Usc

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Gipsyking

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello,
I have 2 concerns,
First, What is the type of teeth are used in the USC exam ?
I have Columbia, and I don't know where to get extra teeth from, Can anyone tell me this pls ?
Second, Can anyone share what were the cases given in the exam in the past few years ?
And Please share any ideas, thoughts and previous personal experience at USC interview.
Thank you.
Looking forward to hear from you.

Members don't see this ad.

Wht kind of wax exercise we r supposed to do ?....after looking at their instrument list my mind stops working..So expensive!!!!!!

i asked some one and he said that they will ask us to do carving of tooth on the wax block.this is what i cam to know about.if you find any more info,pls share it here.

Members don't see this ad :)
Are you sure guys there is a wax test in the USC interview ?
I was talking about the Preps

i asked some one and he said that they will ask us to do carving of tooth on the wax block.this is what i cam to know about.if you find any more info,pls share it here.

Thank u so much but do u know from where we can get the wax blocks so tht we can practice...

Thank u so much but do u know from where we can get the wax blocks so tht we can practice...
u can directly buy it from USC..they wl ship u..but it wud be a surprise if they realy make us carve a teeth on exam day..

Hii to all those who have been called by USC for the interview/bench exam. Can anyone tell the difference between the high speed handpiece Tradion POL and the midwest type?..are they all same..or this specific type of handpiece will only work there..and how are we supposed to manage the long list of instruments for the exam?..its too expensive to buy from USC dental bookstore..

Best of luck everybody, who got call from usc.
I got callbut i declined my interveiw and give chance to someone else at my place . Moreover i am so happy to join LLU:love:.
I want to share some of the important points for the exam from my past experiances . I appeared for exam 2times and got waitlisted in 2007 and accepted in 2008. but because i am not green card holder of thye US they gave my seat to someone else :(. But today i am happy what i have LLU:).But overall it was very hard way for me to reach up to this destination . So i understand all of u r feelings today's date and wants to help all of u.
Usc give 100% preferance to clinical exam . Eventhough PBL is fuul one day job and sound unique and different from other universities but it does not have much watage. its you communication which dont have much marks because they take 100% in Toefl IBt . who can get 100 can very well communicate. so dont worry.
Now Clinical
They NEVER EVER say clear statement that prepare class 2/ pfm /gold/ 3/4 crown/7/8 crowm or porcelin jacket or what ever.
They give you case senario
Exam is 3-31/2 hr, you have 2 case senarios
For example : In my exam
One patient come to you with complaint of sensitivity in 37, having alredady existed MO amalgam filling . After taking x ray you evalauated that there is a hair line # in the filling on the occluso proximal area and there is a # line on the lingual surface of the teeth extending from occlual to cervical area. Pt. is very much agree that Amalgam is one of the good Restorative filling. in x-ray it shows that caries extending 0.25 mm into the dentine. and 36 missing and 35 is in good condition. patient is very esthetic concious.
What will be u r line of treatment plan and how you will restore this tooth?
Ans:think 1ts broken filling , lingual surface is weak because of fracture line , and .2 mm into the dentine crossing DEJ.
so I removed filling first to have a good access to the carious surface . Meaning i prepared Class 2 MO on 37
over that i made 3/4 crown keeping buccal surface intact and covering lingual fracture with metal . so 37 first class 2 and over that 3/4 and used class 2 prep as a retention for 3/4 crown.
but i know many people made gold crown over that.
now 36 missing so giving pontics with abutment of 35 with PFM s. so that esthetic can be preserved.
final results is BRIDGE
with 3/4 on 37 and PFM on 35.
I am trying to make u understand but i dont know how i can make it more clear.
2nd senario.
same patient have 15 Do decay extending into 0.2 into dentine. he is very with previous amalgam filling and want something very durable and inexpencive treatment . what is u r treatment
Ans 15 do amalgam filling 15 mo class 2 prepration .
They always change the tooth number this was for me ,for sure it wont be same for you. so prepare well for class 2 in PM , Molar amd also prepare gold and PFM for sure . Think 2 times before cutting . what u want to make and why.
As you have to write down on the back of u r test sheet what is ur treatment plan why you decide and what you made. whether yoyu made PFM for esthetis and gold for long term posterior treatment choice. you have to write your treatment accordingly and they are going to see your sheet first actually what you made and why. and whether you made exactly correctly the prepration with soecification to nmeet you treatment plan.
after this tyring day you are finished with exam .MNext day is just plain fun . they will giive you one home made story and split that story into 4 sheets with 4 paragraphs . when you start you will be divided into different groups with 10 applicants sitting around on the round table and having !st sheet of the story the firsyt part of the story.
You have to find out the findings, actions and investigations .
Everybody have same aper in the hand and discuss as a group collaberation. One person will Volunteer to read and write on the blackboad about ur all veiws.
The 2nd part of the story with 2nd paper in everbody hand and the continution of the same story. then third . by that time you all will say. What is this . U will have fun. and you dont be worrying whether what you are saying is right or wrong , you will be preety OK. then end of the story and you will laugh and laugh.
during this process . There is room alloted for every applicants you all 10 go to soecified room , you are sharing round table. @ evaluators sitting in the corner will just watch all of you . They will just come in the end of one sheet and give all of you the 2nd part of the sheet, then third and then 4th. They dont much interfere in your discussion conversation. They always act that they are writing something but what they write and observe . i dont know.
My tip is be atticated , give respect to you partners and have a healthy and positive discussion. NEver cut someone to make u r point and never go for arguments ,wheather you liked or disliked somebodys opinion or point. always appreciate others saying it was good and excellent point. as my freind already mentioned it is a great waitage. i am toatall agree with my friend.
Like u have to show the evaluators that you are atticated and have healthy manners to work in groups.
Nothing more then long wait start for results.
I hope you will do good from your part and rest leave on GOd. He will take care and your hard work will get paid off.
Yes ! one more thing I dont know about wax exercise ,as if they are going to do they are doing for very first time and i dont know what it is. but for sure what ever it will be your grading is only be pased on your clinical hand skill on typodont.
you have to work on bench there is no meniquine and no head rest and cheeks and all that stuff.
Best of luck . have good co-ordination of you r eyes with your hand. :thumbup:

