Usd???

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Dr_Jay_wannabe

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I was wondering if any of you have applied or been accepted to the University of South Dakota Medical School program.

I am still a freshman pre-med, but I really want to attend there because it is in my home state. I would like to know what they are searching for in applicant. I am leaning towards family practice as of now, so I wouldn't be blowing smoke by saying my interests are oriented in family/rural medicine.

If anyone has any tips or advice on what it takes to be a successful applicant, I would really appreciate it.

Thanks,

JJ

Members don't see this ad.

Ok about USD... they are REALLY looking for people interested in primary care- family practice, internal medicine, etc.. You said you like FP, so that's great. Are you planning on staying in SD to practice? If so, you're in great shape. Since they only have a class size of 50, they're really looking for people who express an interest in sticking around.
The people there are great, but the facilities...not so much. Luckily they've started construction, so hopefully by the time you get there it'll be great. ;)

Good luck!

I figured all that about an emphasis on South Dakota-based care. I do plan to practice in South Dakota, but I was wondering what kind of gpa or mcat scores they are looking for. ALso, what kind of experience or extra-curricular activites are they particularly looking for?

Thanks again for your response.

JJ

I PMed you with some more specific information, but basically USD will take people who may seem to have below average stats and then help them become great doctors. If you really want to be a doctor and jump through the appropriate hoops (pre-reqs, ECs, etc.) then you're in a good position. Good luck!