Useful iPhone apps for med?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Mithril

Johnny Canuck
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Are there any useful apps I could use to make learning in med school easier? I've heard of apps like Epocrates and I start med school in a few months, so I'd like to know.

Members don't see this ad.

MedCalc is really good.

I like Epocrates but it's getting more and more pushy about buying the paid version.

Pepid was good (I'm in EM, it has suites for other specialties as well) but when I moved from Palm to iPhone they wanted me to buy a while new subscription just to change platforms. That's ~$250 so I bailed on that.

Medscape is ok. :thumbup: it's free, you can do CME on it. :thumbdown: it can be a little hard to squeeze useful info out of it.

Pedistat is a nice program that's cheap (<$3) that is good for looking up pediatric code stuff. It's like a Broselow on your phone.

I like this one called Eponyms which is like a dictionary of Eponyms with a brief definition. Great for when you can't remember the difference between a Monteggia or Galeazzi fracture or Osler's nodes vs. Osler's sign.

Netter's anatomy flash card app isn't half bad. Useful if you want to do a quick review.

Members don't see this ad :)
I like Pedisafe, which is a list of peds normal ranges for vitals and dosing of some drugs... it's pretty cheap and since I can never remember those numbers pretty useful whenever I have to work with kids (which is thankfully rarely)

In my first two years i used the following

1) Epocrates (for pharmacology, and i think by being a student you can get full access)
2) Medscape (reference, it's free)
3) Eponyms (reference, I think it might be $1 or $2 if it's not free, but it's worth it)
4) First Aid Step 1 CK (this was a $50 app that I used to study for Step 1; extremely useful when you have 5-10 minutes with nothing to do, albeit an expensive app)
5) Cram (flashcard app for the phone that is integrated with a $30 computer program; I'm sure there are better flashcard programs out there that you should research. But having flashcards on your phone is extremely helpful. For example, I went through all of the neonatal teratogens while standing in line at Chipotle one day)
6) 3D Brain (Get this app if you're having trouble with visualizing neuroanatomy; it's cheap, it helps)
7) Instant ECG (I think this was $1 or $2, but it walks you through how to read a 12-lead)

Here are several that I've come across.

MediMath-comprehensive medical calculator
http://itunes.apple.com/us/app/medimath-medical-calculator/id289039914?mt=8

Med Mnemonics-Memory aids for iOS, WP7, and Android
http://itunes.apple.com/us/app/med-mnemonics/id328711340?mt=8

Med Abbreviations http://itunes.apple.com/us/app/medabbreviations-medical-abbreviations/id303058840?mt=8

Perfect OB Wheel-pregnancy calculator for iOS and WP7 http://itunes.apple.com/us/app/perfect-ob-wheel/id293656711?mt=8

ICD9 Consult- diagnosis coding guide for iOS and Android http://itunes.apple.com/us/app/icd9-consult-2011-free/id358845668?mt=8

NEJM has an app that updates weekly and includes research findings, case reports, and perspective articles.

Mental Case for your computer and iPhone: great flashcard app that syncs between the two. A bit pricey, but as someone said above, quick flashcards can really help with the retention by repetition route, and don't take long at all.

Not that it makes much of a difference and probably shouldn't be relied on, but it generates study schedules for you based on how frequently you get a card "right", given different goals you have (i.e. to know the stuff in a year or to cram for a test). Taking the cards you always get right out of the rotation shortens how long it takes and makes it easier to use. You can also use keyboard shortcuts to take screenshots.

i like Dynamed. i can see why it's not as popular among clinicians as ePocrates but it's great as a student because you get summaries of recent relevant research. ePocrates is most of a downanddirty with quick blerb monographs; first, second line Treatments and so forth

For "learning" I echo the previous sentiment about mentalcase. I use it along with several other students in my class and we swap cards. I also used the kaplan qbank and am using the world qbank app now.

For not looking like an idiot in third year, I use Diagnosaurus, Dynamed, Lexicomp, MedCalc, Pubmed ontap, ahrq epss and occasionally epocrates. My school pays for dynamed and lexicomp which are probably the most used apps on my phone.

Mental Case for your computer and iPhone: great flashcard app that syncs between the two. A bit pricey, but as someone said above, quick flashcards can really help with the retention by repetition route, and don't take long at all.

Not that it makes much of a difference and probably shouldn't be relied on, but it generates study schedules for you based on how frequently you get a card "right", given different goals you have (i.e. to know the stuff in a year or to cram for a test). Taking the cards you always get right out of the rotation shortens how long it takes and makes it easier to use. You can also use keyboard shortcuts to take screenshots.

I've started using StudyBlue, which works pretty damn well. It's free, but has its drawbacks, but at least it works on a number of different platforms. You can create your own flashcards or just share w/ classmates. Quizzes, flash card review, review sheets are all in the basic. The progress tracking leaves a little to be desired.

I use flashcard deluxe for d iphone n ipad n it's definitely d most useful app I've ever used for studying n believe me, I've used a whole lot - get cards effortlessly from quizlet n flashcard exchange.
Oda useful apps include lexicomp, readdledocs or goodreader for ur documents

I really like epocrates. I use it fairly often. If anyone is interested in going into plastics there is this great app my friend told me about. It has a lot of high yield pimp questions for various topics. It is a flash card type with question and answer. Its called Bradow's Plastic Surgery Q and A Review. There is this other one for emergency medicine called ERes that I also heard is pretty good.

The Uworld app is pretty useful for doing questions on downtime.

I really like epocrates. I use it fairly often. If anyone is interested in going into plastics there is this great app my friend told me about. It has a lot of high yield pimp questions for various topics. It is a flash card type with question and answer. Its called Bradow's Plastic Surgery Q and A Review. There is this other one for emergency medicine called ERes that I also heard is pretty good.

First off.....loving the name. Second, check out the echocardiography atlas, also from epocrates - it's awesome