One more thing , You have to hold a typodont in the hand and do your work. I am not sure but i think u can even seprate upper and lowerpart of the jaw,
Second you can take your own choice of burs,handinstruments and what ever you like . they dont check they dont care. ypu have to take your handpeice and typodont with all 32 mounted.
So my advice is just take those which gives you 100% beauty to your preps. try to use hand instruments for boxes like hatchet and hoe, and GMTs for bevel.
try to practice on table with sitting posture and wearing gloves, mouthmask and safety glasses.
try to calm down yourself before holding the handpeice . practice and practice . Noone answers can help you . only u can help yourself by practicing and practicing.
Best of luck.

Thanks Everybody.
One more thing dont spend much money on instruments . what you need is Hand peice . 4 whole as in ALL US school have 4 hole system . tere is no need of my hole i have NSK 4 whole handpeice and i never faced any problem with installation in any university.
2. some burs like 330, 245, 56, 8512,13,16,,needle bur shoulder chamfer bur,
hand instrument i mentioned, and matrix band retaine, or inner guard for protection from nicking adjacent teeth. , explorer, periodontal probe, and putty guide to see the occlusal clearance. all this is you need , basically you have to cut in the way that it should look as u just shrunk the tooth 1.5/2mm maintaing same anatomy. dont do under and over cutting . check check then cut again check i mean to say evaluate yourself what u want to do next.
Their list is to make mony , but they dont care what you come with in the lab they just see your final results how you madethey dont care. i never used slow handpeice . so i never carry that.
Just see what you for yourself to give them 100%.
Dont think what they asked in instrument list. yes but for sure what you need to give 100% you have to have those burs and hand instrument.
Best of luck.
NEVER EVER nick adjacent teeth . this is the most important differeance u can make from rest of the applicants . if you have good control on nerves,