USC-- where are you going to park?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

WaitingImpatiently

Long Member
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I've heard of some kind of "free lot," but when I called the Parking Office, they didn't know what I was talking about. As for the nearby lot, the parking permits are all sold out, which leaves only meters, and I'm not really all that excited about that. What are you guys/gals going to do?

Members don't see this ad.

Hitch a ride with you.

I'm not going to USC-Keck, but I'm very familiar with the parking situation there because I used to work there.

I have a secret (but tried and true) method to obtain a parking space there. I'm not sure it still works, but if you'd like to know, PM me.

Members don't see this ad :)
Lot 71 should be plenty fine and I can't see it being full as of now. It's only a couple blocks away.

Norfolk if it reopens is another option.

There's free parking near County but you have to get there early.

Additionally, if you also get there early (8 am) there are some 10 hour meters on Playground St. First four hours are a quarter each, remaining six are another quarter total.

I find it odd you're not able to get parking. Med students at USC are babied. I wouldn't be surprised if they gave you a bottle with your permit.

Originally posted by kutastha
Med students at USC are babied. I wouldn't be surprised if they gave you a bottle with your permit.

So were the grapes sour??? :rolleyes:
Thanks for the information anyways.

Originally posted by Jalby

So were the grapes sour??? :rolleyes:
Thanks for the information anyways.

No grapes. Just fact, aside from the bottle, of course. You'll see.

And you're welcome. Always get your permit asap as they take away parking every year and the neurogenetics institute will be opening soon.

Additionally if you live in Alhambra or Monterey Park, you can park at the Alhambra offices for free (corner of Mission and Fremont) and then take the free shuttle to campus.

If you live in Pasadena, they will be adding a Gold Line to Metrolink soon and will go to Union Station. From there you can catch another free shuttle to campus. It'll probably take less time, you'll hit less traffic and will be cheaper than a permit.

Carpooling works well too. You get a permit for two people at the same price as one and can share it bewteen cars. Both people need not be in the car, and I believe you get assigned parking. I'm not too sure about that last part though.

Thanks again for more info.

I'm going to bump this up. I was going to do the Alhambra office parking thing, but the first shuttle is at 8:30, which is too late considering most days, class starts at 8. Anyway, I was specifically interested in these statement:

Originally posted by kutastha
Lot 71 should be plenty fine and I can't see it being full as of now. It's only a couple blocks away.

There's free parking near County but you have to get there early.

Additionally, if you also get there early (8 am) there are some 10 hour meters on Playground St. First four hours are a quarter each, remaining six are another quarter total.

Lot 71 requires a permit, right? Or is it free parking? I keep on thinking about the "free lot" students mentioned during orientation.

Where's the free parking near County? There are tons of lots, I have no clue what each one is for.

I read in one of the packets USC sent me about the meters-- it seems that those 10 hour meters will get you a ticket if you don't move your car in 4 hours, regardless of how much you put in the meter. Besides that, meters are a last-ditch option for me.

Thanks

Originally posted by WaitingImpatiently
I'm going to bump this up. I was going to do the Alhambra office parking thing, but the first shuttle is at 8:30, which is too late considering most days, class starts at 8. Anyway, I was specifically interested in these statement:

Lot 71 requires a permit, right? Or is it free parking? I keep on thinking about the "free lot" students mentioned during orientation.

Where's the free parking near County? There are tons of lots, I have no clue what each one is for.

I read in one of the packets USC sent me about the meters-- it seems that those 10 hour meters will get you a ticket if you don't move your car in 4 hours, regardless of how much you put in the meter. Besides that, meters are a last-ditch option for me.

Thanks

Lot 71 does require a permit, and is less expensive than the stucture. However, if you're going to make a decision, make it soon as they are closing another two lots and moving those people to 71.

I don't specifically know where the lot is, although the southeast portion of County sounds familiar.

This 10 hour meter business is new to me. I would walk by those cars in the morning, and then in the evening every day and never once saw a ticket. If the city tickets you after 4 hours, complain and fight the ticket (the phone number to do so is on the ticket itself). Odds are this is bad info since everyone that parks there for more than 4 hours would get a ticket and would most likely complain. They're probably telling you that because they're pretty choice spots. Good luck.

We actually havn't been allowed to buy any permits for any place. It REALLY sucks. I think everyone is just going to have to park on the street for a while.

I just stopped by the Student Affairs office and talked to Rena about parking yesterday. It seems that they are only selling carpool permits to the mythical Lot 71. They aren't selling any other permits to any lots. So if you don't get in a carpool, your only other option is the "parking meter roulette" game.

P.S. Where are you guys living? Maybe we can get a carpool together.

Oski, sorry about that. I got your E-mail, but then I was out of touch for a while. Sorry, I can't help you out.

I'm actually living in Monterrey Hills, and I didn't know carpool tickets were still for sale. I'll have to go check it out.

Members don't see this ad :)
Just called parking services, and they said there is no more carpool permits available. but in November, a new lot will be open and we can purchase individual passes by then. So it looks like meters until then. Or the bus. I need to look into that.

jalby,

there's a free parking structure but its across the county hospital. its on the corner of marengo and state i believe. there's a few. and they all free. hope that helps

Originally posted by dr kevin40
jalby,

there's a free parking structure but its across the county hospital. its on the corner of marengo and state i believe. there's a few. and they all free. hope that helps

Thanks Kev. I think you've been moved back on to my liked list.

I just got off the phone with the parking people, and they said there will be no new parking until a new lot opens in november. I'm actually thinking about taking the bus for the first three months. You can get monthly bus passes for 30$.

I just got off the phone with the parking people, and they said there will be no new parking until a new lot opens in november. I'm actually thinking about taking the bus for the first three months. You can get monthly bus passes for 30$.

