Use of Eugenol...is it necessary

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

J2AZ

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
The dentist I work for hates it when a patient comes back from the endodontist with a temporary filling containing eugenol. He says it interferes with the retention of composite fillings. He would rather the endodontist use a bit of tetric or some other material for the temporary filling. Does your school teach the use of eugenol and if so why do they say it is necessary?

Also, who can tell me about "dical" (sp?). The dentist I work for is also not a big fan of this substance. I have done a few google searches but have found no info on it.

Thanks

Members don't see this ad.

"dycal" will probably get you mroe results

Eugenol does not interefere with the retention of composite fillings. Eugenol intereferes with the polymerization of composites as well as acrylic. Therefore, the composite will not cure properly - technically thats not a retention issue.
If you were to make an acrylic temporary and cement it with a eugenol containing cement, and then in the future you try to reline the temp, you will find that the new acrylic will not bond well with the old acrylic.

Dycal is one of the brand names of calcium hydroxide. Probably most often used as a liner under a restoration, though some use it as a base, and others as a temporary cement.

Members don't see this ad :)
J2AZ said:
The dentist I work for hates it when a patient comes back from the endodontist with a temporary filling containing eugenol. He says it interferes with the retention of composite fillings. He would rather the endodontist use a bit of tetric or some other material for the temporary filling. Does your school teach the use of eugenol and if so why do they say it is necessary?

Also, who can tell me about "dical" (sp?). The dentist I work for is also not a big fan of this substance. I have done a few google searches but have found no info on it.

Thanks

Gee, I haven't seen a zinc oxide eugenol cement temporary restoration in ages (like years). Most everyone uses Temp-It, Cavit or Glass Ionomer for temporization.

Eugenol, oil of cloves odor is best used on Easter Sunday for ham!

In today's dentistry it is definitely "old school".

Fullosseousflap said:
Gee, I haven't seen a zinc oxide eugenol cement temporary restoration in ages (like years). Most everyone uses Temp-It, Cavit or Glass Ionomer for temporization.

Eugenol, oil of cloves odor is best used on Easter Sunday for ham!

In today's dentistry it is definitely "old school".
Also remember to use temp bond NE (non eugenol) to cement temporary acrylic crowns on composite cores.

GQ1 said:
Also remember to use temp bond NE (non eugenol) to cement temporary acrylic crowns on composite cores.

Yup!