Use of barbiturates or benzodiazepines to improve pain

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

coralman

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Does anyone here has experience of having a patient who use barbiturates or benzodiazepines to improve pain and physical performance?

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
From what I know (heck, I haven't even started my first day of PT school yet, so don't be so harsh):

In the U.S., physical therapists are not allowed to prescribe and administer any type of pharmacologic compound/medicine, such as barbiturates or benzodiazepines. Unless the physical therapist received his or her education/training from a military physical therapy program, then the physical therapist may prescribe medication and order x-rays if they are on a base. Even then, I don't know if they can prescribe such drugs? I think it's only anti-inflammatories/NSAIDs. Not too sure.

However, in certain states the physical therapist may be allowed to purchase, store, and administer certain drugs as per state law and may only administer the drug or medication as prescribed and indicated by an authorized health care practioner, such as an MD, for use in physical therapy.

Do you use medications in the treatment of your patients, coralman? If so, in what state do you practice, what are the specific restrictions on the use of drugs in conjunct with physical therapy, how often do you have a case where you are allowed to administer medication, types of cases you would use it in, etc.

Sorry for the host of questions, but rarely do I see or meet a PT that has any ample experience in this type of area. Allowing PTs to prescribe medication is a controversial issue. I myself am not sure where I exactly stand on this issue. On one hand it could be good, helping patients with their pain and in one way or another facilitating their recovery. However, problems with liability, philosophy, education, and contraindications (among others) abound...

Barbiturates and benzos are better known for their anxiolytic effects vs their analgesic effects. Depending on the patient, there can certainly be an emotional aspect of their pain and anxiety may trigger or exacerbate their symptoms. However, these drugs are not considered first line medications in most cases. Plus, the common side effect is sedation which may affect their performance.

Members don't see this ad :)
When I read "improve pain" - it made me giggle... If I think about it long enough it makes sense, but I think "reduce pain" would sound better.

/end completely useless response. ;)

Haha, I thought about that, too. Just wanted to spare the OP. haha

Does anyone here has experience of having a patient who use barbiturates or benzodiazepines to improve pain and physical performance?

As a pharmacists I can tell you that barbiturates and benzodiazepines are often used to treat neuropathy, neuralgic pain, fibromyalgia etc. Also benzos like ativan are also commonly used for muscle relaxation or leg cramps. So you can have patients on these meds for pain reduction.