Use CC credits or retake biology at 4 year institution?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

lussekatte

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am a rising freshman at a public flagship who was offered a guaranteed sophomore transfer to a T20 school! Super exciting, but I am in confusion over whether to take the first year intro bio classes at my current school or not. I am coming into uni with an associate's degree from my high school and took intro bio classes there that fulfill transfer equivalency for the classes at this flagship school. I am being told by an advisor to skip taking the intro classes and instead take a human nutrition class (??).

I was initially opposed to using my CC credits, as I have read on SDN that medical schools highly prefer that applicants take most if not all their prereqs at a 4 year institution. Now, I'm just confused. I still don't feel comfortable skating by on biology credits I got when I was a junior in high school and using them to move straight into upper-division bio classes. It's the principle of it that bugs me, not really the rigor. And I don't know how adcoms would view that, either :( I have contacted an advisor from T20 school about this (whether I'd have to take it again after transferring) and am waiting on a response, but I would like to hear opinions from SDN as well. Thank you!!!!!

Members don't see this ad.

If I were you I would keep the CC Biology pre-reqs and do some upper division coursework to allay any potential fears ADCOM'S may have of you not being able to handle medical school material. Just my opinion though!!