Useful Christmas Gifts for Doctors/Medical Students

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Pr1d3D0c

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
As Christmas is rapidly approaching, I have family/significant others asking about what I would like for Christmas. However, my {first world} problem is finding out what gadgets/gifts are really going to be useful for me going forward as a Medical Student (I am an M1) and Doctor. I initially was going to get a Surface Laptop from my SO, but this is too expensive and I didn't want that kind of money spent for Christmas. So now I have to brainstorm other things that aren't TOO expensive (~$350) and also really useful for me. I have toyed around with the idea of a Smart Watch and the New iPad, but have fear that I will be disappointed in the usefulness of either going forward. Here is my pros/cons for each:

Smart Watch
+I rotate through private practices frequently and could use the watch to check messages that may be important without pulling out the phone
+Doctors have them and say that they are extremely helpful for them when they are in clinic
+I am very physically active and would enjoy the activity tracking ability
-I do not like the style of the AppleWatch at all, but have read that it is the premiere SmartWatch on the market right now
-I fear that these watches become "dated" very quickly with new operating systems, etc... and do not want that to occur with a watch necessarily (I recognize with most other technology this happens)

iPad
+The new iPad has a nice feature of having the Apple Pen (I like to handwrite notes but often circumscribe to a computer anyway)
+Many of my colleagues love it for note-taking and organization
+I could possibly use it to log experiences (required) when on rotations due to its portability
-I currently have a MacBook (5 years old) that works fine, though my SO would begin using it for work
-I have an older iPad Mini that I do not use as much as I would like now (although it doesn't have the ability to write notes in the same fashion)

So this is where I am at right now...However, I am open to other ideas from current/past medical students and physicians. I know there are probably some really helpful gadgets out there that I could possibly take advantage of going forward. So if anyone has a suggestion with respect to the above or about other gift ideas, don't hesitate to share!

EDIT: After digging a bit, I noticed the iPad Pro (more expensive) is the only line able to utilize the pen...that is a huge knock against it now

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Unless you think you really NEED something that is applicable to medical school, why not ask for things you really want? It doesn't sound like you really want either of the things you mentioned.

I would just think of fun stuff that you want (clothes, shoes, video games, etc.) and ask for that instead.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
For the wards I think the iPad is better than the iWatch. On the iPad you can do Anki or review topics while standing around and it looks better than being on your phone. The watch is nice, but if you get pulled away to do something for a while or run an errand you more often than not will need your phone to call in if there's an issue or whatever.

If you have that one family member that feels that that HAVE to get you a gift otherwise the holidays are totally ruined!!!! (that's sarcasm but I do have 1 family member that is like that). You can ask for a good quality reflex hammer. You might not use it now, but it'll make that person happy that they got you something that's not crazy expensive and you can also put it aside until you need it. I'm an M3 and asked for this one as a stocking stuffer.

amazon - MDF® Tromner Neurological Reflex Hammer with built-in brush for cutaneous and superficial responses - Light - HDP Handle - Black (MDF555P-11)

edit: I keep trying to link it but I get weird formatting instead :/

If you have that one family member that feels that that HAVE to get you a gift otherwise the holidays are totally ruined!!!! (that's sarcasm but I do have 1 family member that is like that). You can ask for a good quality reflex hammer. You might not use it now, but it'll make that person happy that they got you something that's not crazy expensive and you can also put it aside until you need it. I'm an M3 and asked for this one as a stocking stuffer.

amazon - MDF® Tromner Neurological Reflex Hammer with built-in brush for cutaneous and superficial responses - Light - HDP Handle - Black (MDF555P-11)

edit: I keep trying to link it but I get weird formatting instead :/

All the physiatrists where I work use this one. Def a big boi hammer

Reactions: 1 users
This is a great stocking stuffer.
6frontcover.gif

vibrator and/or fleshlight for the disproportionately large proportion of #foreveralone crowd. Year supply of caffeine pills suffice for those and everyone else.

Honestly get them a gift you would give a human being. I cannot think of anything "doctor-specific" that would have been useful to me outside of a laptop or MAYBE ipad. Other than that it probably won't be put to good use.

As a smart watch owner I do typically use it to look at messages, but most of the time I A) pick up my phone and call if it's urgent B) reply from my phone when I'm less busy or C) use a generic pre written reply. It is convenient to see the message and determine the appropriate response option; however, texting on the watch is not especially convenient.

Anyway, the point of this post is to say Samsung Gear s3 >>>>>>>>> Apple watch. I'm not an Apple fanatic when it comes to technology tho. I find Apple products to be incredibly limiting.

Can never go wrong with a Glock 19. Or nice ear-canceling headphones.

Reactions: 2 users
Can never go wrong with a Glock 19. Or nice ear-canceling headphones.
I thought your ears usually only got cancelled if you didn't wear the headphones!

Reactions: 1 users
Aside from sustenance (food, drink, sleep) and money... I'd recommend books on finances. This is completely disregarded in most medical schools' curriculum. Two books that changed my life in terms of financial perspective and put me on the right track are Boglehead's Guide to Investing (generalized knowledge) and White Coat Investor (this is specific for doctors).

I've actually thought about buying White Coat Investor's Book for every intern class that comes in, but haven't gotten to doing that yet just fresh out of training.

Aside from sustenance (food, drink, sleep) and money... I'd recommend books on finances. This is completely disregarded in most medical schools' curriculum. Two books that changed my life in terms of financial perspective and put me on the right track are Boglehead's Guide to Investing (generalized knowledge) and White Coat Investor (this is specific for doctors).

I've actually thought about buying White Coat Investor's Book for every intern class that comes in, but haven't gotten to doing that yet just fresh out of training.
That's like getting socks for Christmas, though...useful, but not necessarily appreciated during the holiday.

That's fair, but have been surprised in life how many times what I wanted and what I needed were different things, and (turned out) what I needed was better.

FWIW,
That's like getting socks for Christmas, though...useful, but not necessarily appreciated during the holiday.
I personally found the books fun to read and extremely enlightening. It didn't seem like extra work, and I certainly wish someone handed them to me sooner.