Which bus are you thinking about? MTA, Dash, etc. which one? I just wish the damn shuttle would leave Alhambra at 7:30, not 8:30! :mad: Either that, or class start at 9am, not 8am!

I've gone by the corner of State/Marengo several times, but I've never noticed any free parking lot there. Maybe I just haven't been paying attention...

MTA. There is a bus stop at the bottom of my hill. But we'll see.

impatient waiter,

the entrance is on state street. u can't miss it. its like 4 stories...and there's like a couple of them! they r SOUTH of marengo, not on the hospital side. seirously its a 10 min walk to norris library, or a brisk 5 min one.

jalby,

u can't take the bus. OH MY GOSH HAVE U SEEN THE AREA?! come on. use ur charms to hitch a ride w/ a lady friend or something but that area there seriously is one of the most ghetto in la..perhaps third only to Compton, Watts.

WAIT HOLD UP!!!!!!!!!!!!!

impatient waiter,

u r living in alhaaaaaambra?!!! serious!?

hi pocwana...still rmember me? probably not :)

TROOOOOJANS

WAIT HOLD UP!!!!!!!!!!!!!

impatient waiter,

u r living in alhaaaaaambra?!!! serious!?

Monterey Park. Not super close to the Alhambra shuttle stop (I guess 10 minutes if traffic is good), but it sure beats driving around looking for a meter spot.

impatient waiter,
u can't take the bus. OH MY GOSH HAVE U SEEN THE AREA?! come on. use ur charms to hitch a ride w/ a lady friend or something but that area there seriously is one of the most ghetto in la..perhaps third only to Compton, Watts.

Come on, now. The area isn't THAT bad.

hi pocwana...still rmember me? probably not :)

TROOOOOJANS

how could anyone forget dr kevin?
BRUUUUUUUUUINS. probably the wrong thread to state that. hehe

impatient waiter

MP!! great!!!...i went to HS in that area...i'm so down w/ all the chinese restaurants and boba places there. i bet all ur neighbors be chinese peeps huh

pocwana. hi to u too. ain't no thang. we got some love for yall too.

I strongly urge you not to take public transportation to the HSC. Safety issues aside, it'll take you forever to get there with the number of stops along the way.

I think it would even be faster to go to the undergrad campus and take their shuttle straight to the HSC. I dunno...parking is hell at USC either way you cut it.

I hear a rumor from credible sources that you can park in the county hospital parking lot and get away with it because they never check. I'm not sure exactly which parking lot it is, but it's worth looking into. Lots of students do it.

Originally posted by LizardKing
I hear a rumor from credible sources that you can park in the county hospital parking lot and get away with it because they never check. I'm not sure exactly which parking lot it is, but it's worth looking into. Lots of students do it.

HELLO! that's what i've been telling em. the free parking place across county!
lizard, where dou want to practice?

Thanks jalby :)

Kev, the "official" free parking lot is the one you're talking about east of State on Marengo. But there is a garage behind county hospital, just across the street from the med school on Zonal also. During the day there are always people at the gate making sure students don't use it. But if you ever need to go to campus in the afternoon or on weekends, just park there. If there's no one at the garage entrance, they're not going to check - they don't know who is going to the hospital and who isn't. I've done it several times when I'm over there with narry a problem.

But seriously the parking situation is awful any way you cut it. It's probably best to park at the official free lot and allow an extra 10 min. to take the shuttle.

stupid parking...

it looks like i'm gonna try the 10 hr meter parking thing.

btw, i love monterey park... i'm gonna live in south san gabriel, but i think i'm gonna spend most of my time at the monterey park restuarants.... mmmmmmm =P

south san gabriel is kinda ghetto imo

i love MP too. its one of my stomping grounds, espduring the summer when all my friendz from hs come back. yeeyeaaah

rapiddecomp,

oh yeah i know what u talking bout, the free garage near county. that one is sooooooooooo bad and small and crowded. but its very close.

oh, i got my place rite across from new ave on this little hill so technically it's still s san gabriel, but it's close enuff to mp

The parking situation is such a PITA. I really suggest carpooling if at all possible until the new lot is built. Street parking is a huge headache and everyone gets tickets.

SCIronMike,

What about the free lot that the above posters mentioned? The one on Marengo near State St... do any students park there? Is it really free?

SCIronMike,

What about the free lot that the above posters mentioned? The one on Marengo near State St... do any students park there? Is it really free?

For the larger part of last year, students did park in the "free lot", but then the hospital administration ordered them to not allow med students to park there anymore. This caused a huge student uproar and it was decided that students could park there temporarily until a solution was reached. I don't know what that solution is. I could have either gotten a Biggy structure or a Lot 71 parking pass, but I ended up choosing lot 71 again. It's cheaper, but a bit of a walk.

Mike,

Thanks. But again, which one is Lot 71? I keep on thinking it's the one right behind KAM, but you mentioned a long walk, so I was obviously wrong. What cross streets is 71 located in? And how much is it per month/semester?

Thanks again.

Mike,

Thanks. But again, which one is Lot 71? I keep on thinking it's the one right behind KAM, but you mentioned a long walk, so I was obviously wrong. What cross streets is 71 located in? And how much is it per month/semester?

Thanks again.

Lot 71 is closer on Zonal and it's closer to Mission. It is past Art's Coffee Shop. I'm not sure how much it is (I think $300 something per semester? ), but it's full anyways. It's not a LONG walk. Only a few minutes. It's uphill though. I parked there last year too as a frst year. Pretty much all the MSI folk last year who had parking passes parked in Lot 71. You seem to know the area well, were you a SC undergrad?