useful second degree?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

wvupremed2

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
so, i'm a lot closer than i realized to meeting the requirements for my biology degree, and I have three semesters remaining, so I have some free space in my schedule. Is a second degree beneficial? I could easily get one in chemistry, but I was thinking something outside of science that would be more "artsy" and contribute to thought/communiation skills more. something like a degree in Classical Language and Civilization?

Members don't see this ad.

Yes, I highly recommend something in the arts, especially a major in the humanities. I am finishing my fifth year and finishing a philosophy major, and I have never been happier.

You could also spend a lot of time volunteering, if that's your thing. Or research, or study abroad. The possibilities are endless.

EDIT: But it does depend upon what you mean by beneficial. If you mean by enriching in your life, certainly. And I think it will certainly bring to bear a more humanities-oriented perspective than you otherwise would have had. I know certainly that my background in the arts has radically informed the kind of practice I intend to do, though it may not make much of a difference in the technical domain of practice itself.

I wouldn’t worry about getting a second major (as opposed to a minor or a bunch of classes) unless you can fit it in without packing your schedule too tight. I took overloads to get two and my GPA suffered a little as a result.

But I would certainly second everything synth said about the benefits of getting exposure to the humanities, as well as volunteering and studying abroad. I spent a year abroad and it was by far the defining aspect of my education.

Members don't see this ad :)
this would certainly be something done for myself, not just my future career. i really think an education in the humanities is an education in "life" itself. I know many people that are strictly "technical" or "creative" and run far from the courses opposing their interests/talents, but I really am 50/50. I have a sincere interest in the sciences, but I also love the aspect on life that the humanities have displayed for centuries. both define "life" in different terms, but the successful practice of medicine melds both definitions of "life" into the deduction and plan of treatment.

this would certainly be something done for myself, not just my future career. i really think an education in the humanities is an education in "life" itself. I know many people that are strictly "technical" or "creative" and run far from the courses opposing their interests/talents, but I really am 50/50. I have a sincere interest in the sciences, but I also love the aspect on life that the humanities have displayed for centuries. both define "life" in different terms, but the successful practice of medicine melds both definitions of "life" into the deduction and plan of treatment.

Definitely.

I third business...

Although, I think a business degree is generally a joke and the only way to learn business is to practice/live it.....but its at least an introduction and maybe a slight edge later