useful iPad/iPhone apps for medical students

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

gte770m

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Any recommendations?

Thx

Members don't see this ad.

Sanford Guide - Can be useful although a bit overpriced for what it is.

Cardio calc - free app with lots of useful cardiology and non-cardiology calculators. Some of them are in epocrates as well but many are not

Members don't see this ad :)
MedCalc - use it often on inpatient
Diagnosaurus - use it everyday
Medscape - use it everyday
Epocrates
Micromedex
EyeChart
AHRQ ePSS - good for preventive med on outpatient
Derm101
SeizeTheDay - to do lists
Dropbox - mobile fileserver
Preg Wheel
ColorTest
QuickMedRef - in case you lose your Maxwell's

For iPad...

iAnnotate and Dropbox (by far number 1)
Muscle System Pro III
Modality Body (has everything from netters & Thieme to Rohen's)

Obviously, I'm a first year med student.

Why carry that around with you everwhere? Do people not have lives anymore? If someone gave me an iPad i'd give it back. I'd rather get a laptop! Where you can actually type.

I mean this with as little disrespect as possible, but... Are you old? It's much nicer to draw directly on-top of a PowerPoint/PdF file than to type in the notes field. You don't really get an iPad to sit and type on it and if you do, you're using it incorrectly.

Also, no one prints the PowerPoint slides anymore, for sake of not having to carry around 3,000 slides either printed too small to read or large enough that you break your back with giant binders.

I mean this with as little disrespect as possible, but... Are you old? It's much nicer to draw directly on-top of a PowerPoint/PdF file than to type in the notes field. You don't really get an iPad to sit and type on it and if you do, you're using it incorrectly.

Also, no one prints the PowerPoint slides anymore, for sake of not having to carry around 3,000 slides either printed too small to read or large enough that you break your back with giant binders.

That's false, I'm 22. Our class packets are printed for us with all of the powerpoints printed legibly. It's all I have to carry, weighs maybe 2 pounds, and I can take notes 1.5x faster by hand than you can fumbling around with your iPad.

Then to access my notes, I open my backpack and pull out the packet.