Medical USCE for IMGs - How do I get away rotations?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mr.Smile12

Admissions advisor
Staff member
Lifetime Donor
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi,

I am a medical student in the UK, who was banking on using my elective period in Jan-Mar 2021 to get some USCE. Due to the pandemic, it seems unlikely that I will be able to do this, as both my home institution and US hospitals are discouraging or not allowing away rotations.

I understand that it is very difficult to get USCE outside of these away electives. My question is if other avenues, like paying for "externships" at private hospitals, are likely to work, as I haven't been able to find a lot of reliable information about these, or if I should give up on applying to the US completely, as all of the residency programs I have researched require or prefer USCE.

My step 1 score is 256, and I was planning on writing step 2 CK next spring. Specialties I would prefer are anesthesiology or pediatrics; however, I am open to IM or FM if those are much more likely to work out.

Thank you so much for any help/advice you can give!
At this time under pandemic conditions, I'd look to stay closer to home.

Members don't see this ad.

Thank you so much for your responses! My question was more about pursuing externships later on (in 2-3 years) or using observerships in place of having the away rotation for the USCE component of the match application, as I fully understand that it is unlikely that IMGs will be accepted for these placements this academic year. Mr.Smile12, do you mean that I should stay in the UK?
Yes. Travel between the US and the UK considering the lack of coordination on controlling COVID-19 would make me very afraid to travel between those countries in the near foreseeable future (like until the end of the calendar year). Just an emotional response but I am not confident that public health leaders have any influence to stop the pandemic in those nations.

Status
Not open for further replies.