got frustrated too easily. :rolleyes:

Goodluck where ever you go.

I am going to 1 of 3, Harvard, or UOP or UW. I am IN at all three
places, will have to decide by Jan15th. The fact is, I submitted AADSAS and all the schools received it by Sept. 2003.
I got accepted at UOP and Harvard on 1st Dec and UW just
recently. For past 3-4 months these two schools did not look at
many students applications.
Many frustrated applicants have posted similar opinions recently.
Why would I wait for the schools like USC or UCLA ? They did not
care to look through all the applications and then after 3 months
update the infosource or send meaningless e-mails to many. I think these schools are waiting long time so that they can gobble students application fees. At least, that is what I believe now.
Admission people must have a strategy to piss-off as many students as they can.
Why would anybody wait for these clowns until last minute?
We all have worked our butts off and seems like these jokers
don't care! So i say, hell with them! Many schools on East coast
have already slelected many students. The time difference,
EST Vs PST is only 3 hours, then why it takes 3 months for
USC and UCLA before even they screen the applications.
:

May I recommend some Diazepam, Lorazepam, Oxazepam, or Alprazolam? Heck, I'll even let you choose Ketamine or Midazolam if I can inject IM.

You simply have to realize that schools operate on different timelines. If you are in at three other schools that you are happy with, then why you even care about USC?

(By the way, I'd choose the Diazepam if I were you--it'll give you a higher sedation effect)

Originally posted by vishal_k32801
I am going to 1 of 3, Harvard, or UOP or UW. I am IN at all three
places, will have to decide by Jan15th. The fact is, I submitted AADSAS and all the schools received it by Sept. 2003.
I got accepted at UOP and Harvard on 1st Dec and UW just
recently. For past 3-4 months these two schools did not look at
many students applications.
Many frustrated applicants have posted similar opinions recently.
Why would I wait for the schools like USC or UCLA ? They did not
care to look through all the applications and then after 3 months
update the infosource or send meaningless e-mails to many. I think these schools are waiting long time so that they can gobble students application fees. At least, that is what I believe now.
Admission people must have a strategy to piss-off as many students as they can.
Why would anybody wait for these clowns until last minute?
We all have worked our butts off and seems like these jokers
don't care! So i say, hell with them! Many schools on East coast
have already slelected many students. The time difference,
EST Vs PST is only 3 hours, then why it takes 3 months for
USC and UCLA before even they screen the applications.
:

my guess is that there's a lot of polictics and stuff behind the admissions process... but you've gotta be crazy to turn down ucla because they're "slow" on their admissions... i don't know much about usc's program...so can't comment there...

i personally would probably pick uop and uw over harvard. but definately ucla, ucsf, columbia, upenn over uop (the best thing about uop is that it's a great school for those interested in GP and that it's in Ca for Ca residents who wish to stay there) and uw... but that would just be me...

Originally posted by ItsGavinC

(By the way, I'd choose the Diazepam if I were you--it'll give you a higher sedation effect)

Diazepam is wild, you're such a pusher.

Originally posted by StarGirl
my guess is that there's a lot of polictics and stuff behind the admissions process... but you've gotta be crazy to turn down ucla because they're "slow" on their admissions... i don't know much about usc's program...so can't comment there...

i personally would probably pick uop and uw over harvard. but definately ucla, ucsf, columbia, upenn over uop (the best thing about uop is that it's a great school for those interested in GP and that it's in Ca for Ca residents who wish to stay there) and uw... but that would just be me...

Which school would you pick between UCLA and UW? Why?

ItsgavinC,

Did you just go through your week of pharmacology or something??

Which school would you pick between UCLA and UW? Why?

i personally would pick ucla cause i went there for undergrand and know the school pretty well... but if UW is your state school...that would be a great choice too... Many of the Drs that I knew told me to apply there but I didn't because they take so few out of state students and I didn't think I would like living in Washington.

Members don't see this ad :)
how does USC notify about an interview- via email, mail, or phone?

They don't...:laugh:

I really don't know.

usually by email first, then snail mail.

I really don't know.

:laugh: i set myself up for that one.

I really don't know.

I'm glad that you can laugh about it now (afterall, you got into some VERY desireable schools!) because the admissions game is often very confusing.

Perhaps you didn't make their cutoffs for some reason, and they ARE merely stringing you along to have at you at a later date. Of course, that date will be so late that it will be their loss, but they are also in the admissions game to win.

So, I am just curious.
Has anyone got interview invites from USC yet?

Originally posted by ecdoesit
So, I am just curious.
Has anyone got interview invites from USC yet?

I don't know of anybody personally, but Dr. Malamed, a USC professor, taught our Pain Control class for the past couple of months, and several times he mentioned applicants being interviewed.

I was interviewed. Any questions?

Originally posted by ShawnOne
I was interviewed. Any questions?

yeah was it the same case where there was a sock stuck in the pipe? :p

Nope, they have a new case this year.

Vishal,

can you PM me regarding how your UW interview went. I go in a couple of days.....

Thanks,
Swim

Originally posted by swiminh2o
Vishal,

can you PM me regarding how your UW interview went. I go in a couple of days.....

Thanks,
Swim

Interview went real well. No complex questions at all. Why
I wanna be at UW, what other acceptances do I have, then
in general chat about weather, ethnic food, Seattle,
California etc. I am still debating where to go. UW will let me
know after 15th January so...have to wait...but was kind
of hinted by one that I am IN. Also, pros and cons of
Boston, Bay Area and Seattle were discussed by interviewers,
I was just listening! Will let u know for sure in a weeks
time frame.

i thought this is a little weird. i did originally applied to USC, but then i realized the cost and its PBL program (although i like the weather), i decided not to send back the application fee and i thought they automatically withdrew my application. So, i never heard anything from them since then. But today i got an interview invite. So I wonder what are people talking about the second, third, most critical stages? did i receive an email by mistake?

mard,
when did you submit your ADDSAS? Just curious.

i actually just got a USC interview invite as well, and I'm still debating on whether or not to go. The appeal of being in 70 degree weather all year round is really high considering Northeast weather really sucks right now. I submitted at the end of August, btw for people that were waiting to hear from USC. 5 month turn around time... not neccesarily the most impressive, but some schools have yet to acknoweldge the receipt of my application and they're on the same coast as i am. The only problem is that 2 deposits are due in the next 2 weeks approx., so I've gotta make some quick decisions.

I get the same letter. I think I will go though to check out the PBL before I make my decision.

FYI....

There are interviews scheduled for these dates:
January 16
January 23
January 30
February 6
February 13
February 23 (MONDAY)
February 27

I would guess that there will be more in the future.